Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor CCTV. Wifi possible? or just recording device?

Options
  • 17-03-2010 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am looking to get an outdoor CCTV system for a property far from home. Prepared to install it myself. Possible 2-6 cameras.

I would like some advice, on the costs involved with each and the positives, negatives and complications:
    a)Wifi and record on a PC away from the property, or similar solution.
    b)Some kind of hard drive the cameras are connected onto at the location.

The problem:
    with a)Broadband would have to be installed on site costing 20 euro+ per month.
    with b) Hard drive would cost allot innately, allot of wiring needed and the hard drive would need to be emptied how often?

So basically I want to know the best option and the equipment needed for each and where it can be sourced.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

I can send you by PM a name of a company that does special deals for this month,with very good technical performance.I have no interest into company,but I'm buying a similar system for a friend of mine.

The system comes with a DVR with SATA hard drive ,4-8 camera,all wired.DVR is connected to internet and allows you to remotely connect from home and also over mobile phone.Event alerts,also possible.

Re the two Qs,
    -you'll need a minimum of 1M upload speed if you want to be able to watch full screen or to distinguish something on the screen.
    -the hard drive capacity of 500Gb can be set to overwrite every so often and will keep the system running in the event of the disk space running low.The drive can be upgraded to max 2Tb as per today spec.

Rgds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,

I can send you by PM a name of a company that does special deals for this month,with very good technical performance.I have no interest into company,but I'm buying a similar system for a friend of mine.

The system comes with a DVR with SATA hard drive ,4-8 camera,all wired.DVR is connected to internet and allows you to remotely connect from home and also over mobile phone.Event alerts,also possible.

Re the two Qs,
    -you'll need a minimum of 1M upload speed if you want to be able to watch full screen or to distinguish something on the screen.
    -the hard drive capacity of 500Gb can be set to overwrite every so often and will keep the system running in the event of the disk space running low.The drive can be upgraded to max 2Tb as per today spec.

Rgds.

Cool thanks.

Re thinking this out again I think the wifi route is going to be quiet costly as I don't need wifi for anything else so a Hard drive might be better and cheaper, yes no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

WiFi - you'll need a complex setup and wireless is a "black art",sometimes work,other times not ! Also,you'll need wires for power supply or some form of accumulators with Solar Panels... Wires,are better !

Hard drive,you mean the DVR (Digital Video Recorder) is a kind-of-PC that holds the storage (hard disk) and all the inputs for cameras and the software & hardware logical unit,think of it like a time lapse VCR but at a higher level ! !

I have to scan their offer and then you'll see the difference in price and specs.

In meantime,how many cameras you'll need,inside / outside,black&white /color,night vision standard or enhanced,night vision coverage area/length,distance between central unit the DVR and all the cameras ...

Rgds...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

How far is the site from your house. If it's only a few miles then there's other options out there apart from broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Jnealon wrote: »
    How far is the site from your house. If it's only a few miles then there's other options out there apart from broadband

10 miles+

• Advertisement
Advertisement