Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teens on Paddy's day

Options
  • 17-03-2010 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

I have lived in Dublin for a good few years now but today was the first time I went to parade.

I didn't get to see much of it as all the good spots were taken but what I did see looked pretty great and there was a great atosphere around the place.

Me and the boyfriend headed up to St Stephen's Green to sit down and have an icecream.

On arriving there there were gardai checking people's bags, teens passing drink through the fences to each other,some of them getting carted away in the garda van and a good few visibly drunk.

Don't get me wrong I am student and like to go out. But I couldn't help but be shocked at the amount of teens in the middle of the day pissed drunk.

Is this the norm for St Stephen's green on a paddy's day?
    I still get asked for id and I am 23!where are the getting it all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

My only memory of it is seeing the little ***** puking everywhere and fighting with anyone that looking at them.

I basically refuse to celebrate the day as that is all it really represents, i.e. an excuse to get ****ed up for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Thread title promised so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

Try going in around o connell street or temple bar, it is a site for sore eyes. Loads of knackers and scummers drinking blue WKD etc. The only reason I avoided town this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Moved to the Dublin City forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Milky Moo

mikom wrote: »
    Thread title promised so much.

So anything mentioning teens is now sexual,noted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Think its a bit hypocritical of us to be slating teenagers for being pissed on a day thats solely about promoting the fact if Ur Irish you must get drunk off Ur face.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭AvaKinder

In fairness I went drinking in Stephens Green on Paddy's day when I was 17 with a bunch of mates and there were gards around keeping an eye out. There were way too many people, teenagers and those of legal age drinking openly for the guys to do anything more than keep on eye for fights or serious problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

This is unfortunately pretty normal for St. Patrick's Day at this stage.

Left my house today and saw a bunch of what looked like 13 year olds trying to carry two crates of Budweiser down the road.

Surely if you can't lift it properly you should know you shouldn't be drinking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I remember when I was 17, standing in town drinking a naggin mixed with a bit of diet coke

It was really really boring, teenagers suck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Ye ..me to ...drank the best part of a bottle of JD when i was 16 in stevens green ......still cant drink jd to this day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I don't think I can be too negative about it, I did the same thing when I was younger (Stephen's Green and all).
    But now I really look on that sort of thing completely differently, it's fairly disgraceful tbh.

Is this what our country is all about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

I was working at a warehouse rave tonight, saw 14 and 15 year olds getting shot down at the door and then sitting outside getting locked andf fighting, saw some girl gettin a right seeing to outside busaras aswell, must have been about 16 and a good few what id say were about 13year olds getting carted into store st puking and passing out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

DigiGal wrote: »
    I was working at a warehouse rave tonight, saw 14 and 15 year olds getting shot down at the door and then sitting outside getting locked andf fighting, saw some girl gettin a right seeing to outside busaras aswell, must have been about 16 and a good few what id say were about 13year olds getting carted into store st puking and passing out

What self-respecting warehouse rave is over at this time to allow you to come on boards?

And when you say a "right seeing to" do you mean someone was riding her on the street outside busaras?

Im still at it not riding, foreplay lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

As a nation we've an unhealthy obsession with alcohol and drinking to get drunk. Everything in this country revolves around drinking and drunkeness. The teenagers learn it from the adults.

Their parents and extended families are probably in the pub drinking too so what can you do.

I hate the drunkeness on Paddys Day and the agressive atmosphere in town so I stopped going in.

I think it's sad to see teenagers passed out after drinking so much alcohol but we can hardly blame them. Kids experiment, they want to try alcohol. Fair enough, that's natural but getting p1ssed out of your head, collapsing on the street, vomiting, blackouts shouldn't be seen as normal or acceptable.

It requires a change of mindset in the Irish pysche which considerign how our relationship to smoking changed in the last 15-20 years it is possible if the political will to stand up to the vested interests is there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

del88 wrote: »
    Ye ..me to ...drank the best part of a bottle of JD when i was 16 in stevens green ......still cant drink jd to this day.

On the day of my inter cert results i drank the best part of a bottle of Paddy..woke up outside burgerking with a crowd around me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

As a nation we've an unhealthy obsession with alcohol and drinking to get drunk. Everything in this country revolves around drinking and drunkeness. The teenagers learn it from the adults.

Their parents and extended families are probably in the pub drinking too so what can you do.

I hate the drunkeness on Paddys Day and the agressive atmosphere in town so I stopped going in.

I think it's sad to see teenagers passed out after drinking so much alcohol but we can hardly blame them. Kids experiment, they want to try alcohol. Fair enough, that's natural but getting p1ssed out of your head, collapsing on the street, vomiting, blackouts shouldn't be seen as normal or acceptable.

It requires a change of mindset in the Irish pysche which considerign how our relationship to smoking changed in the last 15-20 years it is possible if the political will to stand up to the vested interests is there.

+1. Dunno if it was the weather or what, but there did not seem to be as many drunk people during the parade this year...maybe the recession is foring people to drink a bit less than during the boom years ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Degsy wrote: »
    On the day of my inter cert results i drank the best part of a bottle of Paddy..woke up outside burgerking with a crowd around me.
    Grandad :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Took my culchie GF into town yesterday as she wanted to go in and experience the big smoke paddys day parade, first sight we see is a guy sitting in a door, puking green stuff all over himself, he'd probably had a shamrock shake and about 10 cans :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Them Shamrock shakes will be the death of us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 CiaRa_TrueBlue

Its not just teenagers pissed on paddy's day in town, its adults too.
    I think teenagers are just doing what everyone else is doing on paddy's day .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Pesky teenagers with their drinking and bold and italic lettering!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CiaRa_TrueBlue

I didn't realise there was a problem with having bold italic writting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

As long as celebrating = getting paralytic, it'll happen.

Celebrating, in my eyes, = having fun. Nothing possible when paralytic. I'm not alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

DigiGal wrote: »

That was probably the rave at Good Bits. Place had a reputation for letting anyone in with any form of ID up until they got new security staff about a week ago so now the 15-17 scumbags who used to try and get it aren't so there just pissing about starting fights outside.

Amazing considering it's beside one of the biggest inner-city stations in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

oh build a bridge and get over it ffs. Shocking, yeah really shocking :rolleyes:

RMD wrote: »
    That was probably the rave at Good Bits. Place had a reputation for letting anyone in with any form of ID up until they got new security staff about a week ago so now the 15-17 scumbags who used to try and get it aren't so there just pissing about starting fights outside.

Amazing considering it's beside one of the biggest inner-city stations in Dublin.
    Yeah i've been doing some work at The Good Bits lately, well for the night Punch, we had thse 2 security fellas who were letting in a few kids, we had a bit of trouble one night so we brought in a firm, amount of lads going mad cause they werent let in but honestly the state of them.
    Should see the lads there now, one of them is about the size of the door and grunts when you say hello lol. Mainly trying to get away from the awful rep the old venue had there, Radio City, was a well dodgy place. We are trying to have a strict no scum, no underagers policy. Nothing worse when you go to a venue and its full of kids. I heard ALT had a bit of trouble with the same carry on on Paddy's night aswell.
    But it wasnt only teenageers, adults too.

Tak notice that the worst areas seem to develop around the local station. The area round the Corner from the good bits i.e Talbot st and the flats surrounding, up to DIT near the 5 lamps is bad, and the worst area of crumlin is outside crumlin Garda Station, definitely

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭RoRoCullen

I didn't realise there was a problem with having bold italic writting

OH Ciara. My bff. Bold highlights to make a point. Italic also. So your comment will come out as angry! But you didnt know so.. I love you anyhow darling lol

Oh and this post is hilarious. We're 17 and 18. We didnt get locked and cause trouble on Paddy's day. Not every teenager does, no need to discriminate against young people because some of them are egiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

RoRoCullen wrote: »
    OH Ciara. My bff. Bold highlights to make a point. Italic also. So your comment will come out as angry! But you didnt know so.. I love you anyhow darling lol

Oh and this post is hilarious. We're 17 and 18. We didnt get locked and cause trouble on Paddy's day. Not every teenager does, no need to discriminate against young people because some of them are egiots.

When you tell me why you resurrected a two month old thread, I might consider re-opening it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement