Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

James Milner appreciation thread: The next Steven Gerrard?

• 17-03-2010 2:33pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭

okay maybe he isnt exactley like Gerrard in his style but after the season he he is having imo the consumate pro and ever improving James Milner deserves his own appreciation thread. The guy has been phenominal and as far as im concerned on form deserves to not only deserves to be at the World Cup but atm is deserving of a starting birth in the England eleven. For me he typifies everything you like to see in a player and he seems to be getting better all the time. Its not like this has been a one of season aswell as tbh i dont remember him having a bad one just each one has improved upon the last. Not to mention that he broke records at U-21 level and was playing CL football as a teenager.

So what do you all think of Jimmy? Think he could be the next Gerrard i.e the next top English midfielder who will be around and majorly influental at his club for the next decade? or think he is just this (and other) Villa fans current favourite atm?

Milner-celebrates-scoring-009.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

All hail Milner.

PS: Your picture is too large.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i liken him more to Roy Keane, as he's more disciplined than Gerrard could ever hope to be, without the explosive impact.

Milner is one of my favourite players, and if Capello had sense, would be in the England team instead of Gareth Barry.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

JPA wrote: »
    All hail Milner.

PS: Your picture is too large.

or not large enough perhaps, this man deserves a life sized pic methinks!

ill change it in a mo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Indeed let us all hail Milner, new contract from Randy if we take 4th methinks. He doesn't have the prima donna thing that Gerrard has going on.

SlickRic wrote: »
    i liken him more to Roy Keane, as he's more disciplined than Gerrard could ever hope to be, without the explosive impact.

Milner is one of my favourite players, and if Capello had sense, would be in the England team instead of Gareth Barry.

As his FF points tally indicates he is more of an attacking threat than Keane while maybe not being as good defensivley (although he is as you say pretty disciplined) hense i went for Gerrard and although he may not be as much of a explosive goal threat that is starting to change a bit also as he is now more centralised and getting into those positions. I dont think he is on Gerrards potential level at the moment no but he is still improving. It's not the point of the thread (Gerrard) really but im sure i know which player most Liverpool would have preferred for this season so far going on the two players forms.
    Indeed let us all hail Milner, new contract from Randy if we take 4th methinks.

I cant recall when he got his most recent contract (guess when he signed) but id be happy to give him a new long term one on much improved money if we dont finish 4th at any time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The boy has got a few goals this year and he is the next Stevie G or Roy Keeane! If Villa get 4th ye might even think he is better than both of them!
    He has talent and he will, with more experience I'm sure, become a very good footballer. I do not think he will ever be in the same category as Stevie or Roy - not many players get into that exaulted company.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    The boy has got a few goals this year and he is the next Stevie G or Roy Keeane! If Villa get 4th ye might even think he is better than both of them!
    He has talent and he will, with more experience I'm sure, become a very good footballer. I do not think he will ever be in the same category as Stevie or Roy - not many players get into that exaulted company.

honestly i dont think he can Roy (and as far as i know poster who referenced keane isnt a Villa fan well everyones a villa fan but they aint his 1st club ;)) but he is argueably the best Irish player ever but Stevie (who i do think is awesome or atleast can be) is not on that level and ive seen nothing to suggest that Milners constant improvement season on season will stop, if it was possible to give more than 100% in training and matches from what ive heard that unit of measurement would be called 1 Milner.

Milner isn't a Roy Keane type of midfielder at all at all, all they share is is an ability to run themselves silly for 90 mins. For the Keane role Villa have Stan Petrov.

Hard to call on Milners long term potential in CM seeing as he has only been playing there since October? however its been a pleasure to see him develop at VP (minus the lost years in the black hole that is St. James Park).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Milner's a good player , I have always like him, I wouldn't make comparisons for another few seasons yet.

Milner isn't a Roy Keane type of midfielder at all at all, all they share is is an ability to run themselves silly for 90 mins. For the Keane role Villa have Stan Petrov.

Hard to call on Milners long term potential in CM seeing as he has only been playing there since October? however its been a pleasure to see him develop at VP (minus the lost years in the black hole that is St. James Park).

one of the few players to have gone to newcastle and not have their career die on him, apparently while their he completely avoided the cliques of players and didnt go out drinking much with the other lads and often did extra training instead while still being liked by his teammates. Havng said that he could perhaps have developed more so if he wasnt in that sinking ship having not been called back from Birminghamat the last moment by freddy Sheppard when we last seemed to have signed him previously.

• Advertisement

Think the emergence of Milner in CM also shows how over rated Gareth Barry really was in the C&B, especially in his latter years. Yeah he had his moments but Milner offers so much more in every possible manner, the lack of goals from CM last year being one of the things that ultimately torpedoed Villa in 08/09 and made games like last night a draw instead of a win.

Class pic of Milner amd Ash also.

Milner is a very good player but not fit to lace Gerrards' or Roy Keanes' boots at their peak.

Think the emergence of Milner in CM also shows how over rated Gareth Barry really was in the C&B, especially in his latter years. Yeah he had his moments but Milner offers so much more in every possible manner, the lack of goals from CM last year being one of the things that ultimately torpedoed Villa in 08/09 and made games like last night a draw instead of a win.

Class pic of Milner amd Ash also.

still dont think Barry was over rated but he and petrov were not an ideal combination and Villa did lack a goal threat from CM which they have now with those two there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Yet another product from the mighty Leeds;)

don't get me wrong, he's not at their level yet.

but it seems he has the same influence over his team that some of the big players at other clubs have over theirs.

i don't think we should underestimate how immense he's been this season, and if he continues that vein for the next couple of seasons, then who knows.

he definitely has the potential, and the work ethic, and that's all i would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Give the chap a chance. He is only young and already ye are lumping unreasonable expectations on him.

Comparisons with Gerrard and Keane are laughable for the moment. He has only been doing it for 18 months. Give him another 5 or 6 years and see how he does in the biggest of matches before he can even be mentioned alongside players of that calibre.

Problem for Villa fans is whether he will remain at the club if he attains anywhere near that level.

Just seen he's only 24 :eek:

I could hae sworn he was about 27/28.

It seems like he's been about quite awhile.

still dont think Barry was over rated but he and petrov were not an ideal combination and Villa did lack a goal threat from CM which they have now with those two there.

Over rated might be harsh on my part but really i think the only defensive attribute that GB has over Milner is that he can hold up the ball slightly better and perhaps is more disciplined in the tackle (when he did make them). Even then Milners energy and general hussling style make him his match.

As for going forward there is no comparison between the two its Milner every time. And he takes better penalties too.

All in all Milner in CM > GB in CM.

As for England, i think its unlkely Milner will usurp Lampard in the centre, and GB to his credit has earned his role over the past few years as the water carrier in the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Give him time, but he looks a bloody good prospect. I'd be massively surprised if Villa don't get 4th if they don't get some serious offers for him. Another outstanding purcahse by MON

rarnes1 wrote: »

I would love to go back through the old Liverpool superthreads and abuse the people who said that he wasn't good enough for the club when we were linked with him.

• Advertisement

I would love to go back through the old Liverpool superthreads and abuse the people who said that he wasn't good enough for the club when we were linked with him.

f*ck me, he'd have improved us no end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,142 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Indeed. I'm just glad I was pro-him at the time. Really really wish we'd gotten him.

Always liked him since he broke Rooney's 'youngest premierleague scorer' record shortly after Rooney got it.

Give the chap a chance. He is only young and already ye are lumping unreasonable expectations on him.

He has not ever had a bad season ever since he debuted for Leeds at 16, that means he has already had the best part of a decades experience at the top level of the game at the age of 24 now so i see nothing wrong in seing if others think he could be as good as one of the best English midfielders around. I have said i dont think he is now, although yes his performances have been better than Stevies this year Milner is still not a better player.

He was linked with many clubs over the years. Everton supposedly turned him down.

You can bet a few big clubs will come sniffing for him if he keeps improving.

No disrespect to Villa.

He was linked with many clubs over the years. Everton supposedly turned him down.

No disrespect to Villa.

as i siad he was all but signed by Villa at one point only for Freddy Shepard to pull the plug on the deal at the eleventh hour. at that point he would have only cost 6m too and i was firstly shocked Newcastle were selling and secondly that nobody else was in for him with a bid.

He, Like Gabby and Ash are really happy at Villa atm so even if we get big bids for him in the Summer i dont see him going anywhere 4th or not this year. He cost 12m in the end id think he will easily cost 20m in the crazy market we have today considering Villa would not want to sell

Well he has been around 8 years at this stage!

No disrespect to Villa.

Who could come sniffing? United and Chelsea is all or a foreign club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'd call shenanigans on anyone naive enough to predict Milner will become the next Roy Keane, but the next Stevie G is well within the realms of plausibility.

No disrespect to fans of the man, but Keane >>>>>>>> Gerrard, hands down, every time, end of discussion (not to be starting a side discussion).

The only clubs that could afford Jimmy are Man City and the Spanish giants, unless Randy Lerner accepts payment in IOUs to financial institutions and crappy London apartments.

No Disrespect to those financial basket cases/clubs.

Who could come sniffing? United and Chelsea is all

I was thinking about these two.

He'd suit united.

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I'd call shenanigans on anyone naive enough to predict Milner will become the next Roy Keane, but the next Stevie G is well within the realms of plausibility.

No disrespect to fans of the man, but Keane >>>>>>>> Gerrard, hands down, every time, end of discussion (not to be starting a side discussion).

Different type of players ffs :rolleyes:

The only clubs that could afford Jimmy are Man City and the Spanish giants, unless Randy Lerner accepts payment in IOUs to financial institutions and crappy London apartments.

No Disrespect to those financial basket cases/clubs.

Can I have some of what you are sniffing?

If he his head gets turned, as with any player, they will leave before long. Barry is the perfect example of how playing hardball generally works out really.

If he his head gets turned, as with any player, they will leave before long. Barry is the perfect example of how playing hardball generally works out really.

dont know if Milner is the type to get his head turned atleast not in the short term future (This summer). He is happy and playing at a better standard than he has ever done, plus he will most likely get a new improved contract at the seasons end. Why leave when you are developing so well at the club you are currently at and playing every game.

and the Barry deal wouldent be a perfect exaample of anything imo he wanted to leave for CL football at Liverpool and wound up competing with Villa at City, not that his head wasnt turned at some stage but even then him being at a later stage of his career and already having spent a decade at Villa created a now or never dillemma for him in terms of moving

Precisely. One is the best midfielder to ever play in the premiership, the other isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

dont know if Milner is the type to get his head turned atleast not in the short term future (This summer). He is happy and playing at a better standard than he has ever done, plus he will most likely get a new improved contract at the seasons end. Why leave when you are developing so well at the club you are currently at and playing every game

I bet if they don't reach the Champions League his head will turn so fast as to fall off his shoulders.

If you ever need an example as to why lots of thread always end up being about Liverpool, there you have it..

If you want the discussion to continue being about Milner and not get swamped by fans defending Gerrard, I would suggest you stop being a tool.

• Advertisement

Precisely. One is the best midfielder to ever play in the premiership, the other isn't.

You do realise Gerrard has been playing as a forward the last few years?

Anyway, this is off topic. Apologies OP.

James Milner will kill you all for going off topic. He can fly you know.

0,,10265%7E8677895,00.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

gerrard is liverpools milner, not vice versa :P

dont know if Milner is the type to get his head turned atleast not in the short term future (This summer). He is happy and playing at a better standard than he has ever done, plus he will most likely get a new improved contract at the seasons end. Why leave when you are developing so well at the club you are currently at and playing every game.

I am not saying now. In a few years time maybe when he has developed fully. I am not saying that it is nailed on by any means but it has generally been the way things have worked out. There will always be a bigger and better club and the top players tend to want to play for those clubs at the highest level.
    and the Barry deal wouldent be a perfect exaample of anything imo he wanted to leave for CL football at Liverpool and wound up competing with Villa at City, not that his head wasnt turned at some stage but even then him being at a later stage of his career and already having spent a decade at Villa created a now or never dillemma for him in terms of moving

I don't see how Barry isn't the perfect example? He developed at the club, played the best football of his life at the club, was loved at the club and then had his head turned by a perceived bigger club.

Where he has moved to might not work out in the short term but his decision was pretty rational. He is far more likely to win trophies at City than he is at Villa. Again, not saying that it is nailed on by any means but

didnt go out drinking much with the other lads

hes never had a drink in his life

<3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

He is playing well at the moment. There can be no doubt about that.

He would certainly merit a starting spot on form. I hope he does well at the WC

If you ever need an example as to why lots of thread always end up being about Liverpool, there you have it..

If you want the discussion to continue being about Milner and not get swamped by fans defending Gerrard, I would suggest you stop being a tool.
    You do realise Gerrard has been playing as a forward the last few years?

Anyway, this is off topic. Apologies OP.

The gulf in class between Keane and Gerrard is pertinent here, because Milner has been likened to both in this thread. As a result there has been an arbitrary packaging of Keane and Gerrard into the one comparison by a few posters, which is harming the discussion.

It is easy to refute the point that Milner will never be as good as Gerrard or Keane, because the latter comparison is easily refuted; far easier to refute than the former.

The gulf in class between Keane and Gerrard is pertinent here, because Milner has been likened to both in this thread. As a result there has been an arbitrary packaging of Keane and Gerrard into the one comparison by a few posters, which is harming the discussion.

It is easy to refute the point that Milner will never be as good as Gerrard or Keane, because the latter comparison is easily refuted; far easier to refute than the former.

Just stop. PLEASE!

id think he will easily cost 20m in the crazy market we have today considering Villa would not want to sell

tbh £20m wouldnt get you his left bollock in todays market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

dsmythy wrote: »
    I bet if they don't reach the Champions League his head will turn so fast as to fall off his shoulders.

At a monstrous fee.

Just stop. PLEASE!

This is one of them times when one needs a multiple thanks button

Well he did say he didn't want to start a side discussion on the point but yet here you are....

Your girlish lungs probably wouldn't be able to handle what i'm inhaling.

Although i agree with your point that players can have their heads turned, i don't think Barry is a good example to use. Seeing as Villa will probably finish above both the team that tapped Barry up and (hopefully) the team who eventually bought Barry, i think Milner will know that keeping his star hitched to Villa will ultimately be a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I like the lad, great player and I hope he shines at the WC, also hope he gets villa that 4th spot

edit

How come majority of threads end up like this ?

i would almost guarantee you it wouldnt

for all his talent, milner is a pretty modest chap with no agent and a hell of a lot of love for villa since his first spell

how much? seing as you reference the CL spot im assuming you mean this summer so id take that bet methinks. The man doesent even have an agent

• Advertisement
Advertisement