Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

James Milner appreciation thread: The next Steven Gerrard?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

MON showed with the Barry affair that it's not simply a case of "turn up with the cash, get the player", when buying from Villa.

Milner showed at Newcastle that he still gives 100% even if he has his heart set on a move.

Therefore, I am not worried about him getting his head turned by any club as (a) he will likely remain at the club and (b) his performances will not drop.

There is also an argument to be made for (c) he'll be getting champions league football at Villa while also challenging for the EPL, so his head won't be turned in the slightest, regardless of who shows interest :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Helix wrote: »
    i would almost guarantee you it wouldnt

for all his talent, milner is a pretty modest chap with no agent and a hell of a lot of love for villa since his first spell

He doesnt have an agent ?

fair play to the lad, at least he can do stuff for himself unlike other players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

God I Love James Milner

Platonic Man Crush of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

JokerD wrote: »
    Yet another product from the mighty Leeds;)

+1 Great to see him doing well. Always rated him very highly ever since he was a kid. I'd also have him in the England team and not just the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Neil3030 wrote: »
    The gulf in class between Keane and Gerrard is pertinent here, because Milner has been likened to both in this thread.

i brought that comparison up, replying to BH originally with his Stevie comparison.

and i thought it was patently clear that i was merely pointing out which player Milner reminded me of in the way they played. not how good the respective players are. they're completely different types of player.

as ever, someone used it as a reason to make a sweeping statement that is bound to wind people up and take the conversation away from Milner.

i apologise for even daring to mention Keane so.

some class photos of Milner in this thread by the way, including the one that had to be deleted because of the size. where are you guys getting them?

orourkeda wrote: »
    God I Love James Milner

Platonic Man Crush of course

Milnerotica, as a great man once said. And it's perfectly acceptable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

SlickRic wrote: »

some class photos of Milner in this thread by the way, including the one that had to be deleted because of the size. where are you guys getting them?

from Villaland he is our Chuck Norris and Jack Bauer rolled into one

*Opens another bottle*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Headshot wrote: »
    He doesnt have an agent ?

fair play to the lad, at least he can do stuff for himself unlike other players

yup, the pfa represent him

his old pfa representative left to start his own agency and milner wouldnt go with him, saying that he had already decided that pfa representation was how he'd continue with his career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

yup, the pfa represent him

his old pfa representative left to start his own agency and milner wouldnt go with him, saying that he had already decided that pfa representation was how he'd continue with his career

he has already gone up in my estimation

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Headshot wrote: »
    he has already gone up in my estimation

its only things like that you ever hear about the lad, his idea of time off from football and having a good time is having a kick about down the local park.

he used to get told off at leeds for training too much

SlickRic wrote: »
    i brought that comparison up, replying to BH originally with his Stevie comparison.

and i thought it was patently clear that i was merely pointing out which player Milner reminded me of in the way they played. not how good the respective players are. they're completely different types of player.

as ever, someone used it as a reason to make a sweeping statement that is bound to wind people up and take the conversation away from Milner.

i apologise for even daring to mention Keane so.

Your post, as I have already made clear, was not the issue.
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Milner is a very good player but not fit to lace Gerrards' or Roy Keanes' boots at their peak.
    Give the chap a chance. He is only young and already ye are lumping unreasonable expectations on him.

Comparisons with Gerrard and Keane are laughable for the moment. He has only been doing it for 18 months. Give him another 5 or 6 years and see how he does in the biggest of matches before he can even be mentioned alongside players of that calibre.

Problem for Villa fans is whether he will remain at the club if he attains anywhere near that level.

These are the posts that prompted me to highlight the gulf in class between Gerrard and Keane and the consequential error in the compound comparison between these two and Milner.

Now I can't make my case any clearer than this so I'm not going to respond to any further accusations that I'm on a wind-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Lets all thank those 2 great guys - Peter Ridsdale & Mike Ashley - for their business acumen which has ultimately given us Jimmy Milner at Villa.

No wonder he doesn't have an agent when he has been exposed to those 'football businessmen' like above and Freddy Shephard from such a young age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Keane >>>>>>>> Gerrard, sher even I have as many Premier League winners medals as Stevie... :p

Back on topic, Milner eh... Good stuff......

he used to get told off at leeds for training too much

Its a pity there arent more leeds players like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've been very impressed with Milner. Looks a certainty for England's WC squad. If someone had told me last season he would eclipse Ashley Young this season I would have found the idea absurd but that's what's happened this season really.

Also, and without meaning to have a pop at Newcastle, but it's interesting to me how the careers of players have tended to skyrocket when they have left the club. Milner, Stephen Carr, Damien Duff, Michael Owen, Charles N'Zogbia etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

milner is a quality player. But not near the levels of gerrard yet, he certainly could in the future though. I was really hoping Rafa would sign him when we were linked wit him before and the usual spas were waxing lyrical about how he wasn't liverpool standard. ****in idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Fantastic player, that's my lot on this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Mr Alan wrote: »
    milner is a quality player. But not near the levels of gerrard yet
    Hes better than Gerrard at present, but no hes not better than Gerrard at his peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

CSF wrote: »
    Hes better than Gerrard at present, but no hes not better than Gerrard at his peak.

He is defo playing better than Gerrard this season.

• Advertisement

Most people are to be fair.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

People are saying that like it's some achievement lol. Considering Gerrard's poor form, a whole host of very good(Milner) to average players are vastly ahead of him this season.

Back to topic. Milner is a fantastic little player. Be it this season or in a year or two, if Villa aren't in the CL and a Man Utd or Chelsea come calling with a decent bid he'll be off IMO.

Like mentioned, disappointed Liverpool didn't sign him. Think we were linked regularly with him before we signed Pennant :rolleyes:

By a country mile. And in March of a season thats all you can really judge on, especially with Gerrard hitting 30. Gerrard will be a top Premiership player for a few years to come, but one can only see Milner going from strength to strength.

Considering Gerrard's poor form
    A whole season is not form. Tbh, thats your current level of ability. Gerrard will have to pick it up bigtime to compete.

I've been very impressed with Milner. Looks a certainty for England's WC squad. If someone had told me last season he would eclipse Ashley Young this season I would have found the idea absurd but that's what's happened this season really.

Also, and without meaning to have a pop at Newcastle, but it's interesting to me how the careers of players have tended to skyrocket when they have left the club. Milner, Stephen Carr, Damien Duff, Michael Owen, Charles N'Zogbia etc.

Skyrocket might be the wrong word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

By a country mile. And in March of a season thats all you can really judge on, especially with Gerrard hitting 30. Gerrard will be a top Premiership player for a few years to come, but one can only see Milner going from strength to strength.

There is absolutely no doubting that Milner will continue to improve.

He is a very good player, will probably become an excellent player but whether he will be included in those arguments about who is the best player in the world in that position is another thing.

That isn't meant as a criticism either.

As for Gerrard, he is having his worst season in memory. Something isn't right in his head. I personally hope he is sold on to someone like Real or City so that they can pander to his ego and we can buy a player than has the teams interest at the foremost of their mind.

To be frank, I would prefer Milner at the club despite the fact that Gerrard is a superior individual player.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

A whole season is not form. Tbh, thats your current level of ability. Gerrard will have to pick it up bigtime to compete.

I didn't phrased it correctly. But I agree. I don't post here much but I've made it very clear on other forums I use, Gerrard has frankly.. been utter ****e this season.

i agree wit almost every word of the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

milner is a quality player. But not near the levels of gerrard yet, he certainly could in the future though. I was really hoping Rafa would sign him when we were linked wit him before and the usual spas were waxing lyrical about how he wasn't liverpool standard. ****in idiots.
    I ve seen plenty of people get a yellow card for this

are you messing? go away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Must say I have jumped on the Milner bandwagon. He always showed promise since he was a young lad at Leeds and deserves an England place for the World Cup. He is lethal from long-range too.

He may be the sole reason that Aston Villa are as good as they are IMO

Why is this thread turning into a thread about Steven Gerrard?

Must say I have jumped on the Milner bandwagon. He always showed promise since he was a young lad at Leeds and deserves an England place for the World Cup. He is lethal from long-range too.

He may be the sole reason that Aston Villa are as good as they are IMO

Not the sole reason. He's had a big impact but Aston Villa arent a one man team.

Why is this thread turning into a thread about Steven Gerrard?
    Well its turning into a comparison thread, because thats who he is probably fighting with for an England starting spot.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

To be frank, I would prefer Milner at the club despite the fact that Gerrard is a superior individual player.

A friend who supports Liverpool and myself were talking the other day about the likelihood of Gerrard going to Real in the summer, and if he did who would they get, or more accurately, need to replace him. After running out of the few top class EPL players who they wouldn't be able to sign anyway like Lampard (too old), Fabregas (more likely to go to Barca), we came to the conclusion that the only player worth signing is Milner. He's been outstanding this season, and as has been mentioned previously, he's getting better every year. As a Leeds fan I've always rated him very highly, and it was obvious very early in his career that he'd go on to bigger and better things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

hes pretty good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Zaph wrote: »
    A friend who supports Liverpool and myself were talking the other day about the likelihood of Gerrard going to Real in the summer, and if he did who would they get, or more accurately, need to replace him. After running out of the few top class EPL players who they wouldn't be able to sign anyway like Lampard (too old), Fabregas (more likely to go to Barca), we came to the conclusion that the only player worth signing is Milner. He's been outstanding this season, and as has been mentioned previously, he's getting better every year. As a Leeds fan I've always rated him very highly, and it was obvious very early in his career that he'd go on to bigger and better things.

They can't afford him. If Gerrard does move they'll be shopping in Lidl and Aldi rather than Marks and Spencers. Think Lee Cattermole rather than James Milner.

Also LOL at Lampard's age preventing him going to Liverpool or Fabregas even considering them.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

one of the few players to have gone to newcastle and not have their career die on him, apparently while their he completely avoided the cliques of players and didnt go out drinking much with the other lads and often did extra training instead while still being liked by his teammates. Havng said that he could perhaps have developed more so if he wasnt in that sinking ship having not been called back from Birminghamat the last moment by freddy Sheppard when we last seemed to have signed him previously.

I don't think he drinks so that probably helped him at Newcastle. He said in some interview that he won't drink until he's retired because it might be bad for his fitness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

There is not a hope Milner will join LOLerpool within the next few years.

Why would he, they are on the decline, while Villa are on the way up.

He really seems to be enjoying life at Villa and he's not your typical footballer who's just motivated by money.

• Advertisement

Esse85 wrote: »

He really seems to be enjoying life at Villa and he's not your typical footballer who's just motivated by money.

also, theres not a hope in hell liverpool could afford him lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

He looks the real deal.....as a side note (most capped under 21s english player)

Well its turning into a comparison thread, because thats who he is probably fighting with for an England starting spot.

Its supposed to be a James Milner appreciation thread not who's competing for a midfield starting slot for england in the WC thread

Esse85 wrote: »

What took you so long?:):):):):):):):):):)

Its supposed to be a James Milner appreciation thread not who's competing for a midfield starting slot for england in the WC thread

If the heading of the thread didn't say "The next Steven Gerrard" it might stop the comparisons ;)

wow, some Villa fans might end the season quite embarrased if Villa don't grab fourth ahead of Liverpool. Afterall if they couldn't do that when Liverpool have been so **** this year, and had no money for the last few years, that would be quite the embarrasment for ye.

• Advertisement

wow, some Villa fans might end the season quite embarrased if Villa don't grab fourth ahead of Liverpool. Afterall if they couldn't do that when Liverpool have been so **** this year, and had no money for the last few years, that would be quite the embarrasment for ye.

as embarrassing as it would be for liverpool fans if villa finished ahead of them after expecting to challenge for the league this season?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    If the heading of the thread didn't say "The next Steven Gerrard" it might stop the comparisons ;)

Arent the comparisons pointless? Theyre completely different players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

I think it quite likely Villa finish above Pool but still not get 4th spot.

Milner get 15 league goals then we're in business.

as embarrassing as it would be for liverpool fans if villa finished ahead of them after expecting to challenge for the league this season?
    I think most Liverpool fans knew that we'd need stuff to go for us in order to challenge, didn't happen. Cest la vie.

I think it quite likely Villa finish above Pool but still not get 4th spot.

Milner get 15 league goals then we're in business.

How many league goals has he so far? I didnt think he'd even hit double figures yet in all competitions

• Advertisement
Advertisement