Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antique Gun dealer

Options
  • 17-03-2010 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Is there one in Ireland that anyone knows. Would love to get a gun of mine valued properly. If not ill wait till the antique's road show come's to town :D:D...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

elius wrote: »
    Is there one in Ireland that anyone knows. Would love to get a gun of mine valued properly. If not ill wait till the antique's road show come's to town :D:D...

By antique how old do you mean?

I was in Jim Halpins Shooting shop in Listowel Co. Kerry at the weekend and he had quite a few old guns.

And by old guns i mean ones used in the World wars, he had a good few different types of bolt action rifles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

patsat wrote: »
    By antique how old do you mean?

I was in Jim Halpins Shooting shop in Listowel Co. Kerry at the weekend and he had quite a few old guns.

And by old guns i mean ones used in the World wars, he had a good few different types of bolt action rifles.

Kerry would be quite a spin. 100 yrs old or so. from 1904 i reckon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭TMC121

maybe these guys can help
    Irish Arms Boyd Rankin web;www.irisharms.ie or John Kavanagh at www.fingalsports.com.

Might be able to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

One hundred years is not old for a gun that has had some care. The brother has an old Kavanagh damascus barrel hammer gun that is more than that. It was our great grandfathers and he’s reluctant to dump it for sentimental reasons.
    Nor does age make it make a gun valuable. What counts is condition, maker and scarcity value. Unless it was owned by a rajah or has a proven heritage do not expect too much.
    Post some photos and details here and I bet you would get a reasonably good estimate.
    Rs,
    P.

One hundred years is not old for a gun that has had some care. The brother has an old Kavanagh damascus barrel hammer gun that is more than that. It was our great grandfathers and he’s reluctant to dump it for sentimental reasons.
    Nor does age make it make a gun valuable. What counts is condition, maker and scarcity value. Unless it was owned by a rajah or has a proven heritage do not expect too much.
    Post some photos and details here and I bet you would get a reasonably good estimate.
    Rs,
    P.

I never said it was see here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055583558

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

The brother has an old Kavanagh damascus barrel hammer gun that is more than that. It was our great grandfathers and he’s reluctant to dump it for sentimental reasons.

Seen one of these few years back. Kavanagh and Son BP and nipple, side by side. Still had wooden ram rod. Lovely gun for its age. Damascus barrel was made from old horse shoes back then :eek: It had no numbers on it, but was still licenced here. Woman who owned it was looking €350 for it! Nipples were flattened on it.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

It is some some leap to expect us to connect this topic with the one above from last year. But you did say
    100 yrs old or so. from 1904 i reckon!
    :confused:
    It is impossible to give any idea without detailed photographs.
    BV under a crown is the View mark of Birmingham Proof house, in use since 1904.
    NP under a crown is the definitive proof mark for Nitro
    The .410 bore became popular about 1900 which also supports the date of post 1904 suggested by the view and proof marks. Most of the early .410s were chambered for a 2 inch cartridge, whereas many of the .410s on sale today are chambered for a 3” one. So, check and be careful. I would not use high-power cartridges in that gun.:eek:
    With all the other stamps, I’m surprised that there is not a maker’s mark somewhere – often it is along the top rib.
    My guess is that it could be a dealer’s gun, with barrels, locks, etc., bought-in and assembled and finished in-house. Both Birmingham and Liege were usual sources for the parts. Greener claimed that some Belgian makers used the Birmingham Proof House as a means of adding “cachet” and value to their guns. Damascus was going out of fashion by the late 1800’s so use of a Damascus barrel in post 1904 is a hint to it being a trade gun.
    Damascus should be browned, not blued and in my view you probably have done it no favours by giving it a cold-rust blue treatment.
    Chem -

Sometimes damascus was made from the nails of horseshoes, hammered into hoops to become tablets called “pilons” in French. Collecting these nails, cast from horseshoes, was a source of income for peasant kids. More usually, bars of steel carbide and bars of iron were stacked and hammered before being twisted around a mandril to make a barrel. The order and method of stacking is what gave the Damascus barrel its particular pattern.
    Her price for the Kavanagh at €350 was too dear, but is probably what the .410 is worth;)
    Rs
    P.

It is some some leap to expect us to connect this topic with the one above from last year. But you did say :confused:
    It is impossible to give any idea without detailed photographs.
    BV under a crown is the View mark of Birmingham Proof house, in use since 1904.
    NP under a crown is the definitive proof mark for Nitro
    The .410 bore became popular about 1900 which also supports the date of post 1904 suggested by the view and proof marks. Most of the early .410s were chambered for a 2 inch cartridge, whereas many of the .410s on sale today are chambered for a 3” one. So, check and be careful. I would not use high-power cartridges in that gun.:eek:
    With all the other stamps, I’m surprised that there is not a maker’s mark somewhere – often it is along the top rib.
    My guess is that it could be a dealer’s gun, with barrels, locks, etc., bought-in and assembled and finished in-house. Both Birmingham and Liege were usual sources for the parts. Greener claimed that some Belgian makers used the Birmingham Proof House as a means of adding “cachet” and value to their guns. Damascus was going out of fashion by the late 1800’s so use of a Damascus barrel in post 1904 is a hint to it being a trade gun.
    Damascus should be browned, not blued and in my view you probably have done it no favours by giving it a cold-rust blue treatment.
    Chem -

Sometimes damascus was made from the nails of horseshoes, hammered into hoops to become tablets called “pilons” in French. Collecting these nails, cast from horseshoes, was a source of income for peasant kids. More usually, bars of steel carbide and bars of iron were stacked and hammered before being twisted around a mandril to make a barrel. The order and method of stacking is what gave the Damascus barrel its particular pattern.
    Her price for the Kavanagh at €350 was too dear, but is probably what the .410 is worth;)
    Rs
    P.

Much appreciated lad, The grandad was left the gun buy some local lady maybe 60yrs ago. He was also living in the greater birmingham area to. I have no idea of make theres no writings on it at all... My local dealer said €600 there abouts. Not really interested in selling just need a proper value for insurance reasons..
    Regards
    T

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

For insurance purposes a €1000.00. :D

A clear photo of the barrel flats and any marks on the barrel area just ahead of the flats.

Are there any marks on the watertable?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭murphy125

Elius that looks quite like my webley and scott except my one has a prince of wales pistol grip

also would the make of it not be on your license for it?

• Advertisement

murphy125 wrote: »
    Elius that looks quite like my webley and scott except my one has a prince of wales pistol grip

also would the make of it not be on your license for it?

No imported from the uk when left to me on a will. No make was on the previous gun licence either. i myself was thinking a webley and scott....

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

Guys

would I need a licence for pin revolver?
    its around 1830-1860 I reckon. and where would be the best place to get valuation on it?

thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

ani_mal wrote: »
    Guys

its around 1830-1860 I reckon. and where would be the best place to get valuation on it?

thx

what make is it ..the rare german and french ones make good money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

ani_mal wrote: »
    Guys

thx

Post a pic and we will give you a valuation.

chem wrote: »
    Post a pic and we will give you a valuation.

Im not sure about posting any pictures here on boards.ie :)
    I would like to get answer to my question, which was-> do I need a licence as a collector to have this thing in my possession.

the item itself, is a bit rusty but has carved handle and everything else on its place. I reckon it is french cos has has letters EGL (I think) surrounded by oval, with a crown. I can post photos by PM.

thx guys

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

The proof mark is Leige, Belgium.

Simple answer to a simple question lad. If one could put a bullet it in it, pull the trigger and bang the bullet flys out you need a licence regardless of weather its 1000yrs old. If it been decomissioned no you dont.

Simple answer to a simple question lad. If one could put a bullet it in it, pull the trigger and bang the bullet flys out you need a licence regardless of weather its 1000yrs old. If it been decomissioned no you dont.

that's true no discussion about it...
    but you need special bullets for it and they are not in production anymore for years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 poacher

can anyone tell me how to go about bringing antique guns into the country.I lived in usa for 10 years where I have 2 antique flintlocks,one is a fowler from 1760 london made and the other is a hand gun from 1776 made in paris. neither is particulerly valuable, just wall hangers
    thanks

Advertisement