Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incorrect price tag

Options
  • 17-03-2010 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭

i was wodering what are the rules/laws if sayi see an item that has a price tag of 10euro.
    Then when i go up to the counter they say "its marked at the wrong price and is actually 15"

I told her that its marked at 10 so you have to sell it at that but then she countered saying they are well within their rights to tell you the correct price and refuse to sell it at 10..

Is this correct or not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

google 'invitation to treat' ... retailer does not have to honour any price tag.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

the price tag on a item is only an invitation for you to purchase that item and the contract is not completed until you hand over the money.

it doesnt matter what the price tag says.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Yeah it is right, they don't have to sell it to you for the marked price, the offer is only made at the till

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Fol20 wrote: »
    i was wodering what are the rules/laws if sayi see an item that has a price tag of 10euro.
    Then when i go up to the counter they say "its marked at the wrong price and is actually 15"

I told her that its marked at 10 so you have to sell it at that but then she countered saying they are well within their rights to tell you the correct price and refuse to sell it at 10..

Is this correct or not.

It always bothers me when "empowered" customers start thinking Tesco's policy on wrong pricing supercedes the law. Simple mistake which you were notified of immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

search google actually scratch that, search this forum for "Invitation to treat" and you'll get your answer. Its been asked here enough times!!

• Advertisement

sesna wrote: »
    It always bothers me when "empowered" customers start thinking Tesco's policy on wrong pricing supercedes the law. Simple mistake which you were notified of immediately.

You shouldn't get bothered so easily, not everyone knows the law.....

IrishTonyO wrote: »

to the dismay of counter-staff on minimum wage who have to listen to such crap from customers on a daily basis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Whilst the retailer does not have to sell at the price marked (otherwise hundreds of dishonest people would go into shops changing prices) they must change the price displayed within a reasonable time as ottherwise they are open to prosecution over mis display of prices.

to the dismay of counter-staff on minimum wage who have to listen to such crap from customers on a daily basis

Well they wouldn't have to, if their colleagues didn't incorrectly price items

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

But you'll find that counter staff have to put up with abusive rants that begin with "I know my rights..." when they clearly don't and end with "...Joe Duffy will hear about this."

• Advertisement

Was in a shop recently where there was a buy-one get-one-free on a certain brand of toothpaste. One empowered well-dressed, middle-aged lady had picked a clearly different brand which was not included in the offer, and was demanding to speak to a manager because her rights were being trampled on. The sign was also very clear. All this to a young girl behind the counter and threats of reports to "Consumer Affairs" - whatever that is, while the rest of the queue had to endure her puerile attitude.

I wouldn't mind but the toothpaste in question cost around 2 euro.

Why is it that some customers turn into neurotic little two-year old brats when dealing with shop staff. The problem with companies offering excellent customer service is that they have created a monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Fol20 wrote: »
    Is this correct or not.
    It is correct, if it wasn't I would be down at my local BMW dealer snapping up cars for €1 after I had a mate put a price tag on them.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Well they wouldn't have to, if their colleagues didn't incorrectly price items

Can often be fairly tough to get every single item when you're marking up hundreds of items. Customers WILL pick out the one that is priced cheaper regardless of the weight of evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Was in a shop recently where there was a buy-one get-one-free on a certain brand of toothpaste. One empowered well-dressed, middle-aged lady had picked a clearly different brand which was not included in the offer, and was demanding to speak to a manager because her rights were being trampled on. The sign was also very clear. All this to a young girl behind the counter and threats of reports to "Consumer Affairs" - whatever that is, while the rest of the queue had to endure her puerile attitude.

I wouldn't mind but the toothpaste in question cost around 2 euro.

Why is it that some customers turn into neurotic little two-year old brats when dealing with shop staff. The problem with companies offering excellent customer service is that they have created a monster.

It's my job to march said customer back to the offer and read the sign to her and if needed draw a diagram to illustrate the offer to her/him. Of course if a mistake has been made I appoligise and immediately fix the problem and make sure the employee responsible is informed. Should be that easy, never is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Can we have a sticky on this.

Actually never mind, I doubt anyone would read it!

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

I was buying something before at it was marked €3 .. scanned €10 at the til.. they said it's actually €10 .. and gave it to me for €3 :-) Heatons :P

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Kenny DNK

I noticed that no one failed to mention the other side of this...

If a customer picks up something that is marked €5 euro, brings it to the till, the staff member scans it, and charges them €10. The customer hands the staff member the money and the transaction is completed. This is where the consumer rights kick in. Once the transaction is complete, the customer has every right to demand a refund on the balance of the displayed price.

Shockin...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Kenny DNK wrote: »
    I noticed that no one failed to mention the other side of this...

If a customer picks up something that is marked €5 euro, brings it to the till, the staff member scans it, and charges them €10. The customer hands the staff member the money and the transaction is completed. This is where the consumer rights kick in. Once the transaction is complete, the customer has every right to demand a refund on the balance of the displayed price.

Shockin...

not overly accurate,
    If the customer is advised of the correct price and then charged this and pays this then they have no come back what so ever as they were informed of the price and paid it accordingly.

If however the customer sees a price of 5e, pays 5e and then the shop tells them its 10e the customer does not have to pay the difference as the contract has been completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

+1 what Cabaal says.
    The customer has the right to demand a refund (everyone has the right to speak) but the retailer is not obliged to provide it, although some do as a good will jesture.

Advertisement