Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

James Milner appreciation thread: The next Steven Gerrard?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

orourkeda wrote: »
    How many league goals has he so far? I didnt think he'd even hit double figures yet in all competitions

I believe according to VT its 10 in all competitions inc. 6 in the PL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

jesus if jimmy manages 15 in the league we'll definitely get 4th lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

be interesting to see if a few Villa fans here change their opinion of Milner fairly sharpish considering he has seemingly told MON he wants to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Esse85 wrote: »
    Unlike you to be trying to stir sh1t :rolleyes:

That's hardly stirring. Someone in this thread said he's not that type of player but man city started to court his services he wants to leave.

It's a good point, one i would have liked to bring up in relation to cesc and barca.

Would be interesting to see how many people now dislike him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Mr Alan wrote: »
    be interesting to see if a few Villa fans here change their opinion of Milner fairly sharpish considering he has seemingly told MON he wants to leave.

My opinion of him still hasnt changed to be honest, its not like he is Mr Aston Villa, if he believes he has better prospects going forward if he was at Man City instead of Villa then he has a right to say he would like to leave. That is once he goes about it the right way (which he has, keeping stum to the media etc) and once Villa's valuation is met.

I fear that it might not be the best move for him as he wont get the same stability and guarantee of 1st team football he will at Villa but I still think he is a great player and the type of guy you would want at your club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Cesc is a slightly different situation.

he's been dedicated to Arsenal for almost 10 years; but was always going to leave. Arsenal fans knew this and never claimed anything different.

Al's posed a decent question. does the fact Milner is now seemingly not the perfectly wholesome individual he was often painted to be, change anything in Villa fans' eyes?

we've been asked this sort of question many a time RE: Gerrard in the Liverpool thread down the years, so it's not a sh*t stirring exercise, unless you choose to take it that way.

i personally think he's being a bit foolish, and Villa will be getting an extremely good deal if it goes through. Milner is a risk at CM; he's not yet top class there IMO, so not even close to worth the money, and City already have their share of wingers.

City will have a f*cking scary front 6 if it goes through; with 2 top quality players in almost every position there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i expect his career to go down down down hill the very minute he signs for city. lescott, barry, adabayor, santa cruz, rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

i expect his career to go down down down hill the very minute he signs for city. lescott, barry, adabayor, santa cruz, rinse and repeat.

Emmanuel Adebayor -

2008/09 - 27 games, 10 goals

2009/10 - 26 games, 14 goals

Downhill indeed

SlickRic wrote: »
    Cesc is a slightly different situation.

he's been dedicated to Arsenal for almost 10 years; but was always going to leave. Arsenal fans knew this and never claimed anything different.

Al's posed a decent question. does the fact Milner is now seemingly not the perfectly wholesome individual he was often painted to be, change anything in Villa fans' eyes?

wanting to play for another club doesent make you a bad person in anyway if like Jimmy you have gone about it the right way imho and villa fans wont even be too annoyed with the sale tbh considering the fees being talked about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

As a life long Villa fan and a huge admirer of James Milner I would never begrudge him a move to a bigger club where is virtually guaranteed Champions League football and realistic title challenges every season. If he moved to the likes of Man Utd & Arsenal for example then I would have no complaints but if he did move to City I would definitely questions his motivations, especially after reading reports like this in the media:
    Milner has made it clear that he would welcome the opportunity to complete a switch to Eastlands, with Villa's latest offer of a new deal turned down point blank. That contract would have made him the highest paid player in the club's history, but money is no longer an issue.

But at the end of the day no player is bigger then the club they play for and if Aston Villa were to get £30m for James Milner then it shouldn't matter where he goes as long as its in the best interest for the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

SlickRic wrote: »

Ostensibly, Al has tabled a good question, but in truth his question is pointless and inflammatory.

Of course people are going to change their opinion of Milner, seeing as he has shown a completely different character to that which prompted so many people to like him.

When the facts change, opinions change. Highlighting this phenomenon achieves nothing. Unless of course you're the type of person who get kicks out of rubbing people's noses in what might be perceived as bad news.

But of course, nobody around here is that petty. :)

Raekwon wrote: »
    As a life long Villa fan and a huge admirer of James Milner I would never begrudge him a move to a bigger club where is virtually guaranteed Champions League football and realistic title challenges every season. If he moved to the likes of Man Utd & Arsenal for example then I would have no complaints but if he did move to City I would definitely questions his motivations, especially after reading reports like this in the media:

But at the end of the day no player is bigger then the club they play for and if Aston Villa were to get £30m for James Milner then it shouldn't matter where he goes as long as its in the best interest for the club.

Afaic those quotes actually paint Milner in a good light. Its Man City or a new contract right now thats the decision and in that decision money wouldent be the issue when negotiating with Villa as no matter what we offer City will offer more. I honestly believe and i hate saying this as a Villa fan as he sees Man city offering more in the immediate future than Aston Villa.

Silva, Yaya etc on top of what they already had City are going to make an impact whether people want to admit it or not, maybe James just thinks that they are a club with more potential than Villa for winning things and thus progressing his career into maybe something akin to the thread title. I dont like that he thinks it but again can accept it as long as we get top dollar and he leaves the right way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

When we had Milner at Newcastle he always played his heart out and was easily our best player out on the pitch even when we were playing crap..he never gave up.
    I never begrudged him a move as long as it wasn't to Liverpool or Aston Villa :((couple of mates support them) and I'm delighted to see him move to Man City and a chance at winning trophies...hopefully it all works out for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

James had disappointed me, I guess I'm just too gullible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Emmanuel Adebayor -

2008/09 - 27 games, 10 goals

2009/10 - 26 games, 14 goals

Downhill indeed

lol, selective stats for the win.
    love the way you just "forgot" the other games he played over the past 2 seasons....his real stats if you want to measure him on are -

Full - As Sub - Total - Goals

Arsenal 2008/09 - 30 - 7 - 37 - 16
    City 2009/10 - 29 - 2 - 32 - 14

he was largely sh*te for City last year and looked a pale shadow of the player he was. you can throw up all the incorrect stats you want, but a player can have a decent run in front of goal and it can gloss his performances. he started the season well and got 4 or 5 goals in his first few weeks and then struggled for a huge proportion of the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

love the way you just "forgot" the other games he played over the past 2 seasons....his real stats if you want to measure him on are -

he was largely sh*te for City last year and looked a pale shadow of the player he was. you can throw up all the incorrect stats you want, but a player can have a decent run in front of goal and it can gloss his performances. he started the season well and got 4 or 5 goals in his first few weeks and then struggled for a huge proportion of the rest of the season.

He often played ****e for Arsenal aswell don't forget. The thing is he always has a decent return which is the most important thing with a centre forward. 14 goals in 32 games ain't bad at all, partially overshadowed by Tevez having an absolute blinder.

Firstly, 29 plus 2 equals 31, not 32, so at least I didn't make stats up. And even with that -

37/16 = Goal every 2.35 games

31/14 = Goal every 2.21 games

So in fact you've just proved my point more. Cheers!

He also 'struggled' because he missed three months of the season injured.

And to say he was 'sh*te' shows how much you really saw of City. But look, we all know you will never, ever give a City player (or potential one) and credit so it's a useless debate.

So, on topic, bring on Milner. He'd be an asset to any Premier League club given his general attitude and undoubted ability.

Afaic those quotes actually paint Milner in a good light. Its Man City or a new contract right now thats the decision and in that decision money wouldent be the issue when negotiating with Villa as no matter what we offer City will offer more. I honestly believe and i hate saying this as a Villa fan as he sees Man city offering more in the immediate future than Aston Villa.

But that's my point, money seems to be his number one motivation for this move. If he stays at Villa he will be paid more then any other player in the clubs history, be an integral part of the team, play every single game & possibly become club captain and an England regular (which will probably happen regardless). Can he be guaranteed at of that at City?
    Silva, Yaya etc on top of what they already had City are going to make an impact whether people want to admit it or not, maybe James just thinks that they are a club with more potential than Villa for winning things and thus progressing his career into maybe something akin to the thread title. I dont like that he thinks it but again can accept it as long as we get top dollar and he leaves the right way

City are not traditionally a big club and they will always be in the shadow of Man Utd and for this reason they are doing everything they can to rectify this situation and that could be their down fall. Throwing money around and assembling a squad of world class players with massive egos and ridiculous salary expectations will only lead to one thing............and it won't be the Premier League of Champions League title. If Milner move to City then he is only buying into a dream of what they could be.........and IMO that is a huge gamble.

City are not traditionally a big club and they will always be in the shadow of Man Utd and for this reason they are doing everything they can to rectify this situation and that could be their down fall. Throwing money around and assembling a squad of world class players with massive egos and ridiculous salary expectations will only lead to one thing............and it won't be the Premier League of Champions League title. If Milner move to City then he is only buying into a dream of what they could be.........and IMO that is a huge gamble.

What's the one thing it will lead to exactly? Success? As that's generally the formula. Money = Success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I appreciate Milners contribution to Aston Villa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Villa should be happy, an insanely large amount of money is probably on the way and they might get lucky and get another Richard Dunne-style gift from City.

Football has gone crazy if Milner is spoken of as a 30 million pound player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Villa should be happy, an insanely large amount of money is probably on the way and they might get lucky and get another Richard Dunne-style gift from City.

Football has gone crazy if Milner is spoken of as a 30 million pound player.
    Yeah they could end up with Stephen Ireland and Michael Johnson and big bucks too. Madness imo.

Milner is a fine player but I've still to be convinced that he is a central midfielder. He did well there last season for Villa but he was having a great season out wide before he was swtched to the centre.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah they could end up with Stephen Ireland and Michael Johnson and big bucks too. Madness imo.

Really? What makes you say Johnson will be used as bait?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Not sure anyone should be surprised Milner wants to leave Villa, he wasn't afraid to do the same at Leeds, or Newcastle either when a better offer came along.

Not that theres anything worng with that either mind you. I'm just surprised people would have thought he'd have some kind of loyalty to Villa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

You honestly think he has a realistic chance of regular football at City?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Michael Johnson makes Dean Ashton look like Brett Favre.

No ta.

He gets no games and he is 22, Milner is 24 and its pushing him further down the pecking order, I can't imagine he would be happy with that.

flahavaj wrote: »
    You honestly think he has a realistic chance of regular football at City?

Fully fit, yes I do.

I've seen nothing to suggest he would be used as part of any deal for Milner or anyone else, even if it's due to the fact that he won't actually be able to play until around Christmas.

He gets no games and he is 22, Milner is 24 and its pushing him further down the pecking order, I can't imagine he would be happy with that.

He gets no games because he has missed two seasons through injury. He wouldn't have played anywhere.

Milner is a fine player but I've still to be convinced that he is a central midfielder. He did well there last season for Villa but he was having a great season out wide before he was swtched to the centre.

He will do well to a point in central midfield and then will be found wanting at the highest levels. If Milner was from anywhere other than England he would be a 10 million pound player. A decent, hardworking player is very useful for any team, but it is not the type of player I'd spend that amount of money on.

If Villa were to get money and Ireland, that will be a fantastic deal. Stephen Ireland is a much better central midfielder in terms of footballing ability.

• Advertisement

He gets no games because he has missed two seasons through injury. He wouldn't have played anywhere.
    He wasn't out all last season though. He was stuck on the bench and couldn't get a game before Christmas, now there are players coming in that are clearly ahead of him in the pecking order.

He will do well to a point in central midfield and then will be found wanting at the highest levels. If Milner was from anywhere other than England he would be a 10 million pound player. A decent, hardworking player is very useful for any team, but it is not the type of player I'd spend that amount of money on.

If Villa were to get money and Ireland, that will be a fantastic deal. Stephen Ireland is a much better central midfielder in terms of footballing ability.

Agreed.

Nothing about him really impresses me that much. Not even convinced he'd be a 10 million player.

He wasn't out all last season though. He was stuck on the bench and couldn't get a game before Christmas, now there are players coming in that are clearly ahead of him in the pecking order.

But at the beginning of last season he was in the same boat he is now - recovering from a serious injury (he missed 08/09 and all preseason last year with a pelvic problem that wouldn't go away).

When he did play he looked great and I think he has a bright future once these injuries are behind him. I've watched videos and interviews with him on the current US tour and he looks good.

No way should he be used as bait, and I don't at all believe he will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Milner is at best a 10m quid player imo and theres something very wrong with the modern game when he is valued at anything near 30m. I thought Liverpool signing Glen Johnson for 18m was crazy but this just tops the lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

You mean like the time Gerrard wanted to sign for Chelsea and pool fans started burning jerseys with his name on them outside Anfield?

fullstop wrote: »
    You mean like the time Gerrard wanted to sign for Chelsea and pool fans started burning jerseys with his name on them outside Anfield?
    Yea, kinda like that, except with one fairly huge difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I heard a rumour that Milner might be going to United.

United couldn't afford to pay what it would take to get him.

United couldn't afford to pay what it would take to get him.

Watch this space . Apparently anyway.

ok, i'll be watching this space.

• Advertisement

this ( ) one

Yeah I guess Villa fans won't quickly stamp out the fire, head into the nearest shop and get a new Gerrard shirt proclaiming their undying love of him :D
    Sarge wrote: »
    I heard a rumour that Milner might be going to United.

That would just be awful. The complete opposite of what United need. United need a player comfortable on the ball and confident enough (and good enough) to pass it around and be creative in the latter stages of the Champions League/games against Chelsea and Arsenal. Not a converted winger who can run around but treats the ball at his feet as some form of alien being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The lack of burning jerseys?

I don't think Villa fans have any reason to feel upset if he leaves and I don't think they will be bitter about it anyways tbh.

The reason I feel they shouldn't be like this is because its very similar to when they got him from Newcastle. He wanted to join Villa but Newcastle didn't want to let him go, Villa kept pushing and they got their man.

Ush1 wrote: »
    What's the one thing it will lead to exactly? Success? As that's generally the formula. Money = Success.

You sound like Peter Ridsdale back in the late 90's and we all know how that ended ;) If invested wisely over a period of time and under the right circumstances then yes, money can lead to success (Chelsea under Mourinho is a prime example of this). On and remind me what Real Madrid won last season after spending €250m on players?

You sound like Peter Ridsdale back in the late 90's and we all know how that ended ;) If invested wisely over a period of time and under the right circumstances then yes, money can lead to success (Chelsea under Mourinho is a prime example of this). On and remind me what Real Madrid won last season after spending €250m on players?

Feck all. And? That's one season. They've spent heavily in their history and are the most successful club in the world.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Will be interesting to see where he goes. Good player but not top level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

That would just be awful. The complete opposite of what United need. United need a player comfortable on the ball and confident enough (and good enough) to pass it around and be creative in the latter stages of the Champions League/games against Chelsea and Arsenal. Not a converted winger who can run around but treats the ball at his feet as some form of alien being.

I've seen this said from time to time and I believe anyone who says it has not watched Milner properly at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Generally i find Villa fans are more in touch with reality then those who'll burn shirts or storm training grounds at the prospect of their decent players leaving, who can really begrudge someone leaving and doubling/tripling their wages?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

why would villa fans suddenly be annoyed with him?

its completely different to gerrard saying he may leave liverpool (why was that even brought up)

he has been with the club for a massive 2 years permanently. its not like he is born and bred, he's a leeds fan FFS.

no one could be annoyed with him. He sees the chance to go to a club that is on the up, instead of staying with a club that IMO, could go down this season(not relegated, but down the table). There is nothing wrong with trying to further yourself in your career when you have no real emotional ties with your club

Advertisement