Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Beer

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

pfm wrote: »
    It seems to be a semi-permanent item in Lidl. Normally 1.99 per bottle, but was 1.86 last week on Thomas St.

The Franziskaner went down to 1.86 in the budget last year but when it returned to my local lidl recently it's been put back up to 1.99. Naughty Lidl, did you think we wouldn't notice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Morgase wrote: »
    The Franziskaner went down to 1.86 in the budget last year but when it returned to my local lidl recently it's been put back up to 1.99. Naughty Lidl, did you think we wouldn't notice?

maybe a few 'queries' to customer.services@lidl.ie might change things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 treacy52

Some crackin prices on some really lovely German beers recently alright.

One that I absolutely loved but hadnt seen around at all over the last good while was Warsteiner, but they had it in the window in Deveney's in Rathmines at 6 big bottles for a tenner when I was there last week. Decided it was too good to pass up but it seems a few others had beaten me to it cos it was sold out!:(

Still though, it worked out grand cos he pointed out a few spare smaller bottles of it in the "nearing best-before" fridge. Still had about three/four months left on them so don't know why they were even there. Lovely beer but not always the easiest to find unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Radeberger :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jsoc

I came across the last bottle of Berliner Kindl in Aldi Rathmines (for approx. 1.80 a bottle) today and I got some Tucher export (from the Nuernberg area) for the same price. Did not know they were selling this..just happened to be passing and found it....wonder if it's found in other Aldi's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Tucher is a great beer.

My favourite German beers are Augustiner Edelstoff and Rothaus Tannenzaepfle. I've been told they sell Edelstoff in the Castle Inn (opposite the Lord Edward)..think it's called the Bull and Castle now. Not sure if you can get Tannenzaepfle here. Thankfully I visit Germany often enough to satisfy my thirst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

jsoc wrote: »
    My favourite German beers are Augustiner Edelstoff and Rothaus Tannenzaepfle. I've been told they sell Edelstoff in the Castle Inn (opposite the Lord Edward)..think it's called the Bull and Castle now. Not sure if you can get Tannenzaepfle here. Thankfully I visit Germany often enough to satisfy my thirst.

Also available in a number of good off licenses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Fart wrote: »
    Tucher is a great beer.
    Tucher weissbier is a good beer which is what I presume you meant.

Tucher Helles though .......
    Christ is that one dung horrible crap excuse for beer.
    Its not just bad. Its undrinkable. Its like some c*nt came up with a recipe to blend the essence of brusselsprout and earwax, mix in the nuance of sewage, and serve it cold as an amber liquid.
    Its just nasty.

Its just surprising how they can make such a pleasant Weissbier and f*ck up the helles.

Is there a difference between Export and Helles?
    Anyway thanks also for the tip earlier on
    http://www.schlenkerla.de/indexe.html
    I've just ordered 20 bottles of smoked beer for 53 euro (4 euro paypal charge)
    Wife's birthday coming up and she loves this beer..I'll try one or two as well ;)

• Advertisement

I couldnt say what the export is like with Tucher. Theres an off licence in my apartment building (:D) and they stock some Tucher beers so if they have that I'll get a bottle and see if its any addition.

Export normally is a slightly more tasty, slightly more sweet, slightly more potent beer if any of the other bavarian breweries are to go by. So maybe theres a hope that Tucher Export is drinkable.
    Export also has a tendency to give you a thumper of a headache the next morning compared to the regular slightly more mild and less alcoholic helles.

If youre into export beer, the Augustiner Edelstoff is lovely and as mentioned above is available in Ireland.

What is turning into a cult beer in Munich amongst those in the know is the Tergensee Spezial, which is Tegernsee's export beer. Its magnificent stuff too and their bog standard helles is also very very drinkable (and just for infos sake, if on holiday in Munich you'll find Tergensee as the lager beer option in places that serve Schneider Weissbiers!).

Tucher weissbier is a good beer which is what I presume you meant.

Tucher Helles though .......
    Christ is that one dung horrible crap excuse for beer.
    Its not just bad. Its undrinkable. Its like some c*nt came up with a recipe to blend the essence of brusselsprout and earwax, mix in the nuance of sewage, and serve it cold as an amber liquid.
    Its just nasty.

Its just surprising how they can make such a pleasant Weissbier and f*ck up the helles.

Just shows you the Reinheitsgebot dose not produce quality beer!!!

oblivious wrote: »
    Just shows you the Reinheitsgebot dose not produce quality beer!!!
    is right

The daddy of all crap german beers though is Öttinger which is by far the best selling range of beers in germany.
    Why are they the most popular?
    cos they are cheap. Fiver a crate (of 20 500ml bottles) for weissbier or lager or export.
    Officially at least they stick to the Rheinheitsgebot and don't add chemicals but they try every trick in the book to brew as quickly as possible regardless of the quality they output.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

got me some Franziskaner in the Lidl in Clonee.
    they had 10 cases of it-now they got 9.
    i tried the lidl in Trim and Maynooth but they dont stock it.

got a few cans of Grafenwalder=hefe weissbier
    i find it ok=100 times better than the pils.
    got it last year in keg form,not seen it since.

also got a few btls of Schofferhofer in Aldi maynooth= 1.70euro a btl

Can't say I agree with your Öttinger statement. In Germany I've noticed that it works out at approx. 40 cent a bottle while others charge 80 cent. Wonder how they do that? I've tried Öttinger and they are fine. Don't reach the hights of Edelstoff etc but I'd put Öttinger way before any of the American named beers sold in Ireland.

re Tucher.....
    jsoc wrote: »
    Is there a difference between Export and Helles?
    <snip>
    There is. So I tried to buy a bottle of export yesterday to see if it was any better than my (perieved) opinion of the awful helles.
    Bought a bottle of Tucher "Original Urbrau helles" yesterday.
    Only 4.9% so the strength of a Helles but the Urbrau name is being used more and more by export style beers so I presumed I was buying export. (from the website their Export is different so this actually is/ seemed to be the evil helles I mentioned before)

T'was lovely though. I'd put it above Spaten, Löwenbrau or Hofbraü Helles. Top stuff altogether. Tasty but without being too hoppy.
    On 3 occassions I have encountered "Tucher helles" on Draught in Nürnbug/ Würzburg and its pure rancid.
    I'm confused!!!

I can only presume that what is sold as "Helles" on draught is actually their pilsner. On the website they make claims that their Pils is "super intensively hoppy with a characteristic bitterness".
    Sounds suitably rank to put you off the stuff!!!

So anyhow, if you see "Tucher Urbrau Helles" bottles knocking about, go for it!!!

EDIT: just checked the Tucher website again.
    In large self cooling 20L barells the Helles is a 4.8% brew and no mention of Urbrau
    In bottles the helles is a 4.9% brew and is titeled with Urbrau
    So indeed, the draught "Helles" brew is a special (crap?) different brew than what you get in the bottles

re Tucher.....

There is. So I tried to buy a bottle of export yesterday to see if it was any better than my (perieved) opinion of the awful helles.
    Bought a bottle of Tucher "Original Urbrau helles" yesterday.
    Only 4.9% so the strength of a Helles but the Urbrau name is being used more and more by export style beers so I presumed I was buying export. (from the website their Export is different so this actually is/ seemed to be the evil helles I mentioned before)

T'was lovely though. I'd put it above Spaten, Löwenbrau or Hofbraü Helles. Top stuff altogether. Tasty but without being too hoppy.
    On 3 occassions I have encountered "Tucher helles" on Draught in Nürnbug/ Würzburg and its pure rancid.
    I'm confused!!!

I can only presume that what is sold as "Helles" on draught is actually their pilsner. On the website they make claims that their Pils is "super intensively hoppy with a characteristic bitterness".
    Sounds suitably rank to put you off the stuff!!!

So anyhow, if you see "Tucher Urbrau Helles" bottles knocking about, go for it!!!

EDIT: just checked the Tucher website again.
    In large self cooling 20L barells the Helles is a 4.8% brew and no mention of Urbrau
    In bottles the helles is a 4.9% brew and is titeled with Urbrau
    So indeed, the draught "Helles" brew is a special (crap?) different brew than what you get in the bottles

Export was a slight stronger version of German pills, although now days that may not be the case and Hells was a Munich version of a golden lager like a of a Czech plisner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Hi Oblivious, I just tried Schlenkerla Rauchbier for the first time today, is fantastic, a bit steep at 3.59 a bottle in Rathmines offo though, know anywhere in Dublin thats cheaper (apart from mail order)?

cheers

Andy

Sorry Technocentral i don't know of any where cheaper, that not on line

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

a bit steep at 3.59 a bottle in Rathmines offo though, know anywhere in Dublin thats cheaper
    €2.95 in DrinkStore, probably something similar in Deveney's Dundrum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

I usually drink Schneider Aventinus or Weltenburger Kloster Asam Bock. I prefer the darker beers. Someone earlier in the thread suggested Erdinger-that's a very average beer.

Naturally not many of the really good German beers are available on a widespread scale here in Ireland. However, some of the wheat beers are nice and can be found almost anywhere, like Paulaner. You have to go to a really decent offy to find the best German beers.

I'm dying to try the Ayinger Celebrator but the guy supplying it to Ireland has knocked it on the head.

I prefer the darker beers. Someone earlier in the thread suggested Erdinger-that's a very average beer.

Their dunkel hefe is nice IMO

I'm dying to try the Ayinger Celebrator but the guy supplying it to Ireland has knocked it on the head.

Salvator paulaner is available as a dopplebock sub

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

RE Tucher, if you're ever in the north they sell 500ml bottles of the stuff in Wetherspoons for £2.40(I think) and they have the wheat beer glasses and all. Bargain if you don't mind Wetherspoons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

They are selling Tucher Ubersee Export in Aldi now for €1.69. This is stronger than the aforementioned Toucher Hellas,it's 5.3%.
    Aldi also have two other new German beers; Henninger and Berliner Kindl.
    Both are also €1.69 and are both 4.8%. Anybody know anything about them?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

PWEI wrote: »
    T
    Aldi also have two other new German beers; Henninger and Berliner Kindl.
    Both are also €1.69 and are both 4.8%. Anybody know anything about them?

I used work in Berlin (long time ago) and found that Kindl almost gave you a hangover before you started. I tried a few bottles of it from Aldi (be careful - the box is labelled Kindl but contains a mix of beers) and we both found that we had sore heads after 4-5 bottles.

Henninger used be in Ireland years ago and I never thought much of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

for german beer lovers..........
    i got a delivery from http://www.mein-biershop.de during the week. 40 bottles of Augestiner helles @ 2.07e a bottle delivered! thats 0.92c a bottle with 23.5 euro postage per 20 bottle crate(1.18 per bottle) . ordered on monday payed by paypal and delivered thursday, magic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Had some of the Tucher Ubersee Export last night. I wasn't bad,a typical export flavour that's a little bit sweet with a good head. Not bad for €1:69.
    Tried Henninger also and that was just pure bland,wont be buying that one again. Going to have a bottle of the Berliner Kindl now.

Advertisement