Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film Awards 2009 - Results

• 17-03-2010 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks to everyone who voted. 55 people voted altogether, and the results are below, along with the percentage of votes.

Best Picture: Tied - Inglourious Basterds / Moon (18.5% each)
    Best Director: Duncan Jones (Moon) (24.1%)
    Best Actor: Sam Rockwell (Moon) (35.2%)
    Best Actress: Marisa Tomei (The Wrestler) (47.9%)
    Best Supporting Actor: Cristoph Waltz (Inglourious Basterds) (74.1%)
    Best Supporting Actress: Melanie Laurent (Inglourious Basterds) (40.4%)
    Best Animated Feature: Up (61.5%)
    Best Screenplay: Inglourious Basterds (24.5%)
    Best Documentary: Encounters At The End of the World (43.2%)
    Best Special Effects: Avatar (51.9%)
    Best Foreign Language Film: Let The Right One In (Låt Den Rätte Komma In) (63.6%)
    Best Score/Soundtrack: Up (24.5%)
    Best Newcomer: Cristoph Waltz (Inglourious Basterds) (51.9%)
    Best Character: Hans Landa (Inglourious Basterds) (53.1%)
    Best Scene in a Movie: Up (Opening Montage) (37.7%)
    Film that Deserved Better: Moon (53.1%)
    Worst Film: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (36.4%)
    Most Overrated Movie: Avatar (49.1%)
    Worst Acting Performance in a Movie: Christian Bale (Terminator Salvation) (21.6%)

Full results can be found here: http://bit.ly/filmawards2009results
    (Flash Required)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Why do people like Moon? I didn't think much of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Mr E wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone who voted. 55 people voted altogether, and the results are below, along with the percentage of votes.

Best Picture: Tied - Inglourious Basterds / Moon (18.5% each)
    Best Director: Duncan Jones (Moon) (24.1%)
    Best Actor: Sam Rockwell (Moon) (35.2%)
    Best Actress: Marisa Tomei (The Wrestler) (47.9%)
    Best Supporting Actor: Cristoph Waltz (Inglourious Basterds) (74.1%)
    Best Supporting Actress: Melanie Laurent (Inglourious Basterds) (40.4%)
    Best Animated Feature: Up (61.5%)
    Best Screenplay: Inglourious Basterds (24.5%)
    Best Documentary: Encounters At The End of the World (43.2%)
    Best Special Effects: Avatar (51.9%)
    Best Foreign Language Film: Let The Right One In (Låt Den Rätte Komma In) (63.6%)
    Best Score/Soundtrack: Up (24.5%)
    Best Character: Hans Landa (Inglourious Basterds) (53.1%)
    Best Scene in a Movie: Up (Opening Montage) (37.7%)
    Film that Deserved Better: Moon (53.1%)
    Worst Film: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (36.4%)
    Most Overrated Movie: Avatar (49.1%)
    Worst Acting Performance in a Movie: Christian Bale (Terminator Salvation) (21.6%)

Full results can be found here: http://bit.ly/filmawards2009results
    (Flash Required)

Should have been The Hurt Locker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Why do people like Moon? I didn't think much of it.

Probably because it was a nice flashback to some of the old fashioned Sci-fi films instead of the normal guns/explosions/cgi affairs that Sci-Fi has given us over the last couple of decades.

That and a fantastic perfomance(s) from Sam Rockwell.

Should have been The Hurt Locker

Ah, now. Avatar is the high-king of overrated movies. Possibly the most overrated movie in history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

Nevermind.......... I like the results

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Personally I liked Moon because they made it for next to nothing (5 million).
    And if you put that up against something like Avatar (300 million), it really is amazing film making.
    Plus I thought that Sam Rockwell was fantastic. He's probably one of the most under-rated actors out there.
    Any science fiction that doesn't rely on cgi gets a big thumbs up from me.

Just a question. Did you see it in the cinema or on dvd?

DVD.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't think it was bad. It hands down kicked the head off Avatar, and for 1.7% of the cost. But people seem to be wetting themselves over it. As if it is up there with Alien, or whatever. I don't see that.

The first time I saw it in the cinema, I felt that it was one of the best films I had seen in a long time.
    Watched it on dvd a while back though and felt that it didn't transition to dvd particularly well.
    I would think peoples liking of it has something to do with the nostalgia factor.
    It's a throw back to before science fiction was considered so main stream.
    It's like the anti-Avatar.
    Plus I liked it because Sam Rockwell is probably my favourite actor, so I might have some sort of bias there.

I saw a great performance by him in this low-budget film set in some backwards towns in England. You know it, where he was in the army and came home to find that some gang were bullying his mentally retarded brother?

I loved him in that.

I'm fairly sure the one you are talking about is Dead Man's Shoes:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419677/

Which starred Paddy Considine, not Rockwell.

• Advertisement

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

No way did the Baler deserve the worst actor gong! :mad: Great stuff all the same. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Just a question. Did you see it in the cinema or on dvd?
    I really wanted to see it in the cinema, but it seemed to be on extremely limited release over here... even my local artsy cinema only played it for a week. In the end I settled for watching it at home, and still enjoyed it immensely. Easily one of my films of the year.

Great to see it getting so much support from fellow boardsies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Never seen Moon in the cinema listings but read about it last yaer and was dying for it and bought it as soon as was released. Epic epic film.

Newcomer?? Hardly!

Newcomer?? Hardly!

I know, it's a weird one alright.

53 year old actor wins best new comer...

But he is a new comer to Hollywood cinema though.

Edit: Or wait, maybe he isn't.
    It's just the first time he's come up on the radar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,666 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wow - surprised Inglorious Basterds was so popular. It was OK and all, but definitely wouldn't have put it as one of last years best films, and very surprised there is such a strong following of it here! Interesting result, although one I'm not going to argue with because I fear I'll be outnumbered :pac:. Waltz deserved it though.

Nice to see Moon getting such popularity too - it was a nice little underdog of a movie, and I must say I'm far happier seeing that win the bigger awards than many of the other competitors. Results are definitely less predictable than last years Dark Knight love-fest.

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    I know, it's a weird one alright.

53 year old actor wins best new comer...

But he is a new comer to Hollywood cinema though.

Edit: Or wait, maybe he isn't.
    It's just the first time he's come up on the radar.

Same as Super Furry Animals palying in the New band Tent at Oxegen few years ago while that Grohl monkey was palying wretched stuff on the main stage grrrr

The Road was far superior to Inglorious Basterds. Still loved Inglorious Though.

Worst film should have been Jennifers Body!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The Road came out in Irish cinemas this year, so it didn't qualify.
    It would have picked up a few awards if it was elligible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'd agree with most of the results, except I don't get the Basterds love.

I thought Cristoph Waltz was fabulous in it but besides that I wasn't really impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Still don't think Christoph Waltz is anything near a 'newcomer' but the people have spoken..
    Is Revenge of the Fallen really worse than New Moon or Couple's Retreat? :confused:
    And Bale getting worst actor... I think people haven't seen enough bad movies.

Other than that I like the list. Maybe change the title to the 'shudda won Osars'.
    Great to see Moon get some recognition. Maybe they'll put our awards on their DVD! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

The Spirit is easily one of the worst films ever made.

Thankfully enough people didn't see it for it to be nominated.

Galvasean wrote: »
    And Bale getting worst actor... I think people haven't seen enough bad movies.

haha yea when you watch as much films as I do I even enjoy the bad ones :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Kev O C

I never even heard of it and it's getting a lot of buzz. Seen it was down for most underrated.
    I'll havta watch it soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭crash davis

Hmm, interesting that Inglorious Basterds is so loved because I genuinely can't see it. Ok, it's enjoyable and diverting enough but Tarantino's penchant for mixing films with his own musical tastes really clash in this instance, plus quite a number of scenes are self indulgent to me in their own right, without the obtrusive soundtrack.

Still though, the opening scene along with the one in the basement tavern are classics. It's just his films never amount to much for me really. No heart.

Moon on the otherhand had an awful lot of heart and that's why, to me, it's a far superior film. Still not my fav of the year though.... that would be Un Prophete. Masterful piece of filmmaking. District 9 too. Great flick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 madclaff

"Inglourious Basterds" got six mentions in a possible 13 categories, "Moon" took most of the rest, I am obviously leaving out, best foreign, animation, documentary and worst films categories. I did enjoy both films, but am really surprised that these two films could dominate so strongly. I must have missed something:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭joker@

I can not understand this fascination with todays Tarantino cinema, unfortunately no longer.Stand in a place wthout progress.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement