Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad alternative

• 17-03-2010 11:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

I was thinking, and admittedly still am, of getting an iPad when I visit san fran in June. It would be the 32GB wifi model I think, no need for the 3G.

I have about €500 to play with, not much more and want to know what would people recommend instead of the iPad and why. I am a serious hater of windows but there is a very slight possibility I would be persuaded. I have an iPhone if it makes an difference. Also, I plan(ned) on using the iPad for browsing the web an email while on the couch, and also showing photographs on when at home and out and about, so a similar device would need to fit the bill, preferably only a screen (ie not a netbook). Having said that, if it was of some sort of use, any new piece of similar tech would do (ie not an ipod, archos etc) as long as its in the budget. I basically need a technology fix and don't want to blow it on a glorified touch :pI do not want iPad haters posting how pointless it is etc

Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

nobody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Whats the point? Its clear from your first post that you are unwilling to look at other possibilities and the reasons why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

www.archos.com

They do iPad alternatives! I have one & love it! :D

Whats the point? Its clear from your first post that you are unwilling to look at other possibilities and the reasons why.

I'm actually not. I basically asked for a few suggestions and persuasion one way or the other, not because I'm not man enough to make a decision, but because I want more than my own opinion. Maybe that's a better way of putting it, so thanks for letting me know :)

I suppose the best way to describe this is
    alexlyons wrote:
    I basically need a technology fix and don't want to blow it on a glorified touch

So anything that is of functioning use, not necessarily a tablet, that is in the budget is a welcome suggestion! No holes bared, throw up anything that you think is good in terms of new tech.

• Advertisement

DKZ wrote: »
    www.archos.com

They do iPad alternatives! I have one & love it! :D

saw that, looks good, how much is it and what's it like in terms of use etc? wasn't wowed by it!
    david7536 wrote: »

that looks very cool! I wonder will it be out by early june..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

There are a lot of Chinese media players like the QSmart V5/7 you could look at.
    Depends really on what you want to use the iPad for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

/\/ollog wrote: »
    There are a lot of Chinese media players like the QSmart V5/7 you could look at.
    Depends really on what you want to use the iPad for.

media player isn't exactly what I'm after as such, as I said, it doesn't have to be similar to an iPad at all, but if it was it would want to wipe the floor with it! Not sure if that's possible hence the expansion to any new tech
    davmigil wrote: »

doesn't look to bad! thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Any tablet with Linux on it would fit the bill surely.

• Advertisement

CiaranC wrote: »
    Any tablet with Linux on it would fit the bill surely.

probably would, not sure about linux or what one would best suit it etc.. OSX nerd.. linux n00b :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

alexlyons wrote: »
    media player isn't exactly what I'm after as such, as I said, it doesn't have to be similar to an iPad at all, but if it was it would want to wipe the floor with it! Not sure if that's possible hence the expansion to any new tech

doesn't look to bad! thanks

Your first post mentioned showing off pictures, all pmp's can do that.
    Plus it's cool.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Your first post mentioned showing off pictures, all pmp's can do that.
    Plus it's cool.

it certainly did. although I'm not sure if it's totally necessary tbh. I am basically looking for what people think of them and their suggestions. Doesn't have to show pictures, just something new etc... this is a bit broad to say the least, but the suggestions so far are god, if not a little all down the same line..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

saw that and it looks very cool! doesn't seem to have the problems people mention of 7 not being designed for multi touch etc. not being released for aaages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Either the HP Slate, or the new Dell Mini 5. It's their first forray into tablets, but it's already kicking the iPads ass in terms of hardware. They'll be making larger versions, I'd imagine a 7/9 inch version would be pretty perfect.

the hp slate is what apple should have made IMO. I might get one but I was hoping to get something in san fran when I'm there in june.

the dell mini, i'm not mad about! dunno what it is, its definitely to small, but even if they made a big one, i don't think it would have anything on the slate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

thejoojoo.com or HP Slate

1000 posts WOOHOO

thejoojoo looks incredible!! I'd pre-order that in a flash! shame it's only 4GB though :(

Having said that, looking at it a bit more, it's basically a toned down iPad... no games, app store or anything, just internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

thejoojoo looks incredible!! I'd pre-order that in a flash! shame it's only 4GB though :(

Having said that, looking at it a bit more, it's basically a toned down iPad... no games, app store or anything, just internet

Its all id want it for. At least you can have flash on it and its a nix distro!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

But it has USB connections.. there's a good chance it'll support external storage.

I think JooJoo is the most promising so far.. and it's apparently shipping next week so we'll know more on reliability, build quality then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

saw that, looks good, how much is it and what's it like in terms of use etc? wasn't wowed by it!

that looks very cool! I wonder will it be out by early june..?

What one were you looking at? I got an Archos 5 120GB for €250, but that's more of a pocket internet tablet. If you're looking for a home tablet, you'd be looking around €400-€600.

Advertisement