Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Beer

• 17-03-2010 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Kölsch

Served cold in those little 20cl glasses. Doesn't taste half as nice in pint glasses.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Ponster wrote: »
    Kölsch

Served cold in those little 20cl glasses. Doesn't taste half as nice in pint glasses.
    So under "price" you're including travel to Cologne? Expensive beer ;)

Of those available in Ireland, Superquinn's €2.60 Schneider Weisse is a great offer. Plus, anything less than your first-born is worth it for Aventinus. And if your first-born is especially ugly you might have to give it some thought.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

BeerNut wrote: »
    So under "price" you're including travel to Cologne? Expensive beer ;)

€45 for a 3h14min train ride on weekends :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Rothaus Tannenzaepfle and Jever are my favorites

Honorable mention to Kostritzer too

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Frankenheim Alt but I can't ****ing get it in this **** bastard country.

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    Frankenheim Alt but I can't ****ing get it in this **** bastard country.
    They used to sell it in DrinkStore and Redmond's, but I think it's gone. Never been a fan, even in Düsseldorf.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

Augustiner Helles 50cl bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Berwick

judas101 wrote: »
    Rothaus Tannenzaepfle and Jever are my favorites

Rothaus is fine!

But I prefer half a liter of it - not the small Tannenzäpfle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

My favourite I've found so far is Pinkus Special. Love it! Before I had a Pinkus, it was Augustiner Edelstoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

i hear good things about the pinkus, have yet to try any of them. My fav would be weihenstephaner, either the hefeweiss or the dunkel, love them both

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

ERIDINGER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

+1 for the Rothaus Tannenzäpfle
    and Maisels Weisse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Schlenkerla rauch Marzen or most Munich Dunkels like König Ludwig Dunkel/, Paulaner Alt Münchner etc

Aventinus wheat dopplebock fantastic to name a few

BeerNut wrote: »
    They used to sell it in DrinkStore and Redmond's, but I think it's gone. Never been a fan, even in Düsseldorf.

Maybe it's better as a distant memory then, I had in majorca of all places I found this German guy who owned a bar, and majorca is a borderline beer desert, but in the absolute ridiculous heat, cold Frankheim Alt was absolutely amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Schlenkerla Marzen gets my vote, Delish.
    Kostritzer is quite nice also or any good Schwarzbier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Ponster wrote: »
    Kölsch

+1

Takes a bit getting used to it, but its so nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Weihenstephaner hefe weiss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,081 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had a Augustine Maximator for the first time the other night...mmmMMm I like!
    Augustiner Edelstoff is a favourite lager of mine.
    Love Schneider Original and Aventinus is special.
    Weihenstephaner Dunkle is often drunk and I like their Korbanian too.
    Kostritzer is nice.

So many German beers I haven't had - must try harder:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

For the money (and addressing the OPs question), normal Franziskaner if available at < 2 Euro is probably the best bang for your buck balancing quality taste and price IMHO.

If I had to give one tip from personal taste (for what I see is available in Ireland), it would be to try the Hacker-Pschorr Sterne Weisse in the plop top bottle that is new into the drinkstore.
    A magnificent Weissbier, slightly darker than normal. Not too sickenly sweet after a clatter of them either!!
    If confronted with a Getränkemarkt with no end of Weissbeers, I'd often reach for the Sterne Weiss above the other couple of dozen Weissbeers available.

Augustiner Helles is my favourite beer, but at Irish prices I'd be drinking weissbier for the simple reason that a good Helles just goes down too good and I'd be bankrupt before you know it!
    And before anyone mentions it. NO, there's no point drinking Spaten Helles as an Augustiner substitite. Not when theres Franziskaner available for the same price.

Disclaimer: living in Munich my tastes are skewed to Bavarian beers. A decent Düsseldorf Alt or Cologne Kolsch would probably be on the top of my list if I lived up there, and if it were at the 2 Euro mark they would be a cracker for value for money (relative to Irish beer prices).
    (Although when over 50% of workers dont pay a cent of income tax, the Irish government has to tax everything else including beer to the hilt to make up for it, so dont blame the Irish drink stores for the high prices!!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 On the Bench

krombacher. is it still on tap in the bull and castle?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

Anyone like Maisels weisse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

+1 for Augustiner Helles or edels both very similar but probably the best beers ever :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

For the money (and addressing the OPs question),

Augustiner Helles is my favourite beer, but at Irish prices I'd be drinking weissbier for the simple reason that a good Helles just goes down too good and I'd be bankrupt before you know it!
    And before anyone mentions it. NO, there's no point drinking Spaten Helles as an Augustiner substitite. Not when theres Franziskaner available for the same price.

Tell me about it.Bought 3 bottles on the way home from work yesterday from Sweeney's in Glasnevin which cost me €10.50. For €9.80 I could have got 5 bottles of Spaten but as you said Spaten Helles is not an Augustiner substitute.Before Christmas I bought a 30 bottles of Augustiner Helles from www.beerangel.com for €64.30 including delivery which worked out at about €2.14 a bottle. But that company seem to be gone now....:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

Depends on what you are into really. I am not a fan of Weiss beers. Really like a good pils. Have you tried Krombacher its excellent and Fresh are doing a really good deal at the moment. Its on tap in Coppinger Row restaurant in Dublin City. Lovely served in a 30cl glass, like any beer, not good from a pint glass. I was in a place in Germany this February called Wurmlingen and we ate at the local brewery where I tasted the local beer called Kirsch, without doubt the nicest beer I have ever had.

Bugnug wrote: »
    Lovely served in a 30cl glass, like any beer, not good from a pint glass.

As much as that's bull****, I agree.

I just like beer in that size of a serving, it has no effect on taste but it does effect my enjoyment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

PWEI wrote: »
    Tell me about it.Bought 3 bottles on the way home from work yesterday from Sweeney's in Glasnevin which cost me €10.50. For €9.80 I could have got 5 bottles of Spaten but as you said Spaten Helles is not an Augustiner substitute.Before Christmas I bought a 30 bottles of Augustiner Helles from www.beerangel.com for €64.30 including delivery which worked out at about €2.14 a bottle. But that company seem to be gone now....:confused:

i used to be a good customer of www.beerangel.com also but they are gone now.
    is there any suitable alternative? anything from 2.50e or less for a bottle of augustiner delivered would suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nickcave

only a fool wouldn't say Kaiserdom... 6x500ml for €6.36 in Dunnes. Been drinking it for years now. There is no better!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

nickcave wrote: »
    only a fool wouldn't say Kaiserdom... 6x500ml for €6.36 in Dunnes. Been drinking it for years now. There is no better!

the hefeweissen is quite boring i thought, dunkel only slightly better

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

+1 for Kostritzer - I'm partial to dark beers anyway.

Schoefferhoffer is tasty as well during the summer - available in aldi.

Advertisement