Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help ID'ing a bird

• 17-03-2010 5:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering what type of bird this is?

birdt.jpg

He's been eating from our bird feeder for the last few hours today but we're not sure what he is.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

PPC wrote: »
    Hey,

Just wondering what type of bird this is?

He's been eating from our bird feeder for the last few hours today but we're not sure what he is.

Thanks in advance!

Goldfinch. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Goldfinch. :)

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭1squidge

Hello ppc, Just looking at your feeder, maybe its the picture but have your peanuts been in the feeder long, The reason I ask is I made the mistake of leaving the peanuts in my feeder for too long and they started turning mouldy which can be quite harmful too the birds. As I said it might be the pic so pardon the Phrase your nuts look to be a bit off

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

1squidge wrote: »
    Hello ppc, Just looking at your feeder, maybe its the picture but have your peanuts been in the feeder long, The reason I ask is I made the mistake of leaving the peanuts in my feeder for too long and they started turning mouldy which can be quite harmful too the birds. As I said it might be the pic so pardon the Phrase your nuts look to be a bit off

I was going to suggest that you get one of these nyjer feeders. Goldfinches love nyjer seed. Lots of goldfinches visit my garden. If you do get one, also get a seed tray as well that fits underneath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

JimiMac wrote: »
    I was going to suggest that you get one of these nyjer feeders. Goldfinches love nyjer seed. Lots of goldfinches visit my garden. If you do get one, also get a seed tray as well that fits underneath.

Goldfinches, linnets and greenfinches all come to my nyjer feeder. The seed is expensive, but goes a long way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

They don't seem to pushed at my place. Sparrows go mental for the nyjer though. All the finches tend to stick with the sunflower seeds for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Unfortunately they had been out during the cold and we hadn't changed them, once we spotted the bird we changed them out.

Must look into getting a nyjer feeder aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭1squidge

Yes the Goldfinches and linnets love the nyger seed, I also use sunflower hearts which all the finch type birds go mad for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I love the picture :)!

Advertisement