Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish caught by worm

Options
  • 17-03-2010 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

I have been told by some fishing people that you shouldn't throw back fish that are caught by worm but when I ask more questions they don't know the reason. Does this story hold any credence?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Complete cobblers !
    Some people think you shouldn't return anything.

The thing about worm fishing is to hook your fish in the mouth from where they can be unhooked safely. A hook disgorger will unhook fish that have taken the hooks deep, but that is not a good way to fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I think they may mean maggots. I remember reading this somewhere that some wild fish cant digest the maggot and it can burrow into the flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Thanks for the answers so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Probably an urban legend or outright lie to justify keeping fish. The only issue with bait fishing that is comparable is deep hooking fish (in the stomach or back of the throat), which usually happens with inexperienced anglers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

I think they may mean maggots. I remember reading this somewhere that some wild fish cant digest the maggot and it can burrow into the flesh.

That's one of the daftest things I've ever heard :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Of course fish can digest maggots. maggots are a natural bait, fish eat fly larva all the time, thats why maggots are such a great bait. all fish from gudgeon to carp can digest them.

same goes for worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I heard an old trick...some of ye may have too.

Hang a dead rabbit over a sea trout pool in the summer. Warm weather and the maggots hatch, and as they move they fall into the water. Sea trout go bananas for them and the fishing is great.

An old man told me that...never tried it i must say :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

nice one seafields, most disgusting post of the year so far! just don't tie it upwind of where u stand! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

SeaFields wrote: »

Hang a dead rabbit over a sea trout pool in the summer. Warm weather and the maggots hatch, and as they move they fall into the water. Sea trout go bananas for them and the fishing is great.

Heard that one 2 growing up from my uncle who was a lifelong fisherman. Also see it in use in Austria on a tiny alpine stream about a yard wide. There were 4 or five trout under it of 1.5lb and up;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I shouldnt have said a thing...

there will be dodgy looking fellas in waders and waistcoats picking up road kill all over Ireland :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

heard of that before alright! never did it though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Not for me!
    My fishing bag is quite smelly enough without putting roadkill in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Never heard it used for sea trout before, but it is how monks used to feed carp in their stew ponds many centurys ago. Not so much falling from moving though as falling to find some ground to bury themselves in so that they can pupate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

sea trout love maggots. But fishing for sea trout with maggots these days is only for the brainless.

Advertisement