Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speed loss if wireless

Options
  • 17-03-2010 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Happy Paddys folks

got eircom adsl2 24mb, never got more than 7,6mb speed if wireless, connected to my zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3 via LAN, wifi disabled - speed about 12 mb. Tried different wifi channels, same 7,6mb. What is the problem ? Any ideas wellcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Have you tried the speed test while being right next to the router?

A wi-fi signal is bound to be attenuated as it bounces off walls, tellys, floors etc.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

kenon wrote: »
    Have you tried the speed test while being right next to the router?

A wi-fi signal is bound to be attenuated as it bounces off walls, tellys, floors etc.

sure i tried standing next to the rooter, no difference, same as changing the channels 1 to 14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Most laptop producers use the cheapest wifi cards they can get and the antenna is two tiny wires up the back of the screen. Some of these can have terrible performance. Try some other laptop.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Most laptop producers use the cheapest wifi cards they can get and the antenna is two tiny wires up the back of the screen. Some of these can have terrible performance. Try some other laptop.

my is macbook pro, not sure which one i should try :o

rai555 wrote: »
    my is macbook pro, not sure which one i should try :o

Nothing special about any of the parts in a mac either, generic pc parts. They like You to think they cherry pick them, but no, they use ordinary parts

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Nothing special about any of the parts in a mac either, generic pc parts. They like You to think they cherry pick them, but no, they use ordinary parts

Sarcrilege, heresy:) I am amazed you have not been deluged with protests from Mac fans.

dub45 wrote: »
    Sarcrilege, heresy:) I am amazed you have not been deluged with protests from Mac fans.

I'm awaiting it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭nin2010

What wireless protocol are you using?

You should use 802.11G only as that has transfer speeds up to 54mb. If you leave it on 802.11B/802.11G in the router settings then you will suffer speed loss.

The maximum speed you can transfer on 802.11B is 11mb/s but of course you are competing over the medium(the 2.4Ghz range) with all other wireless signals including any other wireless network devices and household devices which is probably why you are getting maximum 7mb/s compared to 12 mb/s when you have a wired connection.

Switching channels until you find optimum speed after your make the change is important too as you want to use a channel your neighbours aren't using preferably.

spot on nin2010, never thought about 802.11g only, will take a try

Advertisement