Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere to dump old petrol?

Options
  • 17-03-2010 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

Was doing a clean of the garage and found a few old petrol cans, they must be there 6 or 8 years I'd say so don't really want to use it. Any1 know if any of the recycling depots have a facility for taking it or what else could be done with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

You could try it and mix it with new petrol and use it in the lawnmower or something.
    By the way, i'm in no way a scientist, or have any petrol related education, so do so at your own risk, or just try it in someone else's lawnmower .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    ...or just try it in someone else's lawnmower .

That's an intelligent bit of advice alright!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Makes an excellent weedkiller!
    ( on pathedges i mean, will kill everything )

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'd say take it to your mechanic or a local garage they surely have to have some eco way of disposing of oil and fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

You could take it to the recycling centre out the Dock road, they may be able to help you.
    If you bring it to a garage they may charge you €5, the last time I had my car serviced thats what I was charge for the disposal of the oil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

or just try it in someone else's lawnmower .

Absolutely class! :D:D:D
    Remind me NEVER to lend you a lawnmower!

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

I'm not a scientist either, but won't it just evaporate if you leave the cap off for long enough?

The wider the container its in, and the more surface area it has to evaporate, the quicker this will happen.

As an example, have you ever noticed that if you spill some on the forecourt while filling your car - its gone in seconds?

May not be an option for the OP though.

MtM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

I'm not a scientist either, but won't it just evaporate if you leave the cap off for long enough?

The wider the container its in, and the more surface area it has to evaporate, the quicker this will happen.

As an example, have you ever noticed that if you spill some on the forecourt while filling your car - its gone in seconds?

May not be an option for the OP though.

MtM

nice recipe for a potential fire bomb, in an enclosed space petrol fumes can ignite or explore by the arcing of a light switch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

snowman707 wrote: »
    nice recipe for a potential fire bomb, in an enclosed space petrol fumes can ignite or explode by the arcing of a light switch
    LightBulbDrawing.png

Bingo!!! Come up with fun and amuzing ways of burning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

There's always one bright spark! :rolleyes:

Do this outside, of course.

MtM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dangerdunf

Use it to clean alloy wheels or exhausts. Works really well. It will also remove tar from your car but it might not be good for your paint work!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Let me introduce you to a game we played in our younger days
    1) get one of those foam indoor footballs.
    2) Soak it in petrol
    3) ignite
    4) from here on, football rules apply!

Voila, FIREBALL!!!

On me head!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    You could try it and mix it with new petrol and use it in the lawnmower or something.
    By the way, i'm in no way a scientist, or have any petrol related education, so do so at your own risk, or just try it in someone else's lawnmower .

Ingenious, loved that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Thanks for the replies, cleaning the alloy wheels and weed killer seem like good uses for it!
    Cheers

Advertisement