Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Beer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 liam-h

+ for Weihenstephaner, also Tegernsee is great, shame that Beerangel is gone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

nickcave wrote: »
    only a fool wouldn't say Kaiserdom... 6x500ml for €6.36 in Dunnes. Been drinking it for years now. There is no better!
    Picked up a can of the Bamberger Kaiserdom pils there in Dunnes at easter for about 2.30 for the litre can, if anything because I wasnt familiar with the brewery despite spending a weekend up there in Bamberg.
    Pleasant enough stuff and not too bitter for a pils. So it gets the thumbs up from me.
    And for the price its fantastic value for a drinkable brew from the (self acclaimed) german capital of beer!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Was thinking I might try ERIDINGER this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Picked up a can of the Bamberger Kaiserdom pils there in Dunnes at easter for about 2.30 for the litre can, if anything because I wasnt familiar with the brewery despite spending a weekend up there in Bamberg. !

If I was in Bamberg i Kaiserdom pils would be the last beer i would be looking for, so much great Rauchbier to sample

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Another vote for Augustiner.
    Spaten for 1.99 in Aldi, or 5 for 10 euro in the off license in Nutgrove SC, is a beautiful beer and a bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

oblivious wrote: »
    If I was in Bamberg i Kaiserdom pils would be the last beer i would be looking for, so much great Rauchbier to sample
    I thought only shenkerla did the rauchbier.

Either way, theres a a shed load of unfiltered lagers along with the weissbier from the city and region across the various pubs up there. No need to go anywhere near a pils is right.

BUT, the OP was looking for options and value for money in Ireland, and with that in mind, for the irish price the dompils isnt a bad choice.

It pains me to say it, but the current deal on Becks in Tesco at 70c a 280ml bottle (15 euro for the box) is probably also about as good as it gets for half drinkable german beer in ireland.
    In desperation I ended up plumping for this option also over the easter and was surprised how mild the taste was (compared to the rancid earwax taste of normal pils beers).
    Are they now putting what is known in germany as "becks gold"** into the green bottles for the irish market or something?

** becks gold = becks' attempt at a munich style non earwax tasting lager beer. Its not the worst.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I thought only shenkerla did the rauchbier.
    Spezial do it too, but theirs isn't as smoky as the Schlenkerla range.
    how mild the taste was
    I've always found Beck's to be pleasantly low on the earwax factor. Proper pils drinkers probably think it's too bland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Never been a big fans of Pils to be quite honest but like Becks :rolleyes:

Love the earwax descriptor on the pils taste ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

Pocaide wrote: »
    Anyone like Maisels weisse

Ja!

tried the alkoholfrei Maisel Weisse today .. its actually not bad.

current fav: augustiner lagerbier hell.. recommend anyone try it..but they'll have to buy their own ( its 3.50€ a btl )

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

Ja!

tried the alkoholfrei Maisel Weisse today .. its actually not bad.

current fav: augustiner lagerbier hell.. recommend anyone try it..but they'll have to buy their own ( its 3.50€ a btl )

I was in the village on wexford street last night and was given the non alco maisel weisse by mistake, took one sup, didnt like it. When i got the proper one thought it was ok, was drinking franziskaner before it, prefare that but the franziskaner was 5.60 a bottle and the maisel weisse was only 4.50 a bottle so stuck with that!!! Both good weisses though imo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

I was in the village on wexford street last night and was given the non alco maisel weisse by mistake, took one sup, didnt like it. When i got the proper one thought it was ok, was drinking franziskaner before it, prefare that but the franziskaner was 5.60 a bottle and the maisel weisse was only 4.50 a bottle so stuck with that!!! Both good weisses though imo!

you should have had more than one sup :)

had another one today.. as far as non-alcoholic beer goes i think it's the kaiser.

meant to mention another german beer , konigsbacher pils, from Koblenz ( near cologne ) . Has anyone seen it on sale in Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

They have Frankfurter Pils in ALDI for about €7 or so for six 500ml bottles. It's not bad at all.
    slayerking wrote: »
    Schlenkerla Marzen gets my vote, Delish.
    Kostritzer is quite nice also or any good Schwarzbier

Can you get that somewhere in Ireland? Haven't had that for many, many years.

Can you get that somewhere in Ireland? Haven't had that for many, many years.

Redmonds of Ranelagh and Deveney's - Dundrum have both the Schlenkerla Marzen and Ur bock

You can also order direct from Schlenkerla this have good shipping rates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Franziskaner is a favourate of mine. You can get great deals in it too. (5x500ml bottles for a €10)

Zulu wrote: »
    Franziskaner is a favourate of mine. You can get great deals in it too. (5x500ml bottles for a €10)

Great Hefe and cant beat the price too

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭crótach

Of the bottled supermarket beers I really like Duckstein and Mönchshof, matured in wooden barrels you can't beat the taste.

Köstritzer also gets my vote but it's been mentioned here before :)

Of the more local variety, I absolutely love the beers from Blesius Garten, Kulturbrauerei Heidelberg or one of the many many eco-breweries in Freiburg. Unfortunately those have a short shelf-life and are only available locally. Not that the short shelf life was ever a problem for me :D

Kellerbier is my favourite type, I have yet to find one that dissappoints!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭pfm

Zulu wrote: »

Currently EUR 1.86 a bottle in Lidl!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

pfm wrote: »

seriously?????????? That's unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

oblivious wrote: »
    Redmonds of Ranelagh and Deveney's - Dundrum have both the Schlenkerla Marzen and Ur bock

You can also order direct from Schlenkerla this have good shipping rates

I had a look at the schenkerla.de website and it's about €50 for 20 bottles... it is truly astounding that this includes the shipping of about 15kg from Germany and yet works out as being no more expensive than buying it here retail. :rolleyes:

Do they have Köstritzer in Deveney's, BTW? I'm not sure if you meant that or the Schenkerla...

I had a look at the schenkerla.de website and it's about €50 for 20 bottles... it is truly astounding that this includes the shipping of about 15kg from Germany and yet works out as being no more expensive than buying it here retail. :rolleyes:

Do they have Köstritzer in Deveney's, BTW? I'm not sure if you meant that or the Schenkerla...

schenkerla , have not seen Köstritzer in a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Christ on crutches!!! Thats fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Is it back in lidl ? I didn't see it in my local lidl today at all :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

pa990 wrote: »

The stock has been hit and miss over the last 6 weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Berwick

For me Rothaus and Riegeler are the best beers.

R&R - like Rolls Royce! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

not in my lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gerbo

May have been mentioned already but "Graffenwalder" Hefe Weizen from lidl is fantastic and very good value at about €1.20:eek: a can. But careful not to confuse with the pils when buying as the can is very similar. The pils is good too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭pfm

pa990 wrote: »

It seems to be a semi-permanent item in Lidl. Normally 1.99 per bottle, but was 1.86 last week on Thomas St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,582 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Binding is the popular Pils around Frankfurt, and it's quite nice. Krombacher's also quality. For Weiss beer, I like Fransizkaner.

You never normally order by brand here though - just ask for a pils, hefe, kristal or whatever.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Agree with the Kolsch recommendations, lovely stuff, anywhere in Ireland this can be picked up? I think the Porterhouse do it every often but would love to be able to get in from an off license.

Altbier isn't too bad either, remember my first drink of the stuff, we'd arrived in Dusseldorf, offloaded our stuff at the hostel and walked into a bar. After having spent about 4 seconds sitting down one of the waiters came over and slapped a glass of altbier in front of each of us, left a beer mat with our tab written on it and walked off without a word. No one had made any attempt at ordering but the fella had just assumed we all wanted an altbier, woulda been funny if someone was driving or something. Could only imagine what would happen if barmen here started dishing out pints of stout to people as soon as they walk in the door. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

irish_goat wrote: »
    Agree with the Kolsch recommendations, lovely stuff, anywhere in Ireland this can be picked up?
    You sometimes see Früh in the decent offies here, though the bottled version is a pale shadow of the cask Kölsch you get in Cologne.

Advertisement