Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What good things have happened to you sinceyou stopped drinking?

• 17-03-2010 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭

I have the freedom from Debt, I got my family back, I have a job, and the most important thing is.., when I wake up in the morning I can remember everything that happened yesterday

I suppose you could call it freedom.

How has your life improved?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Not a major thing but Iv lost about half a stone in a month since iv stopped drinking . Was only gonna give up for a month but tempted to stay off it longer now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Jay Walker

Elenxor wrote: »
    I have the freedom from Debt, I got my family back, I have a job, and the most important thing is.., when I wake up in the morning I can remember everything that happened yesterday

I suppose you could call it freedom.

How has your life improved?

I havent had a drink now in well over a month. I wouldnt drink often. A weekend drinker. But when I do drink, I drink alot. I certainly dont miss getting up in the morning wondering what the hell I got up to the night before or how I got home.

I certainly do feel that I have more valuable time with my family.

I am contemplating giving it up for good.

I just drove through my town around half an hour ago. On the way through I saw a guy getting sick on the footpath of the main street and on the way back saw a guy pissing up against a building in clear public view. Both were blind drunk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

It gave my social life a bit of a boost, by allowing me to drive a bit further out of the city, when I wouldnt have been able to go by public transport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I look about 5 years younger.
    I've lost weight.
    No hangovers mean I have so much more free time to do things.
    I have about 800 euro extra per month that I didn't have before.
    My overall quality of life has improved ten fold.
    I've gained lots of respect from family and friends.
    I'm very happy with life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I've stopped pulling the birbs, cause I'm not at the pub so much.

I'm gunna get back on the birds piss so I can get back on the birds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Keep your sarcastic crap to yourself please

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭force majeure

Lets see now, well I have a house a car a van a nice little enterprise a dog satellite tv a few grand in the credit union and off course that god awful yellow tint in my eyes has started to go away.[a lot off people buggered the life out off me about that].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mattblacktiger

What good things have happened to you since you stopped drinking?

got me self esteem back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

I posted a few post's on these threads a few months ago as regards not drinking. I'm 25 & I'm nearly 4 months off it :) I'm just wondering how everyone else is doing? I'm living a new life now. I wake up everyday loving life. Life is absolutaly brilliant. I was never a big drinker but I'm just loving waking up on a Sunday morning with a fresh head. The majority of mates respect my decision; but I don't care what the monority thinks. All I'm missing now is a nice girl.. Anyone any ideas where should I look :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 josh3

yeah i wil be off it three months next week....feel fantastic,fit as a fiddle was always fit enough considering my binges...used to hit gym and train four nights in between binges...but now i am naturally at my weight....peak fittness....have way more money..peace of mind/body....can do what i want without drink/drugs controlling me...family all in great form with me now,odd questions about do i miss it,stuff like that but all in all very happy at present...very odd bad day i have now prob two real tough ones in three months but last two weeks have been best yet since treatment....best of luck everyone..wingman you are 25 bright future a head and you will meet someone nice,trust me...i am lucky am married two kids...27 now so about time i did the right things.....

• Advertisement

I'm 2 weeks off it tomorrow and I'm feeling fantastic! Feeling a lot more confident and like mattblacktiger my self esteem has also risen greatly. I do feel kinda bad about all the years I wasted with alcohol but I'm glad I've stopped now because the only way I can envisage being unhappy with life is if I continued to drink.

Oh and I've bought a whole new wardrobe with money I've saved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Elenxor

you sound like one of the winners to me. (I heard only 3 in 10 make it back)

I don't know if it's true..if it is, that makes us kinda special don't you think?:)

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    I'm 2 weeks off it tomorrow and I'm feeling fantastic! Feeling a lot more confident and like mattblacktiger my self esteem has also risen greatly. I do feel kinda bad about all the years I wasted with alcohol but I'm glad I've stopped now because the only way I can envisage being unhappy with life is if I continued to drink.

Money wasn't a consideration at all for me when I decided I was giving up. But yes it's astonishing the money you save! Usually when it comes to the end of the month I'm broke. But I wasn't the last few months; an added bonus I guess :)

Elenxor wrote: »
    you sound like one of the winners to me. (I heard only 3 in 10 make it back)

I don't know if it's true..if it is, that makes us kinda special don't you think?:)

I hope so, really feel great in the knowledge that I won't ever be drinking again. It's just not for me :)
    Money wasn't a consideration at all for me when I decided I was giving up. But yes it's astonishing the money you save! Usually when it comes to the end of the month I'm broke. But I wasn't the last few months; an added bonus I guess :)

Oh money was the least of the reasons I gave up booze, like you said it's just an added bonus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Drink very very rarely and probably main reason is Im very wary about getting a dependance on it. It is by nature an addictive substance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Elenxor

I hope so, really feel great in the knowledge that I won't ever be drinking again. It's just not for me :)

One day at time....it really works:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Jaysus ye must have mutated when yis had a beer

bryaner wrote: »
    Jaysus ye must have mutated when yis had a beer

Same as an awful lot of people really. Ever been anywhere that serves booze past 12 o clock? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Same as an awful lot of people really. Ever been anywhere that serves booze past 12 o clock? :)

Yea but I tend to avoid I like me few evening time beers, agreed it does get messy post 12 o clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Alcofreegirly

I decided to give up last week, I had cut down previously because I was sick of hangovers ruining my weekends n stuff but after wasting half the day in bed on Sunday I decided that was it.

Feeling great about the decision, I work in a job where you have to be on the ball and feeling so much more alert. I was made redundant & was out of work for 6 months before I got this so I really have to put in my very best effort.

Had my first big success on Friday.. good omen me thinks :D Boss arrived in with a bottle of champers to congratulate me this morning though :rolleyes: will be keeping it for my wedding day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I've been off alcohol just shy of a year now. The only good thing thing for me is about 800 quid more which I'm still managing to waste on other stuff. >_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Lolnouska

you bought a whole new wardrobe did you? hmmm... I'm pretty sure your girlfriend did :rolleyes:

Lolnouska wrote: »
    you bought a whole new wardrobe did you? hmmm... I'm pretty sure your girlfriend did :rolleyes:

Nah she's an absolute scabtimus prime!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I used to be a social drinker and gave it up 2 years ago. Since then I dropped 2 stone, ran the Dublin City Marathon, enjoy the feeling of weeking up every Monday without a hangover and am financially better off.

djhunter30 wrote: »
    I used to be a social drinker and gave it up 2 years ago. Since then I dropped 2 stone, ran the Dublin City Marathon, enjoy the feeling of weeking up every Monday without a hangover and am financially better off.

Congrats! My aim is to run a marathon next year. How long were you training for it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

About 8 months, but I just trained to complete it. If you intend on getting a sports massage after, or you'll really suffer. Very enjoyable experience though!

djhunter30 wrote: »
    About 8 months, but I just trained to complete it. If you intend on getting a sports massage after, or you'll really suffer. Very enjoyable experience though!

8 months isn't bad at all fair play dj! I'm aiming at running one in the summer 2011. I'll do a 10k a the end of this summer then start running further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Tender Hoop

I'm over four months off the juice now.

I'm not going to lie to you.

I'm bored, angry, constantly losing my temper, feel like I'm missing out on all the fun. I'm fcuking sick of AA and the recovery scene. I hate the fact that I'm an alcoholic.

I'm 29 and I cant drink again or i will die.

Tender Hoop,

Thats good you are off it four months. You are being very hard on yourself. I'm not going to say much as I'm no expert. But can I suggest that you try to do some thing(s) that you enjoy or you think that you might like to get your mind of the sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 josh3

tenderhoop....i am in same boat to a certain degree...four months off it in two weeks time...feel great phsically but at times my head gets done in....i am cople years younger then you(27)go to aa,aftercare as well as i done treatment...i dont know how it got to this for me,it has all happened so fast,it is hard.yesterday i was low,rock bottom but then yesterday evening was great form and the same today...there is a family party on as i write this and i can honestly say,am delighted i did not go....they understand why.....i think...one day at a time for me,and i always tell myself that its my choice to drink/drug or not...if i decide to next week so be it,but for today i wont and it is keeping me clean and sober....best of luck...

Advertisement