Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelchair Fan Skewered At AC/DC Gig

• 17-03-2010 3:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

Here is the full Story
    The man's friend accidentally struck the joystick with his hand, and the wheelchair shot forward and fell off the platform.

Some friend

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Full article:
    A quadriplegic man has been seriously injured at an AC/DC concert after his friend hit the joystick of his motorised wheelchair, catapulting him into the mosh pit.

Witnesses said a metal pin used by the 31-year-old man to manoeuvre objects embedded in his eye as his chair crashed more than a metre to the floor of Brisbane's Queensland Sport and Athletic Centre.

The venue is facing criticism for not placing a proper barrier in front of the wheelchair podium.

The platform had side and rear barriers, but the only barrier at the front of the podium was a strip of timber and plastic caution tape.

The incident happened as more than 45,000 fans enjoyed the legendary Aussie rockers' second of two sold-out shows in the city.

The man's friend accidentally struck the joystick with his hand, and the wheelchair shot forward and fell off the platform.

A witness said the man's friend was "shattered, just devastated by what happened".

Paramedics immediately attended to the injured man, a former truck driver who was paralysed in an accident.

A hospital official said the man is out of intensive care but remains in a serious, but stable condition.

Stadiums Queensland, the organisation which controls the venue, issued a statement saying it was aware of the incident and was investigating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Oh god... That's awful :( Poor guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

bazmaiden wrote: »
    Some friend

The story does not suggest anywhere that it was intentional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I know it's a terrible time for friends and relatives and I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy......

But c'mon, it's hilarious! I ask you now, who didn't laugh? G'wan, be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

wipe that grin off ur chin. if it is in any way funny lets say it's total taboo and should be kept very private to the person that finds mirth in it ok. scoured the net for footage.. luckily there's none he may be in extreme pain for a while (had his eye skewered? ffs) and sight restricted but the embarrassment is saved. as are the inevitable chuckles.

cos there's many a twat that get through the harsh realities of day to day living by way of cheap laughs to comfort them and sucking their thumb for comfort whilst tryin to find any semblance of humour through what they perceive as a scary movie..

:confused: cmon u know one at least

• Advertisement

Star Bingo wrote: »
    wipe that grin off ur chin. if it is in any way funny lets say it's total taboo and should be kept very private to the person that finds mirth in it ok. scoured the net for footage.. luckily there's none he may be in extreme pain for a while (had his eye skewered? ffs) and sight restricted but the embarrassment is saved. as are the inevitable chuckles.

cos there's many a twat that get through the harsh realities of day to day living by way of cheap laughs to comfort them and sucking their thumb for comfort whilst tryin to find any semblance of humour through what they perceive as a scary movie..

Nice insult! Pity your eloquence couldn't quite hide your obvious patronising streak.

I derive humour from the dark, there are plenty others with humours like mine. And I'm not ashamed of it. So please do me a favour quit trying to "thank whore" and get off that high horse. Thanks buddy.

chin_grin wrote: »
    there are plenty others with humours like mine

yup yer called ****ing plebs. with the potential to fall for too obvious a bait are you looking to hook up with them through the misfortune of an invalid, meet like minded individuals? shouldn't be hard so good luck. but you can laugh alone i just hope the guy don't read this thread

yup yer called ****ing plebs. with the potential to fall for too obvious a bait are you looking to hook up with them through the misfortune of an invalid, meet like minded individuals? shouldn't be hard so good luck. but you can laugh alone i just hope the guy don't read this thread

Man, seriously, lighten up. I can tell you're not a South Park viewer then no?

I agree it's terrible what happened, it's the way it happened that I find hilarious. It's a one in a million, a fluke, a stroke of bad luck. Surely you can appreciate that macabre-ness of it all? Just look at the Darwin Awards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,214 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Oh jesus christ. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. It's as hilarious as it is tragic. The poor dude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

I'd say you're some craic

• Advertisement

oisin u need do neither hell why even comment.. chin a quadriplegic cartoon kenny i don't give a toss about. i laughed at a few able-bodied white collar workers display their mobility by believing they could fly at 9/11 but instant death is light relief next to a life of total lockdown.. gave myself a seized up back one time maybe you should give yourself one n realize regardless of skewering an eye more than just a few days of that even is fairly insufferable.. as are ya if you laugh at this so wise up.

-gerard C tbh i'd take one o them black cat hurley sticks n give u a craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Folks, please leave out the personal abuse.

Master of the Universe

oisin u need do neither hell why even comment.. chin a quadriplegic cartoon kenny i don't give a toss about. i laughed at a few able-bodied white collar workers display their mobility by believing they could fly at 9/11 but instant death is light relief next to a life of total lockdown.. gave myself a seized up back one time maybe you should give yourself one n realize regardless of skewering an eye more than just a few days of that even is fairly insufferable.. as are ya if you laugh at this so wise up.

-gerard C tbh i'd take one o them black cat hurley sticks n give u a craic.

Hang on a second now, laughing at people jumping out of a flaming building live on tv with no hope other than death as a relief you consider funny -

Yet extremely odd circumstances coming together resulting in a very weird injury isn't?

Sorry but you have that the wrong way around!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Hang on a second now, laughing at people jumping out of a flaming building live on tv with no hope other than death as a relief you consider funny -

Yet extremely odd circumstances coming together resulting in a very weird injury isn't?

Sorry but you have that the wrong way around!

depends on what context you put it in really dunnit. for instance my suffering was shortlived reading your short post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Take it to Humanities, guys. This is a place of rock and metal \m/

...and love <3

Master of the Universe

depends on what context you put it in really dunnit. for instance my suffering was shortlived reading your short post

Bad comeback was bad.
    Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Take it to Humanities, guys. This is a place of rock and metal \m/

...and love <3

Ah yes little Kitten, but sometimes Metal is angry. Angry and violent!

Being skewered in the eye from a high fall at an AC/DC gig, now that's just pure metal.

\m/ ^_^ \m/

o1s1n wrote: »
    Being skewered in the eye from a high fall at an AC/DC gig, now that's just pure metal.

\m/ ^_^ \m/

well maybe then he should have just fallen on to a hard rock then cos thats about all ac/dc amount to. and he would not have lost his eye.. sh*t oisin u seem to have a third one maybe u could lend him that, smartarse?

Master of the Universe

well maybe then he should have just fallen on to a hard rock then cos thats about all ac/dc amount to. and he would not have lost his eye.. sh*t oisin u seem to have a third one maybe u could lend him that, smartarse?

Maybe he couldn't take the awfulness of AC/DC any more?

Maybe he wanted to crowd surf?

We will just never know.

maybe. but one thing is he did not see it coming anyhow, so whats another eye. or maybe he just wanted to rock, then roll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

That's literally the most Spinal Tap story I've read in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I just wanted to say this is the funniest thread I've read in a long time, best arguements ever!!

Firstly it really was a one time freak accident. I wonder S. Bingo, would you have giggled if the person who got skewered was able to walk?? Bet it would have been a completely different arguement then!

Awful story yeah god love the poor fella but I bet most people who read it laughed a little! I did but admittedly had my hand over my mouth and peered over my computer to see did anyone notice like the personification of paranoia! :rolleyes:

I see your point S. Bingo, hope him or his friends don't see the posts but you could say that about any situation that's going on atm I suppose.. :(

Sorry for bringing up this thread again but it really is hilarious!

LMAO at this:

"Maybe he couldn't take the awfulness of AC/DC any more?

Maybe he wanted to crowd surf?

We will just never know."

Brilliant!

*stands and claps manically*

Advertisement