Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

brake pad warning light

• 18-03-2010 12:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

ok I was driving to a filling station this evening and the "brake pads worn" warning light flashed up on my ECU display followed by a warning siren. The message permanantely stayed there until I reached the filling station. When I started up engine after refilling, the message did not pop up on my ecu display anymore. I did ECU system check and no warning symbols or problems were detected by the ECU. Why would the "brake pads worn" symbol flash up in one instance and not appear anymore after that. I have almost 83k up on my car and all the brake pads were replaced at 80k.

Car is an 2000 Audi A4 1.9tdi.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Did you brake hard or brake while turning when the light came on first?

If they were only replaced 3k ago, i'd just leave it and if it comes on again take it to a garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Maybe you have a dodgy sensor? Not something I heard of before as the sensor is made into the brake pad and obviously replaced with the pad.

Are they OEM pads? If so, go back to the mechanic and have them replaced if necessary. If you did the job yourself, maybe you need to get a replacment pads under warranty. You shouldn't be seeing this after 3k miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭kev91

there could be a split in the wire and if you turned the two wires crossed which then flashed the light on your dash happened before on the fathers car

what you can do yourself is jack car up take each wheel of one at a time and have a wee look at the pads if they look bad bring it to a garage to get changed

things like brake warning lights comin on is somethin i wouldn leave to see if it happins again unless a mechainc has cheked the car and said leave it till it comes on again

hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Senna wrote: »
    Did you brake hard or brake while turning when the light came on first?

If they were only replaced 3k ago, i'd just leave it and if it comes on again take it to a garage.

I was driving on a straight stretch of road when the warning light came on. I was running low on fuel and I thought it was that first until I actually saw the symbol.

teednab-el wrote: »
    I was driving on a straight stretch of road when the warning light came on. I was running low on fuel and I thought it was that first until I actually saw the symbol.

by any chance did you hit a pot hole ??

• Advertisement

ksimpson wrote: »
    Maybe you have a dodgy sensor? Not something I heard of before as the sensor is made into the brake pad and obviously replaced with the pad.

Are they OEM pads? If so, go back to the mechanic and have them replaced if necessary. If you did the job yourself, maybe you need to get a replacment pads under warranty. You shouldn't be seeing this after 3k miles.

I got all pads replaced by my mechanic on my last service of the car at 80k. I agree I thought seeing that warning light before 3k miles after having them replaced with new ones was unusual.

kev91 wrote: »
    by any chance did you hit a pot hole ??

I didnt hit one on that stretch of road but Ive hit a good few in the last 2 months with the state of some of the roads Ive had to travel on.

sometimes if you hit a pot hole it can dislodge the sender on the brakes
    best bet would be get a mechanic to have a look at it

Advertisement