Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance query

• 18-03-2010 2:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭

Hi all, this isn't really a learning to drive question but as i'm a complete newbie to driving :P so mods feel free to move it if it's in the wrong place.

Perhaps it's a daft question but I am just wondering if it's possible to get 3 or 6 months car insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

ak51535 wrote: »
    Hi all, this isn't really a learning to drive question but as i'm a complete newbie to driving :P so mods feel free to move it if it's in the wrong place.

Perhaps it's a daft question but I am just wondering if it's possible to get 3 or 6 months car insurance?

Not sure if it's available.

You can though get insurance for a year and pay it in full getting a refund for any full months you don't use or pay it monthly by direct debit and cancel it when you want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

If the insurance is going to be in your own name (i.e. you are the main driver of the car) then it is generally only sold on an annual basis. However, as pointed out above it is possible to cancel an insurance policy after 3-6 months but be aware that there is usually some administration charge for this and also its important to note that only full years contribute to you No Claims Bonus so if you drive for 6 months and then stop, next time you come to get an insurance quote you still have 0 years NCB.

If you are going to be a 'named driver' on a car. For example, if it is your parents car and you want to be insured on it then you can be added on a daily, weekly, monthly basis etc so much more flexible. Again admin fees usually apply so not cost effective to be adding/removing constantly for short periods but certainly possible to be added for 6 months. You also do not build up an NCB as such but some companies will get credit for being a 'named driver'.

Final point, if you start out with a policy on a Learner Permit and subsequently pass your test, assuming you are keeping your insurance policy going, you will get a rebate on the insurance for the remaining period left in the policy (e.g. if you get insurance now and pay price based on a learner permit, then pass the test in 6 months then you will get a refund for the remaining 6 months between the cost for Full licence v's learner permit - minus the dreaded admin fee of course :-) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

DriveSkill wrote: »

If you are going to be a 'named driver' on a car. For example, if it is your parents car and you want to be insured on it then you can be added on a daily, weekly, monthly basis etc so much more flexible. Again admin fees usually apply so not cost effective to be adding/removing constantly for short periods but certainly possible to be added for 6 months. You also do not build up an NCB as such but some companies will get credit for being a 'named driver'.

As a guide it cost me € 35 to add my sister during my policy for 1 week. I ended up leaving her on it as it made more sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

If you are about to learn (and I am in no way affiliated) Hibernian's 11-lesson package is a great deal. I got 11 lessons for €330, 6 months free named driver insurance, and just got a huge lump off my policy for my own car.

Definately worth it long term if you just getting the insurance to learn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭ak51535

oh right, yeah I didn't think there was...rang AXA today and confirmed it lol...yeah thanks for the replies guys, great help!

Efla - thanks, unfortunetly the 6 month named driver insurance won't be of any benefit to me, my dad wont leave me within 10 meters of the car haha

Thanks again
    Ak

• Advertisement
Advertisement