Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under Tile insulation

Options
  • 17-03-2010 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

I have a house with concrete floors, the kitchen has ceramic tiles and the rest of the downstairs has carpet directly on top of concrete.

We are planning a total upgrade and will be laying wooden floors and re-tiling the kitchen.

I want to add floor insulation before re-tiling and laying wooden floors.

So what are my options...
    I guess the old tiles will be hard to lift (if not impossible).
    I would like to lay some sort of insulation board before applying new tiles.

So.. what is the best material to use?
    Can old tiles be lifted.. to give a level starting point?
    If not, can insulation board be applied over old tiles without making the final floor too high?

Thanks in advance.
    Ray

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭DiarmaidGNR

trackerman wrote: »
    I have a house with concrete floors, the kitchen has ceramic tiles and the rest of the downstairs has carpet directly on top of concrete.

We are planning a total upgrade and will be laying wooden floors and re-tiling the kitchen.

I want to add floor insulation before re-tiling and laying wooden floors.

So what are my options...
    I guess the old tiles will be hard to lift (if not impossible).
    I would like to lay some sort of insulation board before applying new tiles.

So.. what is the best material to use?
    Can old tiles be lifted.. to give a level starting point?
    If not, can insulation board be applied over old tiles without making the final floor too high?

Thanks in advance.
    Ray

Hi Ray,

I am in a similar situation myself, - did you find a solution for under tile insulation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Look up jackoboard or similar product available in heatmerchants or tubs and tiles also Goodwins
    It's a cement based waterproof insulated tile backer board available in 600x1200 sheets at 6mm up to 75mm+sheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FJJD

Anyone here have experience with this in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thread is 14 years old.

Tiles can be lifted up pretty easily.
    Insulation can be laid very easily.
    The floor wil of course he raised significantly. Which will impact all doors, entrances, exits, ceiling heights, shelf heights, kitchen units, etc.

Advertisement