Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Went through a red light

• 18-03-2010 12:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

Ok about a half an hour ago i was stopped.Coming up to a orange light,i sped up to go through an orange light..I was then stopped by gardai..im a prov driver aged 20..He said hes gonna let me go about having no full licence passenger but he said he is going to fine me..Do i get penalty point for this as well..The annoying thing is that there was no traffic at all..and i know i probably at fault but can anyone tell me what will happen.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Fine and 2 penalty points.

Welcome to the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Let me take the holier than thou stance on this one.
    The light was amber so you "sped up" to go through it.........
    You were "probably" at fault all right, traffic or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

To put icing on the cake,i was practicing for my full license tomorrow just before i got it:rolleyes:

I told him it and he said with a smile "your gonna fail":)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

chalk it down to experience ,its not the end of the world best of luck with your test tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭steve french

let us know how you get on with the test.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

A lesson hard learned, but remember, next time you "speed up" to try and make an amber light, someone coming across from the left or right, might be doing exactly the same thing, what with filter arrows, not to mention pedestrians. Even a green light should be treated with caution. Best of luck with the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Stupid thing to do but at least you learned the lession.
    best of luck in the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Fol20 wrote: »
    i know i probably at fault
    Pray tell, who else would have been at fault? Drive a Toyota by any chance?
    The annoying thing is that there was no traffic at all.
    Evidently there was a police car. Might want to concentrate on the observation today.

Don't get me wrong, I've done it too. My point is that we shouldn't do it, and we shouldn't equivocate or fudge if we get get pulled up for it.

Oh, and best of luck on the test today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Good point Dave - no other traffic on the road - except a cop car...

doh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP, for your test, bear in mind amber means STOP, unless it would be unsafe to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

kippy wrote: »
    Let me take the holier than thou stance on this one.
    The light was amber so you "sped up" to go through it.........
    You were "probably" at fault all right, traffic or not.

The law states you MUST stop for an orange light unless its unsafe to do so. Orange lights are not there for fun. If you had to speed up to get across the junction this means you had plenty of time to stop on the orange light. If you paid for lessons I'd ask for my money back. Grab yourself a copy of Rules of the road and have a good read about traffic lights:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Andrew33 wrote: »
    The law states you MUST stop for an orange light unless its unsafe to do so. Orange lights are not there for fun. If you had to speed up to get across the junction this means you had plenty of time to stop on the orange light. If you paid for lessons I'd ask for my money back. Grab yourself a copy of Rules of the road and have a good read about traffic lights:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Sorry,
    Not sure if you are aiming that reply at me.
    Read my post again and notice the use of sped and lashings of sarcasm.

Im getting the worst luck ever...:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I had one driving lesson before the test..Car was perfect..

Then a half hour before the test my car gets all screwed up and becomes v.jumpy and makes banging noises..

The instructor let me do the test..i couldnt get any power in my car at all so i got 3x grade 2s for not progressing and 4 for being too close to stationary cars:mad::mad:..

Every 5 mins in the car i was apologizing for the problems my car..

On top of that when i went into the garda station to hand in my insurance cert,the guy that fined me was behind the counter..He smiled when i told him the story...:o

I never heard of someone failing the test because of that,and the other 3 came from the screwed up car.

This following on from a thread i made last week of something else where i lost a 120
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055847735

It aint my month

Im getting the worst luck ever...:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I had one driving lesson before the test..Car was perfect..

Then a half hour before the test my car gets all screwed up and becomes v.jumpy and makes banging noises..

The instructor let me do the test..i couldnt get any power in my car at all so i got 3x grade 2s for not progressing and 4 for being too close to stationary cars:mad::mad:..

Every 5 mins in the car i was apologizing for the problems my car..

On top of that when i went into the garda station to hand in my insurance cert,the guy that fined me was behind the counter..He smiled when i told him the story...:o

I never heard of someone failing the test because of that,and the other 3 came from the screwed up car.

This following on from a thread i made last week of something else where i lost a 120
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055847735

It aint my month

.......are you looking for sympathy or just telling a story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

If you're going to gamble on amber check your mirror for the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Just wondering if you don't mind saying, how much were you fined for it?

And Bad luck with the test.
    Always remember for the future to cover your brakes as you approach traffic lights. Never accelerate towards them. Even if they're green.
    In your test if the lights go yellow and you don't stop at the lights, you'll get a fault.
    Always brake as soon as you see the lights go yellow. No matter how far or close you're from the lights.
    Unless, obviously you're like 10mts from the lights, then accelerate away cuz if you bake then, you won't stop before the white line for the lights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Always remember for the future to cover your brakes as you approach traffic lights. Never accelerate towards them. Even if they're green.
    In your test if the lights go yellow and you don't stop at the lights, you'll get a fault.
    Always brake as soon as you see the lights go yellow. No matter how far or close you're from the lights.
    Unless, obviously you're like 10mts from the lights, then accelerate away cuz if you bake then, you won't stop before the white line for the lights.

Depends on your speed, only with experience can that by judged. 10 meters would be far too short on a road with an 80kmp/h speed limit. Stop before line if you can. Otherwise proceed through it.

i know,in the test i was grand for that...i actually couldnt go quick enough with my car screwed up...I thought it was the gear box at fault,but after i came home i left the car for about 2 hours before i checked it again,and nows it grand(i hope)..I filled up my petrol just before i went for the test and my dad thinks i might have got bad fuel or something.....

When i called into the station i asked how much the fine will be and he told me 80

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

.......are you looking for sympathy or just telling a story?

I was going to say that was harsh but i looked at the link. The answer is sympathy i would say,

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Let he who has never driven through an amber/red light cast the first stone. Almost everyone goes through amber the odd time & in Dublin breaking red lights is very common. Not saying it is correct but breaking red lights is probably endemic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

wonder if the OP's real name is Earl Hickey, karma comes in all forms

McSpud wrote: »
    Let he who has never driven through an amber/red light cast the first stone. Almost everyone goes through amber the odd time & in Dublin breaking red lights is very common. Not saying it is correct but breaking red lights is probably endemic.

Directly proportional to how late for work you are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

That amber light is a pita. Once many moons ago doing a test I went past the lights while they were green into the yellow box to turn right. The flow of traffic from the other direction didn't get light enough to turn right until the light had gone red. I was _already_ in the yellow box and the guy failed me. He didn't tell me mind and I did the rest of the test flawlessly but he failed me for that. What a pita. It's a stupid junction in Carlow too. The town with the most mental junctions in all of Ireland :)

McSpud wrote: »

One thing going through amber lights, another speeding up to do it and then wonder whether you deserved the points or not........
    Next time there could be an artic or bus with the same notions.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

I was stopped in two lanes of traffic one day, I was on the inside lane going straight ahead. There was a van on the outside lane awaiting the right hand filter light, but the way he was stopped he was obscuring my view of the lights on front of me to the right.

I had passed the light on my left hand side, any way I drove off and my light had turned red , but the filter light to the right was green. As I pulled away I spotted a Garda on my left reaching for his pocket and by his body language he was going to do me, by reg number .

I pulled into the side of the road when I went through and I walked back to him, I apologised to him and told him the story. He told me only I went to the trouble to stop and go back he'd have done me, I suppose I was very lucky!

I pulled into the side of the road when I went through and I walked back to him, I apologised to him and told him the story. He told me only I went to the trouble to stop and go back he'd have done me, I suppose I was very lucky!

Did he expect you were going back for a chat?
    And dont be so relieved, I've seen this before and you should have your summons in a few weeks :pac:

Sorry,
    Not sure if you are aiming that reply at me.
    Read my post again and notice the use of sped and lashings of sarcasm.

Sorry Kippy, was not aiming it at you, just used your post as a quote as it was the shortest:)
    Definitely aimed at idiot OP. Grrrr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

flamegrill wrote: »
    That amber light is a pita. Once many moons ago doing a test I went past the lights while they were green into the yellow box to turn right. The flow of traffic from the other direction didn't get light enough to turn right until the light had gone red. I was _already_ in the yellow box and the guy failed me. He didn't tell me mind and I did the rest of the test flawlessly but he failed me for that. What a pita. It's a stupid junction in Carlow too. The town with the most mental junctions in all of Ireland :)

I might be wrong about this, but don't the rules of the road state that you shouldn't proceed into a yellow hatched area unless you can proceed completely through it to the other side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

jimoc wrote: »
    don't the rules of the road state that you shouldn't proceed into a yellow hatched area unless you can proceed completely through it to the other side?

How hard would it be to look and see? There might be other surprises in there for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I might be wrong about this, but don't the rules of the road state that you shouldn't proceed into a yellow hatched area unless you can proceed completely through it to the other side?

unless you are turning right I think is the rule (well it is in the UK, it could be any damn thing here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

We learn through experience.

BostonB wrote: »
    We learn through experience.
    Indeed, however when it comes to motoring we may not get that second chance to practice what we've learned through experience. Hence the reasons why you should adhere to the lights.

Indeed, however when it comes to motoring we may not get that second chance to practice what we've learned through experience. Hence the reasons why you should adhere to the lights.

If you are having near death moments that often, maybe drivings not for you. Obviously the rules are in place for a reason.

I should have quoted what I was replying to, it got moved out of context.

Thats not always possible, for many reasons, you often can't see the exit until you pull into the box, or theres oncomming traffic that doesn't stop until the light turns red. So you have to pull into the box and wait. Also sometimes if you don't enter the box, someone will queue skip in another lane then jump into your exit space or the box at the top of the queue. sometimes leaving you stuck in the box when the light changes. Ths happens almost every turn of the lights at some junctions. Of course the cop only sees the person in the box, not the queue jumper.

Theres common sense between making progress and blocking the junction.

.....The annoying thing is that there was no traffic at all..and i know i probably at fault but can anyone tell me what will happen.

If you keep ignoring the rules you might kill someone. Alternatively the cop could have done you for dangerous driving, and at 20 good luck with your insurance after that. The best thing you can learn at 20 is patience. Don't be in a rush to get anywhere. It leads to mistakes.

• Advertisement

Except when turning right

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Pray tell, who else would have been at fault?
    Its the garda's fault - they shouldn't have been there and should have been off catching real criminals ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Oh get off your high horse... :rolleyes:

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Oh get off your high horse... :rolleyes:

I'm not really going to have a go at you max but your attitude is pretty typical of the majority of Irish drivers, "ah sure the light had only just gone red when I went throught it" "ah sure I was only doing 75 outside the school" Drivers need to start taking responsibility for their own actions. FFS, OP actually doesn't see any wrong in his/her actions and actually thinks its possibly someone elses fault! So, I'm sorry, I'll stay up here in the high saddle.

If you keep ignoring the rules you might kill someone. Alternatively the cop could have done you for dangerous driving, and at 20 good luck with your insurance after that. The best thing you can learn at 20 is patience. Don't be in a rush to get anywhere. It leads to mistakes.

Again if this was in the middle of the day,i would have stopped..but when it was late in the night with no one in sight i thought he would have let me off

• Advertisement

I'm not really going to have a go at you max but your attitude is pretty typical of the majority of Irish drivers, "ah sure the light had only just gone red when I went throught it" "ah sure I was only doing 75 outside the school" Drivers need to start taking responsibility for their own actions. FFS, OP actually doesn't see any wrong in his/her actions and actually thinks its possibly someone elses fault! So, I'm sorry, I'll stay up here in the high saddle.

Where did i say i was doing 75...more like 40..I never said it was anyone elses fault,but i do think i had left the junction just before it went red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

corktina wrote: »
    unless you are turning right I think is the rule (well it is in the UK, it could be any damn thing here)

Yes, you are allowed into a yellow box to turn right, provided doing so would not block any traffic that has the right of way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Johnaldinioh

Insurance wont go up over that 1 bit . I have 2 penalty points and 6 summons to court and my insurance getting cheaper. Insurance companies generally only take notice if you have 6 or more points .:P:P:P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

sesna wrote: »
    Did he expect you were going back for a chat?
    And dont be so relieved, I've seen this before and you should have your summons in a few weeks :pac:

That was about a year ago, as I said I was lucky.... 2 penalty points and a day in court with a fine, it could have been?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Where did i say i was doing 75...more like 40..I never said it was anyone elses fault,but i do think i had left the junction just before it went red

You weren't pulled over for exiting the junction, you were pulled over for entering it in the first place so the colour of the lights as you were leaving isn't so important. As you said yourself you came up to an amber light and instead of stopping like you were supposed to, you just floored it. That's why the Garda pulled you over.

BTW there seems be a common misunderstanding among the general motoring public about the function of traffic lights. They are there to control traffic entering the junction, not exiting. If you've already entered and the lights then changes to amber or red you are supposed to proceed cautiously out of the junction if safe to do so. There are probably some wierd exceptions to this but that's the general principle.

Insurance wont go up over that 1 bit . I have 2 penalty points and 6 summons to court and my insurance getting cheaper. Insurance companies generally only take notice if you have 6 or more points .:P:P:P:P

Maybe thats true. But I find that hard to believe considering you're a L driver and your other thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055852124

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

For all our sakes. Please stop driving.

Advertisement