Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patrick's Day Parade

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ilovelimerick

Thanks for the kind words about our float! We have absolutely no funding or budget and we managed to put it together in a matter of days with blood sweat and tears and the love, help, support and skills of lots of wonderful people!
    CCSL wrote: »
    Its got to be hard to get anyone to enter the parade and not to expect them to want to advertise their company at the same time but it did seem a bit over the top this year. Besides the Scouts and local groups it was all commercial.

I think that if they have a theme then those that enter the parade have to put in a bit of effort and not just stick a I love limerick sticker on their van and drive it down O'Connell St infront of a captive audience.

Look at the effort that some made - The northside learning hub and the Polish School were great. The actual I love Limerick Float was great as well.

I think a smaller parade with more interesting floats and groups rather than a parade of Limerick companies would ensure a better turnout next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Raiser wrote: »
    They were Willie O'Deas Mowags - Why we have budgeted for and purchased Mowags that we haven't bother to deploy is currently beyond me.

You're quite incorrect here, the majority of the Mowags are continually overseas on EU and UN missions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ecowarm

Hi All,

I do agree with a lot of what you say, but on behalf of both me and my staff I feel you are being a bit harsh, we did put a lot of effort into our entry, the theme for the parade was "love limerick" (which we do), all of our trucks were decorated with Balloons, flags both irish and limerick, large hearts with slogans written on them such as "the heart of the midwest", "love limerick sport" etc., a lot of thought and planning went into it, unlike a lot of other companies we did not just drive down the street we participated,there was a float which we put a lot of effort into decorating, all of us were decked out in our paddy's day attire handing out balloons and firing T-shirts out of cannons, we started at 5am to blowup almost 5,000 balloons and roll up a 1,000 t-shirts, all of our staff willingly gave up their day to participate and had a loads of fun especially seeing the joy on the kids faces when they got a balloon or T-Shirt. you have to acknowledge the effort we went to... I do take the point there was too many trucks/vans of ours in the parade (10 in total), not until the parade was in motion did i realise this and that is completely my fault.
    Next year will be bigger and better, we've already started planning as this is one of many ways we give back to our customers and the people of limerick and I do thick it is important to show our support for our city and it's people
    I do think no-one with out a float should be aloud to participate and in hindsight a limit on the amount of vehicles aloud.

appreciate your comments,

Best regards

Darren Lee
    Managing Director
    EcoWarm Insulations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Fair play for coming on and acknowledging some of the faults , one fault really , as one poster already said it is supposed to be a float parade not a fleet parade :D . And also for explaining the effort put in and the plan for next year . I would hope in these tough times no one would begrudge a bit of advertising as long as it stays within the spirit of the parade .

I'll gladly let ye insulate the outside of my house for free and ye can put up as much advertising as ye like :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

My sister went to the parade with her children and said rude woman blocked the view for the kids, like went out in front of the barriers. I didn't go in, I didn't think it would be that good, last year 2 foreign children groped me while I was trying to see over people, what was last year's like compared to this year? I couldn't see anything.
    Excellent photos from today's parade here; http://blog.munsterbusiness.ie/
    I found a picture of my friend's niece among the photos, so thank you.
    Raiser wrote:
    Weren't you really impressed to see an Eco Warm Truck, and then an Eco Warm Truck and then an Eco Warm Truck and then an Eco Warm Truck Eco Warm Truck, and then an Eco Warm Truck and then an Eco Warm Truck and then an Eco Warm Truck and then an Eco Warm Van and then an Eco Warm Van?
    That made me laugh so much, you made my night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Sera wrote: »
    My sister went to the parade with her children and said rude woman blocked the view for the kids, like went out in front of the barriers. I didn't go in, I didn't think it would be that good, last year 2 foreign children groped me while I was trying to see over people, what was last year's like compared to this year? I couldn't see anything.
    I found a picture of my friend's niece among the photos, so thank you.
    That made me laugh so much, you made my night.

Actually ItsDaQuack isn't foreign - That was Chartbusters last ever recession-buster all over Glo-Tan™

- I had a charming Scumbag Couple push through and stand in front of me too; I just looked over their stunted little heads as I wasn't raised on Bensin nd Heges, Burgers and Coke :P

@ Mr. Darren Lee of Eco Warm, your response and attitude are to your credit, in fairness it takes courage to shoot clothing at the People of Limerick - I wish your and your Company continued success and look forward to next March 17th til we meet again - Its unlikely to be before that as I enjoy draughts, damp walls and the focus gained from a chilled environment.
    CCSL wrote: »
    My Fav Pic of the day..

Nobody polishes Helmet like a Limerick Girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

ecowarm wrote: »
    Hi All,

I do agree with a lot of what you say, but on behalf of both me and my staff I feel you are being a bit harsh, we did put a lot of effort into our entry, the theme for the parade was "love limerick" (which we do), all of our trucks were decorated with Balloons, flags both irish and limerick, large hearts with slogans written on them such as "the heart of the midwest", "love limerick sport" etc., a lot of thought and planning went into it, unlike a lot of other companies we did not just drive down the street we participated,there was a float which we put a lot of effort into decorating, all of us were decked out in our paddy's day attire handing out balloons and firing T-shirts out of cannons, we started at 5am to blowup almost 5,000 balloons and roll up a 1,000 t-shirts, all of our staff willingly gave up their day to participate and had a loads of fun especially seeing the joy on the kids faces when they got a balloon or T-Shirt. you have to acknowledge the effort we went to... I do take the point there was too many trucks/vans of ours in the parade (10 in total), not until the parade was in motion did i realise this and that is completely my fault.
    Next year will be bigger and better, we've already started planning as this is one of many ways we give back to our customers and the people of limerick and I do thick it is important to show our support for our city and it's people
    I do think no-one with out a float should be aloud to participate and in hindsight a limit on the amount of vehicles aloud.

Best regards

Darren Lee
    Managing Director
    EcoWarm Insulations

Well done ecowarm.

The cynic in me would see your posting as an opportunity to gain yet more exposure for your company but in fairness having explained your side of the story it makes sense. Hopefully next year you'll have less vans and trucks.

I've used your company once and have been recommending you to others ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

Hi All,

Best regards

Darren Lee
    Managing Director
    EcoWarm Insulations
    well fair play to you for that anyway,,you did have way too many trucks/vans it was like watching a traffic jam but good that you have seen the mistake.
    maybe if you build a float around a small van or jeep it might work better.
    the parade in general was very boring in comparison to dublin which looked more like the carnival in rio,,looked super.
    better luck next year.

I've been working on next years entry already, I do think something along the lines of a carnival idea is best and I just received word from a major performer that is very interested, early stages yet but I would hope to have around ten performers putting on a good show the whole way through the parade and of course we will still have t-shirts and balloons for the kids, I reckon on around 10,000 balloons are needed as we ran out of them this year by the end of O'Connell Avenue
    I'll Keep you all posted as things progress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

Hi All,

Best regards

Darren Lee
    Managing Director
    EcoWarm Insulations
    Well done on replying here ( Just shows the power of Boards.ie ):cool:
    Have to say I loved the Cannon Idea! And well done to your staff who put in all the effort!
    Aim!!
    IMGP3050.JPG

Fire !!!

IMGP3052.JPG

LOL.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Raiser wrote: »
    Nobody polishes Helmet like a Limerick Girl.

:eek::D:D:D:D:D:D

As promised this year we put great effort into our parade entry
    we had the amazing Amani acrobats, stilt walkers, clowns and members of the wobbly circus performing,
    along with giving out over 5,000 balloons this year.

I am personally quite proud of our entry this year and the effort all our staff went to in preparing for the parade.
    All our performers then went to the milk market to perform in a charity show in aid of Milford hospice, which there was great interest in,
    Paul Wobbly, Amani acrobats, Bruce Airhead performed and Sean De Burca played great music for over an hour.

Once again I promise next year will be even better, with more performers, some amazing things being planned.

Darren Lee,
    Managing Director
    Ecowarm Insulations

152079.JPG

152080.JPG

152078.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

guys, this is small but really starting to get my goat. i was with the Defence Forces in the parade. I can PERSONALLY GUARANTEE you all that there were no tanks there anywhere.

There were towed anti-aircraft guns and armoured personnel carriers.

But NO tanks!! I can probably even tell you where they all were as well, within 5 miles give or take....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

constantg wrote: »
    guys, this is small but really starting to get my goat. i was with the Defence Forces in the parade. I can PERSONALLY GUARANTEE you all that there were no tanks there anywhere.

But NO tanks!! I can probably even tell you where they all were as well, within 5 miles give or take....

yes sergeant :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

constantg wrote: »

tanks for clearing that up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

well done ecowarm as one of your biggest critics last year i must take my hat off to you for this years great parade.
    the whole parade was much better this time,,fair paly to all involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

And the weather was good for a change!

We had myself and another Photographer covering the parade.
    Rather than post load and loads of pics

you can see and download for free from our Picasa album

https://picasaweb.google.com/Munster.Images/StPatricksDayLimerickParade2011#

Over 800 pics from the day.
    Also pics from Adare
    and the band parade online as well.

Fantastic Weekend!
    :D

Advertisement