Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Polo Fuel consumption???

• 17-03-2010 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a VW Polo year 2000. As my first car (that I actually bought and paid for myself) I paid 1,500e for it with 2 year NCT and 3 month road tax remaining.

The car has a 1 litre pertol engine. I'm quite used to driving diesel cars having driven my parents cars for the past 10 years. I used to have a Peugeot 206 1.9ltr Diesel and often drove their VW Golf TDI (Red D&I). With my Polo I seem to be getting between 350-400 miles on a full tank. I'm guessing the tank is about 45 litres as when I tried to fill it up today it was quite far in red and I could only fit in 43.5 litres in it.

This equals somewhere between 7.78 - 8.89 miles a litre. Is this good? Is this what I should be expecting? When I was driving my Peugeot 206 years ago I managed to get approx 470 miles on a full tank towing a dingy (small boat) across England. If the tanks are the same that would equate to 10.44 miles per litre.The Golf would get approx 11.76 miles per litre.

While I am doing more city driving at the moment it is not very substantial. When I drive home (100 miles) at the weekend it uses more than a quarter of my tank.

Whats the story here? I have a far smaller engine in my Polo but seem to be consuming far more fuel? Also with the price of petrol to Diesel I am spending far more on fuel than I used to. Could it be because its an old car (2000)?

The only saving I can see is on my car tax which is about 133e compared to approx 580e on the diesel cars.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

between 35 to 40 mpg i would say its not too bad considering its a 1 litre engine ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

The problem with that engine is that its so weak, you end up having a false economy because you have to work it so hard to get anywhere at all. There the harsh facts of it tbh, as well, those VAG MPi engines were never known for their fuel efficiency, or reliability for that matter. I would say 40mpg is about as good as you hope for with it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The new bluemotion Diesel Polos have been rated in excess of 80MPG! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

The only thing that has in common with the OP's situation is the name "polo"

Advertisement