Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beast of a Smartphone

• 17-03-2010 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

I don't ask for much so see if you can recommend something... I won't be able to afford it for a while so fel free to suggest any upcoming phones

Camera:
    Definitely needs a flash, quality must be reasonable (above 2 MP)

GPS: Would be nice but A-GPS is fine; i'd consider a phone with no form of GPS

Bluetooth: Yes, for file transfers and tethering with laptop, connecting to handsfree and file transfers with other phones

Form factor: Candybar/Blackberry or E63 shape/Slider like an n97

Input: Would prefer tactile or else tactile+touch(like n97). Full QWERTY would be nice. No cheap touch screens without multitouch or screens that need a stylus

3G Internet: very important must be at fast (HSDPA 7.2 and HSUPA if available) and allow tethering (via bluetooth or cable)

WLAN: also very important, must support wpa

Internet should be as close to PC experience as possible (css, javascript support etc...) Flash lite?

Youtube Support desired

Video: must be able to handle xvid/divx *V IMPORTANT* not too fussed about video recording formats

MP3 Player: very important

FM radio: would be nice

Storage: microSD/microSDHC cards preferably 8GB+

Email Client: would like a client that supports POP3 and IMAP or else IMAP support and a suitable gmail app

Social Networking: Facebook (either in browser [not m.facebook.com] or standalone app). Facebook chat important but there's always ebuddy; MSN (ebuddy is an option)

VOIP: Don't use it but i might if I had the option

Operator: i'm with vodafone RTG at the moment but would consider changig for the right phone (must stay prepaid)

Other:

should store sent messages (on phone memory or microsd) and inbox (pref on SIM). no iphone style conversation view

whats the story with vodafone prepay data bundles? not the €1/50mb/day one

isn't there one where its like €6/7 a month unlimited use where you have to opt in each month? i shouldn't need it that often as i have wifi at home and in college but i do want it for out and about and midband for my laptop when i'm not at my own house

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Nokia N900 strikes me as being perfect across the board.

Camera: Definitely needs a flash, quality must be reasonable (above 2 MP) - very good 5mp

GPS: Would be nice but A-GPS is fine; i'd consider a phone with no form of GPS - tick

Bluetooth: Yes, for file transfers and tethering with laptop, connecting to handsfree and file transfers with other phones - tick

Form factor: Candybar/Blackberry or E63 shape/Slider like an n97 - slider

Input: Would prefer tactile or else tactile+touch(like n97). Full QWERTY would be nice. No cheap touch screens without multitouch or screens that need a stylus - no multitouch - but an excellent screen all the same

3G Internet: very important must be at fast (HSDPA 7.2 and HSUPA if available) and allow tethering (via bluetooth or cable) - tick

WLAN: also very important, must support wpa - tick

Internet: should be as close to PC experience as possible (css, javascript support etc...) Flash lite? - fully supported in brower

Youtube Support desired - fully supported in brower

Video: must be able to handle xvid/divx *V IMPORTANT* not too fussed about video recording formats - tick

MP3 Player: very important - tick

FM radio: would be nice - tick

Storage: microSD/microSDHC cards preferably 8GB+ - tick - 32gb

Email Client: would like a client that supports POP3 and IMAP or else IMAP support and a suitable gmail app - tick

Social Networking: Facebook (either in browser [not m.facebook.com] or standalone app). Facebook chat important but there's always ebuddy; MSN (ebuddy is an option) - fully supported in brower and can be integrated into phonebook

VOIP: Don't use it but i might if I had the option - fully integrated into phonebook

Operator: i'm with vodafone RTG at the moment but would consider changig for the right phone (must stay prepaid)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

HTC desire or HTC hd2.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭(insert name)

Desire doesnt support xvid files afaik

HD2 spec sheet has the following
    Video supported formats:
    .wmv, .asf, .mp4, .3gp, .3g2, .m4v, .avi

do you know what codecs are included for .avi?

Realistically converting is not an option as i have hundreds of films and tv programmes in mostly xvid and i want it to work out of the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Desire doesnt support xvid files afaik

HD2 spec sheet has the following

do you know what codecs are included for .avi?

Realistically converting is not an option as i have hundreds of films and tv programmes in mostly xvid and i want it to work out of the box.

I use a program called 'Nemo' for android & there is also 'YXflash' & 'video player' available from the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

There is a package for the N900 called Extra Codecs, that provides, well, I am sure you can tell. Divx support is included.

While I haven't personally used divx, I have seen somebody else running a divx video from an N900 through a projector and it looked great.

+1 for N900 - seems to tick all your boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭(insert name)

is it possible to buy one PAYG in irelasnd or should i be looking at sim free online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

is it possible to buy one PAYG in irelasnd or should i be looking at sim free online?

It's probably better to start at the websites of the various operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

the n900 is available on O2 prepay and is sim free (tested yesterday for a friend of mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Samsung Wave S8500.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_s8500_wave-3146.php

Due to go on sale in April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    the n900 is available on O2 prepay and is sim free (tested yesterday for a friend of mine.

Yes, I can also confirm the N900 is sim-free/unlocked from O2 on Speakeasy (prepay). Bought it last week and it definitely ticks all the boxes :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement