Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualification to Teach Grinds?

Options
  • 18-03-2010 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi all,

I hope that this isn't repeat-posting, but I couldn't find a thread like this when I searched.

Basically, I am wondering if I need any form of official qualification to teach grinds. I did my Leaving Certificate last year and got 570 points, and I also got the highest mark in Economics in the country. I would be looking to give Japanese (I did it for my leaving and won a scholarship to go there for 6 weeks), Art, and Economics grinds. Would it be enough for me to have done well in them for my Leaving Cert?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Anyone can give grinds. However because you don't actually any qualifications i.e. degree etc, you can't charge unrealistic prices.

I mean the highest I would have paid for grinds when I did the leaving was €30+ and that was for a teacher.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Being good at something is no guarantee you'll be good at helping someone else to be good at it, but give it a lash. I doubt there are many people offering Japanese.

Do you have transport? That would make a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

spurious wrote: »
    Being good at something is no guarantee you'll be good at helping someone else to be good at it, but give it a lash. I doubt there are many people offering Japanese.

Do you have transport? That would make a big difference.

Agree with that one. You will need your own transport to make it worthwhile. As remember, just because one might be good at something and know everything about it, doesn't mean one can teach it. Learning and Teaching, while they go hand in hand, are not the same thing. I know plenty of people who are amazing at something but can't teach to save their lives.

Also, you have to be realistic about what you can charge. Forget about €40 an hour. Lower your sights into the €20 range. And to be very honest, there are easier ways to make money if that would be end goal. A part time job would easily make more in a weekend than a month of grinds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

No, I would say not

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Well considering grinds are part of the black economy(!!), you really don't have to have any qualifications at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement