Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

copy dvds to hard drive

• 17-03-2010 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

how do i copy legally bought dvds to my hard drive some copy ok but others give a copywright message how do i overcome this

Comments

I use anydvd and rip to .iso

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

ryanner wrote: »
    how do i copy legally bought dvds to my hard drive some copy ok but others give a copywright message how do i overcome this

You shouldnt be copying them, the warning is there for a reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭bl8ckh8art

http://www.imtoo.com/dvd-ripper.html

The fella just wants to rip dvd's onto his HD. Stop being judgmental.

bl8ckh8art wrote: »
    http://www.imtoo.com/dvd-ripper.html

The fella just wants to rip dvd's onto his HD. Stop being judgmental.

No, he knows how to rip them, he wants to know how to overcome the copywrighted ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭bl8ckh8art

And how is it you know for a fact that ImTOO DVD ripper has problems ripping dvd's with copyright issues? DO NOT turn this into a trolling war, over unnecessary endless posts. You had your say and I had mine providing some help to the guy. If it doesn't work for him, then so be it, but at least I didn't troll.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Are you not legally entitled to make a backup of material you paid for and legitimately own in case the original gets damaged?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Are you not legally entitled to make a backup of material you paid for and legitimately own in case the original gets damaged?

-

As far as I am aware the technically illegal part is the breaking of the copy protection on the DVDs in order to make the backup, not the making of a backup per say.

I believe in the US it is technically illegal to even watch a copy protected DVD on a Linux machine for exactly this reason :pac:.

The whole area of Digital rights management one big pathetic worldwide legal mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

david7536 wrote: »
    I use anydvd and rip to .iso

Smartripper is also good.

Once you have got the data onto your hard drive in the form of an iso file, use autoGK (auto Godian knot) to convert to avi (divx or xvid) to save space, it's very easy to use.

Tallon wrote: »
    No, he knows how to rip them, he wants to know how to overcome the copywrighted ones

Overcoming the copyright for the purpose of back-up is part of the ripping process.

Smartripper is also good.

Once you have got the data onto your hard drive in the form of an iso file, use autoGK (auto Godian knot) to convert to avi (divx or xvid) to save space, it's very easy to use.

With hdd space so cheap i think the conversion to .avi is obsolete. Wasted cpu cycles to give a badly degraded encode. If you have to encode to save space, x264 is the way to go.

• Advertisement

-

Yes, but not enforced copywrited ones. As I said, the warning is there for a reason, there is ways around it, but that would technically be breaking the law and technically not supposed to be discussed on here

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

With hdd space so cheap i think the conversion to .avi is obsolete. Wasted cpu cycles to give a badly degraded encode. If you have to encode to save space, x264 is the way to go.

You'd be surprised at how easy it is to fill up a few 1TB hard-drives.......
    .avi isn't obsolete by any means- its perfect for any smaller screens (under 40") and for the larger screens- .mkv is a good port of call. In addition- these formats are the bread and butter of most media centres and players

smccarrick wrote: »
    You'd be surprised at how easy it is to fill up a few 1TB hard-drives.......
    .avi isn't obsolete by any means- its perfect for any smaller screens (under 40") and for the larger screens- .mkv is a good port of call. In addition- these formats are the bread and butter of most media centres and players

Tell me about it, i have 4.5tb with x264 encodes on jbod backups, starting to get expensive! Avi is optimal for low resolution due to its poor quality retention to compression ratio. No way does avi look good from a dvd source, or any source, on a 40" 1080p tv. To make it look half decent on a screen that size you need to make it 70%+ the original size. x264 will retain the same detail and resolution at ~30% of the source size. i would say .avi is adequate for 32" 720p displays but is still bettered by x264 becasue of the above reasons.
    Avi has been the bread and butter for many years for standalone media players but even the €60 models support .264 now so the only reason avi is not obsolete is lack of knowledge by the average punters. i not sure what you mean by avi being standard on "media centres"? Even microsoft have added native support for x264 in win 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Tell me about it, i have 4.5tb with x264 encodes on jbod backups, starting to get expensive! Avi is optimal for low resolution due to its poor quality retention to compression ratio. No way does avi look good from a dvd source, or any source, on a 40" 1080p tv. To make it look half decent on a screen that size you need to make it 70%+ the original size. x264 will retain the same detail and resolution at ~30% of the source size. i would say .avi is adequate for 32" 720p displays but is still bettered by x264 becasue of the above reasons.
    Avi has been the bread and butter for many years for standalone media players but even the €60 models support .264 now so the only reason avi is not obsolete is lack of knowledge by the average punters.

While I agree with your comments regarding quality, It has to be remembered that mkv's are normally way, way larger in size and with a lot of ISP's getting finicky about CAP's & the storage needed to hold all those files avi is still a good option for the average Joe?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

While I agree with your comments regarding quality, It has to be remembered that mkv's are normally way, way larger in size and with a lot of ISP's getting finicky about CAP's & the storage needed to hold all those files avi is still a good option for the average Joe?

-

Thats true. Ya mks's are normally much larger than the .avi but i guess my point is for the avi to have the same detail and resolution retention from say a blu-ray source it would need to be over double the size of the .mkv. Thats why i lol when i see some people archive their blu-rays down to a ~2Gb avi and are totally oblivios the the fact they have lost 90% of the detail.

Advertisement