Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycletouring in northern ireland?

Options
  • 17-03-2010 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭

does any northern cycle tourists ever post here,the reason i ask i want to tour northern ireland during these summer months,i want to know what is rated best from other cyclists regarding best campsites/ routes, good places to stop along the route,
    i toured around lough erne last summer lovely area but the campsite was terrible way to expensive for a one man tent and bloody noisy:(
    hope someone chimes in here thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Thread would probably be better put in the main North forum...

Anyway I know of a couple of nice spots for stopovers for cycle type tours to get you started - try Meelmore Lodge on the edge of the Mournes, cracking wee spot for hikers and campers, and a cafe on site for a fry up too :)http://www.meelmorelodge.co.uk/

The Shepherds Rest near Draperstown is a nice wee spot on the edge of the Sperrins with camping.

There are lots of camp/caravan sites on the north coast but they're more your holiday parks and some turn the noses up at tents. There are council run pitches where you'd maybe get more luck at in Cushendall and Cushendun and a great site at Carnfunnock outside Larne for tacking the Antrim Coast run from.

If your in Fermania again I used to go to a wee spot at Blaney on the south shores of the Lower Lough, and on the Upper Lough you could maybe try the Share Centre at Lisnaskea. I'd presume your previous Lough Erne site was Castle Archdale?

Hope that helps for starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

fantastic news thanks a million,i could only find the big sites myself the smaller more friendly one's are very hard to find.
    i have no route in mind i reckon my first and last day's will be the longest comming from drogheda so i could make the meelmorelodge my first stop for the night and plot a route from there ,any suggestions greatly appreciated .;)
    oh yeah you are right on the campsite we stayed at certainly not the place for a hungry tired cyclists to stay the night:mad:

Advertisement