Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the origin of the gaps in some stonecut walls?

Options
  • 17-03-2010 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

From a blow-in... on me walks around the Menlo I've noticed some of the stone walls around houses have deliberate narrow tapering gaps in them. Anyone know the history behind the tradition? Is it peculiar to the region?.. can't rem seeing it anywhere else

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I can't comment on the history per se, but if they are what I think you are referring to, its to allow people to squeeze through, but keep livestock in. I don't think its peculiar to the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Erosion?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Out my way, it's usually vandalism.:p

Seriously, post 2 is correct.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I can't comment on the history per se, but if they are what I think you are referring to, its to allow people to squeeze through, but keep livestock in. I don't think its peculiar to the region.

This and sometimes there is a right of way through a field - rather than putting in a gate that could be left open, these were put in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

presume what your talking about are stiles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Thanks for the replies. The gaps that I've noticed are built into the wall facing the public road, nearly always beside the driveway gate, almost just as a decorative feature (although I suppose handy if cattle are routinely driven down the road). Anyhows, it's a feature in walls around houses that I hadn't noticed elsewhere

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

There was one of these on the roadside stone wall of a graveyard near where I once lived, down in the south of Co Limerick

Advertisement