Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Galician Spanish in Ireland, where to go fly fishing near Limerick City

Options
  • 17-03-2010 6:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43

Hi, i go to live to Limerick City, I love the fly fishing trout in rivers fordable for walking up the waters, but I don´t know the rules, licence, freezone and nothing, maybe someone like help to me. Ufff I think my English is a complet disaster, ha ha.
    I have read that brown trout is free fishing in Eire country. That is once realy?
    Thank you.

trucha.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Hi Swing
    most river fishing in Ireland is by permit. You don't need a licence unless you are fishing for Salmon or Sea Trout but you do need permission from the local club - in my experience this is usually around €30 for a year. I don't live near Limerick so I don't know about the rivers local to you but Peter O'Reilly's book Rivers of Ireland http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rivers-Ireland-Flyfishers-Peter-OReilly/dp/1906122105/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268992156&sr=8-1
    has basic information about most of the trout/salmon rivers in Ireland and would be a very good purchase to get you started.

Okedoke

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 Swing4

Thanks okedoke :) . Well, I no buy an book for fishing, I fish from the 9 years old and only stop this practice when stay in Madrid.
    I fish in Galicia and in this county the regional government distributes leaflets with all the rivers when the fishing its available, the free zones,the bounded zone and closures. This leaflets be take in shops of fishing and are free, so Eire it´s different i think, anywhere I´ll visit an club or shop fishing when stay in this city, thanks and regards.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Hi Swing4
    The cost free information you are looking for is here:
    http://www.fishinginireland.info/trout/index.htm

That's a lovely coloured trout in your photo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 Swing4

coolwings wrote: »
    Hi Swing4
    The cost free information you are looking for is here:
    http://www.fishinginireland.info/trout/index.htm

That's a lovely coloured trout in your photo.

Hi, thanks fo info. I think the web have a good aspect.

Well, I made the photo with my phone cell, if you could have seen there in live the colors are more brightness, more wonderfull, in this zone the trouts don´t be so wonderfull how in the bounded of Lancara, (Lugo, Galicia). They´re only to 28 miles from this place, some more from Eire.
    In Lancara the trouts they´re more yellow still around gold color, and more big. On the summer of 08 I saw one trout eat On the water and the wave circle that it made were that big how my hat, realy ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Ah the Jazz player :D

Lough Derg is good for brown trout, and has some monsters in it. Weights can range from ounces to up to the 20lb mark.

Many of the bigger browns have turned ferox and often turn up at the end of a spoon when people are pike fishing, but many still fall to a fly, especially when the mayfly have hatched. On the Derg there can be huge batches of mayfly from mid April.

Drive out from Limerick to Killaloe, and you will find a fishing heaven in the 40 odd km lake. I generally pike and coarse fish in the area, but the trout fishing is excellent as well.

The River Mulcaire is another river that is now getting good runs of trout and salmon again. The stretch between Annacotty and the river shannon is quite good.

The River Fergus near Ennis is also good for smaller brownies.

The River Maigue (Adare to Bruree stretch) is quite good and the Camogue and Morningstar rives which join with the Maigue are good fun. The Maigue below Adare is tidal and does not fish well.

The Trout Angling Centre in Clonlara may interest you. It is a stocked water broken into sections, with each section only allowing a set type of fishing, so there is a fly fishing area (with some really big fish), a spinning area, and a bait area. You can bring your own tackle or you can hire it all there. Jim Robinson is the name of the man who runs/owns it, and is really helpful. Sometimes a pike sneaks in through one of the water feeds from the canal, usually a small jack that stays and grows too big to sneak back out. Jim would also be able to point you in the right direction as to what you need for various rivers in the area.

http://www.iol.ie/~jimrob/trout.htm

There are plenty of other great little trout spots in and around Limerick, plus you will be within driving range of places like Lough Corrib.

Just be sure to check for what you need to be able to fish the different waters first, as some will require permission from the fishing clubs in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Kess73 wrote: »
    Ah the Jazz player :D
    Many of the bigger browns have turned ferox

????????? surely you mean that many of the larger trout are ferox??

????????? surely you mean that many of the larger trout are ferox??

yeah that would probably have made more sense to say. What you have in Lough Derg is large Ferox trout and also very large brown trout that turn cannibal. I just tend to call the very big browns that go that way Ferox as it is easier than explaining the difference between a ferox trout and a large brownie that has become mostly piscivorous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gerryfisherman

hi anyone out there from limerick city know about the river bunraty at the castle . and how far away it is from limerick city ive read peter reillys book and it says its free fishing would be greatfull for a reply will be heading down to limerick on 4th of august manythanks gerry in newry

hi anyone out there from limerick city know about the river bunraty at the castle . and how far away it is from limerick city ive read peter reillys book and it says its free fishing would be greatfull for a reply will be heading down to limerick on 4th of august manythanks gerry in newry

If you are after brown trout, then that river only holds a very small number of brownies that rarely grow heavier than a half pound. The nearby River Fergus is a much better brownie river with a greater number of fish that that range up to the four pound mark. Very good river for a dry fly.

hi there kess73 thankyou very much for your reply is it free to fish for brown trout on the fergus river and how close would it be to the strand hotel in limerick city manythanks gerry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

I often fish on the bunratty as it is very convenient for me. You won't find monsters in it but I don't really mind. will try the Fergus this year but once again it's hard to know the good spots.

hi there is it worth fishing the bunratty at the tidale stretch at the castle . im the same i dont mind fishing for trout in the 3 quarters to half a pound with a fly rod . is there any sea trout in this river aswell . thanks for your reply boarhunter gerry from newry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

No, you can save your efforts there ;) you can fish in Sixmilebridge and it is still tidal as far as the rail track bridge. Don't ask me for exact locations now :D

Advertisement