Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying Nursing

Options
  • 17-03-2010 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

I have applied to radiography & nursing next year but I am second thinking nursing.
    I did my work experience in a hospital which had the worst atmosphere & nobody seemed happy in their career, I don't want to let one experience put me off but it really has.
    That along with the fact that I know 4 nurses who retrained due to hating it has clouded my once excited outlook on studying nursing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

I can't speak from personal experience Laydee, so this mightn't be so much help, but is it possible that you're just seeing the one side at the moment? You're right in that a lot of my friends who work in the public hospitals are less than enamoured of it at the moment and have been very much put off working as a public nurse, even going back to retrain. That said those friends in the private sector seem to love it, they have completely different conditions of work, and seem to have an overall more rewarding experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I used to want to be a nurse myself but the conditions they work in totally put me off. I worked as a care assistant last year and was told by many that I'd make a great nurse but no way would I do it now.

I worked in a private hospital where the C/As did most of the heavy work so I guess, yeah working privately is a nicer experience.

Maybe working abroad after graduating could be an idea if you want to study it?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

The working conditions are also not very appealing, they are always suffering when cuts need to be made.
    I did work experience in radiography too & I loved every minute of it. That is what I'm comparing my nursing work experience to so it really seems like a bad job compared to radiography. They all loved their jobs.
    I don't have any plans to go abroad after I qualify, I hope to stay here.

I think all my doubts are coming to light now that it's getting close.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Keep going for the Radiography route then!! Took me two goes to get into Physio so if you're persistent it pays off. :)

Meant to say, my friend did some nursing shadowing and it totally put her off it as a career. She's thinking of something completely different. I think if you really want to do it you would stick with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Curlz

Just reading your comments there. I have always wanted to do nursing but only getting round to applying this year (im 26 in June) seeing your comments & doing some work experience is making me a bit aprehensive. I know i have the personality and the desire to help/care for people but its very daunting when I dont know 'really' what to expect. I worked in an old persons nursing home for a few weeks and it made me realise I didn't want to work in that area if i was to qualify. In saying that,I am doing volunteer work in one of the Childrens Hospitals and so far so good. Its like anything you do in life I guess, its the unknown that we fear, once we get into it its not as bad. I'm rambling a bit here but there you go! :eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭allsaintssue

Hey,

I am in third year Nursing and have evry intention of studying post grad medicine, thats nothing to do with nursing, it has just always been my plan.
    To be totally honest I would recommend nursing as a career but not in this country. I think it is one of the most potentially satisfying jobs in the world and I have had some of the most amazing, loveliest experiences because of it.
    However, I have found on the whole that it is such a bitchy, bitchy field. I don't know if it is becuase it is a predominantly female field or what. I don't want to let down the female species but seriously there is so much back biting and in fighting it disgusts me. The worse stories I have involve members of the nursing staff, any positives are patient related.
    It is a great job but I read recently that 75% of nurses choose a different career path within 3 years of qualifying, this doesnt suprise me in the least!! Training is and always will be the hardest part of the journey to become a nurse (most of the bitching/bullying is directed at us) but if you can overcome that you will have a satisfying career.

Advertisement