Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aromatic Hydrocarbon ?? :S:S

Options
  • 17-03-2010 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

im studing leaving cert chemistry.:( At the moment we studying feul and heats of reaction. Im able to understand most of it so far but i havent a clue about aromatic hydrocarbon...aliphatic compounds.....benzene ring...:confused:
    can any one give me a simplified account of it please:), id be really grateful!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'm using this website at the moment. I find it good. http://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicprops/arenes/background.html

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

Thanks for making me happy that I didn't pick chemisty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

im studing leaving cert chemistry.:( At the moment we studying feul and heats of reaction. Im able to understand most of it so far but i havent a clue about aromatic hydrocarbon...aliphatic compounds.....benzene ring...:confused:
    A hydrocarbon is a compound with the elemens carbon and hydrogen only. Then a aliphatic compound is one which DOES NOT have a benzene ring. An aromatic hydrocarbon does have a benzene ring. Oh, a benzene ring is a diamond like hydocarbon (C6H6). This is probably better explained in your book aye?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

use youtube there is many excellent video that explains many chem chapters and I myself have used and seen them and i now understand topics better now.always revise wise/rapid revision and chem live are good books

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

It's usually better explained in your book. As said, a hydrocarbon is a compound consisting of hydrogen and carbon. It burns to give carbon and water.

An aromatic compound has the benzene ring. Basically, the compound is shaped like a diamond. They are very combustible (have a high octane number). The reason they are called aromatic compounds is because mostly the smell rather nice.

An aliphatic compound is kinda the opposite of an aromatic compound really! They are straight chained hydrocarbons.

I hope the clears the basics up, and more questions feel free to ask...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 XxXSarahXxX

ok, thanks:D
    am then with the benzene ring.... theres stuff n d book about d lenghts of bonds.... and that the valence electron arent just localised to the double bonds but are belongind to the hole molecule????????:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:...
    any way you can explain this in simplier terms or do i js have to go and learn it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

ok, thanks:D
    am then with the benzene ring.... theres stuff n d book about d lenghts of bonds.... and that the valence electron arent just localised to the double bonds but are belongind to the hole molecule????????:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:...
    any way you can explain this in simplier terms or do i js have to go and learn it

Ask you teacher to explain it so that you understand it and then learn it

Advertisement