Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mercedes CDI injector carbonisation

• 17-03-2010 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Hey gang.

Not the first time I have come across the problem of non-sealing injectors resulting in carbon getting up past them and coating the top of the rocker cover in coal like carbon.

It is however the first one I have done that I own and I don't want to break anything!

Anybody any tips to freeing the injectors and getting them out to clean up the bore and replace the copper washers?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

there is a special kit for that very job!!! think it was highlighted in the last edition of auto inform.
    Laser do it also the injectors are known to snap/just like the glow plugs also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I haven't seen one snap.

I did however weld a sliding hammer to one after a few hours of failing to get it out. The red mist descended!

This is my own engine so don't want to be doing anything like that. It is only the no1 injector too. I have left it soaking in diesel for a few days to see if it will soften its grip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

hope it loosens up for you but there deffoo is a puller available for them
    just can't think of the website....

They Merc tool that they supply is a joke. It is only a toy of a thing and basically useless.

I have access to it but it would fail where some gently prying would get it out. Prying can break the rocker cover which is a disaster.

Do the CDI car engines give the same problem? I have only ever worked on Sprinters and Vitos

I got the lend of this tool from a mate of mine.

4335_front.jpg

Delighted I didn't buy it, the leg that is supposed to go into the indent on the injector does not fit between the injector and the rocker cover.

I had to take the solenoid off the top of the injector to get the collar seen on the top left in the kit on and take it out that way. I didn't think the injector would survive this and although it went back together and the van started afterwards it failed with a day or 2.

I think a good design would be the collar that i used with a swiveling eye on the top of it. To this you could connect a long arm at 90deg with a pivoting fulcrum point with 2 legs that could go on the outer edges of the rocker cover...

There is a thread here which shows one with a rather tame version of it. Mine was a lot worse but thankfully limited to one injector link

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Slidey wrote: »
    The red mist descended!

Uh Oh... usually ends in tears... :D

Fishtits wrote: »
    Uh Oh... usually ends in tears... :D

Aye, busted knuckles and donations to the swear box too!

Advertisement