Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building near James's Street/Kilmainham - what is it?

Options
  • 17-03-2010 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

Have been living close to this factoy/building for the past 18 months and nobody in the area seems to know what this place is. It's located just beside Mount Brown in behind St James's Hospital on the Old Kilmainham Road - the two silver chimneys make it very noticeable (I've attached a few pictures which might help). There aren't any company names or branding visible on the outside either. I've heard people mention that it's everything from a laundry service for the hospital to an waste incinerator!

If anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it, it's driving me nuts not knowing what this place is

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Have been living close to this factoy/building for the past 18 months and nobody in the area seems to know what this place is. It's located just beside Mount Brown in behind St James's Hospital on the Old Kilmainham Road - the two silver chimneys make it very noticeable (I've attached a few pictures which might help). There aren't any company names or branding visible on the outside either. I've heard people mention that it's everything from a laundry service for the hospital to an waste incinerator!

If anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it, it's driving me nuts not knowing what this place is

Hospital incinerator.

(lived across the road from it for a while)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is it the incinerator for James' Hospital?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭themetallifan

Afaik, I don't think it's a waste incinerator...not for infectious waste anyway. I know that laundry and waterworks are based there...could be a facility providing the hot water for the hospital, or perhaps a backup power source for the hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It's definitely an incinerator - confirmed when speaking to Dublin Fire Brigade when they called. It does have a heat exchange function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭themetallifan

Wow...interesting. Didn't know a license existed for James's to incinerate their own waste.

Surprised there's not more fuss made over it's operation if it is in fact an incinerator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Thats the boiler house for the hospital. Provides the heating, hot water etc.

Paulzx wrote: »
    Thats the boiler house for the hospital. Provides the heating, hot water etc.

I always thought it was a powerstation! :confused:

Advertisement