Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coloured Render

• 17-03-2010 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

We're currently in the process of trying to get things organised for an extension build that will hopefully start in the next 12 weeks or so.

We are getting mixed messages about coloured render.

Our architect thinks it is brilliant and should provide us with many, many years of maintenance free walls (we are going to render the new extension and skim coat the existing part of the house).

However, a builder whom we met with, with a view to building the extension, was far more negative about the coloured render, suggesting that there can be algal or similar type green growths on north facing aspects and that the colour will fade over time.

Has anyone had coloured render for a number of years and if so, what are your observations?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭enol

I'm living in a house that got the 'lifetime finish' coloured render when it was being built 3 years ago. About 2 years ago, green streaks appeared on the north facing gable and have got worse over time. Dissapointing considering it was sold to us on the basis that it was maintenance free.
    The next dry spell we have will be spent sealing & painting the 'lifetime finish' render, at a cost of about €300 for materials alone.
    I have seen good jobs done of the coloured render, but ours sure as fc@k isn't one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think a lot depends on the surface you are applying the render to.
    I have the coloured stuff since 05 and it has not faded or had any algal growth at all in that time.
    I live near trees and have a lot of shade on the N side.
    However, the construction of the house is from the outside in:
    Colour render>fibreglass mesh/basecoat>Bluclad board>20mm Batten>10mm masonite
    This means the external wall never holds water and dries quickly because of the air gap behind it.
    If you are plastering a block wall that is damp more often then the growth of algae could be a problem.
    BTW the plaster used was STO Silco-K with the basecoat and fibreglass mesh.

regarding the fading, I did three walls originally and ran out of materials, when I got more plaster my plasterer was busy.. for three years! I finally got the last gable finished late last year and it is exactly the same colour as the other walls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

First of all, you can't group all coloured renders together. Just like you can't group all paints together.

Cheap quaility may very well stain. Enol, what was the product you used.

I've used two in the past, Sto and Monocouche, haven't had a problem with either so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

K-Rend renders commonly have an algacide mixed in, but you do have to specify it.

Advertisement