Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break in attempt

• 17-03-2010 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

We think that someone tried to break into our house via the attic lifting tiles beside the skylight and leaving them neatly stacked on the roof. Has anyone heard about anything similar? We reported to the Guards.

Also has anybody fitted a lock to their stira and alarmed the attic? We have Eircom phone watch, but not in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

has anyone at all been caught breaking in or been done for breaking into houses around here. It's getting very regular according to these boards, and only a matter of time before a break in becomes alot more serious. What are the gardai doing, if anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

You'll find them on the N11, the Mill Rd and elsewhere catching people doing 41kph in a 40kph zone. Unfortunately there's no revenue in catching thieves.

Cynical maybe but true. I can't remember the last time one of these scumbags was caught. I've lost count of the amount of people done for minor motoring offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Swanner wrote: »
    I can't remember the last time one of these scumbags was caught. I've lost count of the amount of people done for minor motoring offences.

all that proves is you know a lot of speeders, but not a lot of burglars. Or are you basing your analysis purely on the Bray People court reports?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Gossie wrote: »
    We think that someone tried to break into our house via the attic lifting tiles beside the skylight and leaving them neatly stacked on the roof. Has anyone heard about anything similar? We reported to the Guards.

Also has anybody fitted a lock to their stira and alarmed the attic? We have Eircom phone watch, but not in the attic.

Did you open the skylight and see the pile of tiles? Do you mean ones on the roof, or from within the house/attic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

My parents were burgled twice, had one car stolen and burnt out in Greystones and the Police said they had no hope of finding who did it.

They are catching speeders every day in the Greystones area and sadly this is the only visible evidence of the Police doing anything regards law breakers.

A nice big list of people done for speeding in the Bray People no lists on the number of burglars convicted.

It is unfortunately a sign of the times that burglars are becoming desperate for money whether for drugs or simply to survive the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

loyatemu wrote: »
    all that proves is you know a lot of speeders, but not a lot of burglars. Or are you basing your analysis purely on the Bray People court reports?

Flawed logic.

I never said I knew the people done for speeding. I do however see the guards with their speedchecks on safe, large roads which happen to have ridculously low speed limits.

One of the people broken into at the weekend was told by the guards that they have to actually catch them in the act, well maye if they spent their time patrolling the estates instead of catching ordinary decent people going about their lives, there might be fewer burglaries.

Anyway, let's get back on topic.....

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Gossie,

Are you living in Charlesland? If so which estate?
    I find it hard to believe anyone would get up onto the roof with ease and start lifting tiles without being seen.

Maybe worth mentioning it to your neighbours and casually agree to watch out for each others houses. I know if i saw anything out of the ordinary I'd report it to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Ok, so we have established the Guards aren't going to put any effort into walking the beat, but will respond to calls if there is a break-in happening or has happened. If WE want to prevent this type of crime in our area perhaps WE should do something about it.

I think I've said this before - We need a grouped neighbourhood watch scheme and we have a nice community centre in Charlesland in which to meet and run it from.

I would welcome suggestions how this this can be organised. Those interested in keeping the community safe can liaise with the Guards or appoint an individual who can be a contact for the Guards to filter down any information worth taking on board about recent activities. In some way it can be an informal way of assisting the Guards in tackling this type of crime. Prevention is better than cure blah blah, if there is visual activity on our part, you can be sure there will be a reduction in this type of crime.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

The Police used to run a session with people wanting to setup a Neighbourhood Watch, providing guidance, stickers etc... haven't heard of them doing it recently.

So potential problems? While a tiny proportion of residents read these boards, most are Dublin Workers/Commuters who leave home at 7am and don't return till 7pm.

Also, the number of alarms going off in Charlesland means most people complain of the noise and not the concern about burglars.

I am all for the Neighbourhood Watch though.

Ending on a joke, maybe a Chip Shop would entice the local Constabulary to patrol more.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

I was broken into over a year ago and recently called into the police station to get an update as no-one contacted me since reporting it. I was under the impression that maybe they would follow up on some of the robberies in the area and update the victims. They didn't have a record of it and proceeded to try cover up with some rubbish! It appears to me that they do nothing to follow up on robberies.
    Things seemed to be quiet for a while but it appears that there's a rise again.

Gonna thrown some ideas out, not fully thought through but....

There is a single entry road into the estate, maybe a security camera system would deter criminals. Also, a large number of break-ins in the past were for cars, which means they have to drive out the same road. Surely having footage of them in their new car or the license plate of a car dropping the lads off can only help.

Is it possible to employ a private security company to patrol the area?
    I agree that the shuttle bus is useful, but only for a small %age of residents. A large amount of everyones management fees go towards paying for this but only a small percentage benefit from it. The rest of us essentially just subsidise other peoples commutes. Would the money not be better spent on something that the entire community benefits from?
    I'd rather feel my family are secure than know that my neighbour can catch a free bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Unfortunately the bus is part of the planning permission for the estate, so we're lumped with it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭GingerDave

Mullie wrote: »
    Is it possible to employ a private security company to patrol the area?
    I agree that the shuttle bus is useful, but only for a small %age of residents. A large amount of everyones management fees go towards paying for this but only a small percentage benefit from it. The rest of us essentially just subsidise other peoples commutes. Would the money not be better spent on something that the entire community benefits from?
    I'd rather feel my family are secure than know that my neighbour can catch a free bus.

Over the top in my opinion.
    I have never lived in a safer place than this, we don't exactly live in a getto!!

My family are 100% safe! Private Security company to patrol ....LOL. We don't live in South Africa!

Those concered should set up a Neighbour watch simple as that. In fact, I know most of my neighbours and we "look out" for each other, although there is no real need but its sensible to be vidulant.

Lets put this is to prespective please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Mullie wrote: »
    There is a single entry road into the estate, maybe a security camera system would deter criminals. Also, a large number of break-ins in the past were for cars, which means they have to drive out the same road. Surely having footage of them in their new car or the license plate of a car dropping the lads off can only help.

I think the camera is a good idea, especially considering the layout of the estate. Plus there would be very little maintenance involved, so the costs should be relatively low. It's not as if someone would have to monitor the camera feed 24/7. The archives would just have to be there for reference sakes. And, make the camera known and it will act as a good deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

The planning permission for a shuttle bus was due to there being no other public transport adjacent to Charlesland. For several years now, we have had the 184, 84X, Aircoach and if anyone can add to this be my guest.
    Personally, I could do without paying for a shuttle bus in my management fees, that I have used twice in 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Two Boys

There was talk of Neighbourhood watch a few years ago, My Husband put his name down but that was teh last we ever heard???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 JAYG

Was this in Charlesland?
    As someone who has worked on quite a few rooftops in charlesland i can say that the roofs are difficult to work on even with the correct equipment.
    To get a ladder up the front of the houses the pitch of the ladder would be very shallow due to the porch roof. Without securing the ladder it would slip away from the house as soon as you got anywhere near the top. Also because of this you would need quite a long ladder to reach the main roof.

To get up from the back you would have to climb on to the rear extension, i suppose this wouldn’t be too hard, you would then need to either put a ladder on the pitched rear extension to get on the to main roof or i suppose with difficulty get a bunk up from someone else.

The roofs are very steep as they were designed for attic conversions. Without a roof ladder they are quite difficult to walk up without slipping, from the front or back. I suppose there would be waysa round this if you know what you are doing but it would make a lot of noise.

I cannot see how any of the above could be done without someone noticing, it would be very dangerous, particularly at night in the dark.

Another way it could be done would be to climb out another attic window on the terrace and try and scoot across the roof from there but this would mean one of your neighbours is trying to rob you.

Obviously if this has happened it has happened but they must have been very lucky not to be hurt or seen or heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

I know, its hardly a ghetto. Far from it. But if you've ever been unfortunate enough to wake up to find someone in your house, like me last year, your perception of feeling safe in bed will change. The neighbours on my block have a good relationship and look out for each other too, but when its 3am in the morning and you've got someone coming up the stairs looking for car keys, getting the neighbourhood posse together isn't an option.

Yeah, private security is over the top, just throwing random ideas out. But what are the police doing? I called down to get some sort of reassurance from them that they are doing something about the problem but couldn't get any.
    We need some new ideas.

GingerDave wrote: »
    Over the top in my opinion.
    I have never lived in a safer place than this, we don't exactly live in a getto!!

My family are 100% safe! Private Security company to patrol ....LOL. We don't live in South Africa!

Those concered should set up a Neighbour watch simple as that. In fact, I know most of my neighbours and we "look out" for each other, although there is no real need but its sensible to be vidulant.

Lets put this is to prespective please.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

markest wrote: »
    The planning permission for a shuttle bus was due to there being no other public transport adjacent to Charlesland. For several years now, we have had the 184, 84X, Aircoach and if anyone can add to this be my guest.
    Personally, I could do without paying for a shuttle bus in my management fees, that I have used twice in 5 years

But you have used it!

Not everyone can afford a car and as the bus is built into the management fees, you knew about it before you bought your house / Apt. No point complaining in hindsight.

The bus is a great addition to the quality of life for the residents of this great estate!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Guys if you wish to discuss details about the bus service please create a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

But you have used it!

Not everyone can afford a car and as the bus is built into the management fees, you knew about it before you bought your house / Apt. No point complaining in hindsight. It's not hindsight, the permission was because there was no other public transport, which as said, is not the case now.

The bus is a great addition to the quality of life for the residents of this great estate!

Sorry mods, don't know how to start a thread, dumb or what!?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the bus has also been extensively discussed here in the past - it is part of the planning permission (and a rare example of sensible planning IMO).

WRT Neighbourhood Watch - is it not just neighbours watching out for each other and calling the cops if they see anything suspicious? Surely the type of person who would join NW is the type of person who'd do that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

loyatemu wrote: »
    the bus has also been extensively discussed here in the past - it is part of the planning permission (and a rare example of sensible planning IMO).

WRT Neighbourhood Watch - is it not just neighbours watching out for each other and calling the cops if they see anything suspicious? Surely the type of person who would join NW is the type of person who'd do that anyway.

At the end of the day they'll finally catch these {insert swear word here} and you'll see that there's probably no more than 10 people doing all these break-ins in the area. I think the camera idea at the entrance to the estate is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

yeah they'll catch them and nothing will happen or change till something proactive is done. Cameras at entrance isn't a bad idea. It's a start anyway. The short cut across the three trouts river is obviously a problem too. It seems to be a fairly busy path. Does anyone here use it? Shouldn't that be properly closed off.

I disagree that anyone is 100% safe as stated by another poster and the fact that the culprits will be caught.

If there is no investigation, no pursuit that you are relying on a householder to tackle the intruder and hold them until the Police arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

astrofluff wrote: »
    I think I've said this before - We need a grouped neighbourhood watch scheme and we have a nice community centre in Charlesland in which to meet and run it from.

I would welcome suggestions how this this can be organised.

Astro

There is a Neighbourhood Watch scheme already in use in Charlesland Court.
    I suggest you have a member of your residents association or managing agents contact the Gardai and set the wheels in motion....it really doesn't take too much organisation to get the project off the ground, and it really is a proven method of crime prevention.

As for the cameras idea, well, the theory is good, but the fact is, that there is more than one way in and out of Charlesland, and from my experience (having being burgled twice - not in Greystones), the criminals got away on foot both times.
    Also, the cost of installing a camera, and having the footage monitored, is fairly expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

If there is no investigation, no pursuit that you are relying on a householder to tackle the intruder and hold them until the Police arrive.

Erm.....is this a statement?
    I.E. are you implying that if the gardai don't launch investigations with little to no evidence to lead then the people who's house is invaded must engage in the dangerous activity of restraining the invader? There by placing themselves in danger or at possible risk of prosecution?

Thats kind of silly isn't it?

For what its worth, I know somebody who was burgled recently in Greystones.
    The Burgler was caught within 8 hours by the gardai.

Its a fact.. If the Police don't investigate, no offender can be determined ergo no one is apprehended or convicted.

In the instance where the Police are not there when someone breaks into your house at 3am, you either do nothing and wait for them to leave or do something.

If you want to capture the intruder then you have to act, if you don't then fair enough.

Silly? Depends on whether you want to protect your family or not I guess.

You might have experience of an offender being caught in 8 hours, but the vast majority of offences go unpunished. In my parent's case we know who did it, the Police know who did it, but they advised they would have to catch them in the act.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

If you want to capture the intruder then you have to act, if you don't then fair enough.

Silly? Depends on whether you want to protect your family or not I guess.

And say said burglar knocks the stuffing out of you?
    Or you get stuck for assault?

How, pray tell, will that protect your family.
    Everybody can be a tough nut when they are talking.

I would have though that properly securing your house was the way forward.....

I don't see how wanting to protect your home and family is tough talk but likewise I don't see the sense in dragging this thread off topic, so back to the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Gossie

Hi there! The community guard called us yesterday and told us that there have been no break ins in Charlesland in a long time. We got the roof fixed, so hopefully nothing more will come of it.