Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chequered Screen

• 18-03-2010 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hey all, well packed up my laptop in a hurry earlier today, and the fan was going pretty hard so internally it was probably still pretty hot. I did a hard turn off (by holding down power button), threw it into the bag and headed for home. Just after starting it up and the screen is all distorted and i have a chequered effect across my screen. I can only get towards my desktop in safe mode also , as when i start it up normally i get black screen and some feint chequered pattern. I had the same problem with a graphics card in my deskptop, is my graphics card fried from overheating?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭roryq

Would this be some model of a Dell XPS or a dell with a nvidia graphics card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

I had a similar issue with a HP pavillion laptop a few years ago (17" screen).
    Twas a graphics card issue, and was serviced under the warranty. Service docket stated that the motherboard was replaced, as graphics card is obviously integrated.

If its still under warranty, take it back and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Exodus 1811

I knew it was fried, it was stupid of me to hard reset it when it didnt need to be.. Its a hp pavilion dv9000, nvidia 256mb in it . Well gone past the warranty at this stage, bought it for 1800 three christmas's ago !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I knew it was fried, it was stupid of me to hard reset it when it didnt need to be.. Its a hp pavilion dv9000, nvidia 256mb in it . Well gone past the warranty at this stage, bought it for 1800 three christmas's ago !
    you should have brought it somewhere sooner. I assume its a nvidia 8-series. Probably an 8600 GT or something? Nevermind the memory on it. Anyway, the card is defective.

what you mean brought it somewhere sooner? yea its an 8600 gt.. If its integrated with the motherboard i assume a brand new motherboard will have to be paid for.

• Advertisement

what you mean brought it somewhere sooner? yea its an 8600 gt.. If its integrated with the motherboard i assume a brand new motherboard will have to be paid for.
    I mean did it start doing this recently or has it always run extremely hot and youre only bothering with it now because the screen is checkering?

You shouldve brought it in while it was in warranty. EU law gives you two years. Nvidia settled with laptop vendors (like HP) for Warranty extenstions though; so theres a chance you wont have to pay for the motherboard replacement.

No only recently it started running hot, so i got myself a laptop cooler. Wrote it off to two packed hard drives and cpu power sapping programmes like 3d modelling software for college work. Ill have to check the date on mine, should i go back to where i bought it , or just to a repair vendor? I bought it in stephens green at "thelaptopshop"

No only recently it started running hot, so i got myself a laptop cooler. Wrote it off to two packed hard drives and cpu power sapping programmes like 3d modelling software for college work. Ill have to check the date on mine, should i go back to where i bought it , or just to a repair vendor? I bought it in stephens green at "thelaptopshop"
    At this stage, to HP probably. But check with the store. You'll want your purchase proofs.

2 hard drives? Were you using it on the train a lot? :p

Hmm, purchase proofs could be a problem , will source something though. I havent heard great things about hps customer service, but will give them a ring tomorrow. One was for data, one for software, problem was they weren't very big :P

Advertisement