Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dash board lights

• 17-03-2010 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

i recently could not get my car to start in the cold weather , anyhow changed the battery and the car started fine but now when I start the car the dash lights are excessively bright and when the a battery goes under load( ie heads turned on) the brighness goes back to normal .Any ideas ?.Its a 06 avensis .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

did you get the correct spec battery? They can differ hugely in ouput.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

E39MSport wrote: »
    did you get the correct spec battery? They can differ hugely in ouput.

I was just thinking that .I just went to the car parts battery, the battery i did notice the battery he gave me was much bigger.cheers ,thanks ! BTW will it damage the ecu if its wrong ?

The bigger ones are generally more heavy duty and have a higher cold crank output. I'm not a leccy but I think that means they can deliver more if asked. The voltage should still be the same.

Either way, I'd get a proper spec one and take it from there.

ECU would be blown by now if it was going to be an issue imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Maybe worth checking the alternator voltage output....should'nt be
    putting out more than 14 volts-ish...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Row wrote: »
    Maybe worth checking the alternator voltage output....should'nt be
    putting out more than 14 volts-ish...:)

Battery size isn't your problem, get your alt checked as advised above. An overcharging alternator will give you bright lights, bulb failures and will destroy a battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

Fishtits wrote: »
    Battery size isn't your problem, get your alt checked as advised above. An overcharging alternator will give you bright lights, bulb failures and will destroy a battery.

i'd agree with that because the night it went dead .I was using the radio for 20 mins. Trie to start the car and it died. The battery is double the amps of the original .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Either way, I'd get a proper spec one and take it from there.
    Why, though?

Not your ornery onager

Coz I put an sub spec battery in my 8er and she won't turn over.

Whay not stick to spec?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Coz I put an sub spec battery in my 8er and she won't turn over. Why not stick to spec?
    Big difference between a sub-spec battery and an over-spec one! One causes problems, the other does not.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Big difference between a sub-spec battery and an over-spec one! One causes problems, the other does not.

Furry smurf. Gonna get me (edit: - 2) a big ass ones then... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Yep, sounds like an alternator issue.

Provided you have the correct voltage (12v in the vast majority of cases) and at least the minimum required CCA (Cold Cranking Amps), the total CCA capacity of the batteries doesn't matter. The more CCA you have, the bigger your 'reservoir' of available current and the longer you can keep electrical items running before a failed or faulty charging system brings things to a halt.
    From an electrical point of view, the size and shape of the battery is irrelevant.

Advertisement