Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to find an apartment to share in Sydney?

Options
  • 18-03-2010 2:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I hope everyone's head is okay after yesterday ;)

I'm staying in a hostel at the moment on Elizabeth Street, and while I'll probably stay here for another week or two at least, I'm just gonna keep an eye on the apartment situation also. Sleep isn't easy to come by in a dorm unfortunately :( I can't imagine staying there once I get a job !

Anyways I'll be looking for either a double room and a single, or else two doubles (will probably be looking to share with my mate and his girlfriend).

Just wondering what's the best way to find a place? And what's a reasonable price to pay for somethin in the city?

Do most people use Gumtree, yeah?

I'm havin a look on there and there seems to be decent places in the likes of Bondi for less than $200 p/w, is that right? I suppose I don't know what a good price is ! Are there alot of scams on it too?

Cheers gents ;)

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Gumtree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

I've used Gumtree a few times and never had any hassle.

www.Domain.com.au is good for finding your own place and www.fltesmates.com.au isin't bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I have a cousin in sydney, long story but he might rent muta room or two , if you want me to look into it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hey guys,

The latest is that we're hoping to rent an apartment for ourselves, so a 2 bedroom jobbie

We're looking for rent to be about 500 max

The lease we'd be hoping for would be 4 months

And we'd be hoping for something furnished !

I'm looking on realestate.com.au, and there's a few decent places in the likes of Surry Hills and Darlinghurst, but it doesn't say whether they're furnished or not ! The pictures show furniture but don't mention it in the ad. Seems like a pain to have to ring up all the different estate agents and asking them, so do ye think we'd be better off going into an agent and telling them what we're after and see what they come up with?

Also, places have 'open for inspection' times -- does this mean we can just walk up and have a look, or do we have to make an appointment?

Cheeeers !

No rental agent will agree to a four month lease unless you are willing to pay a serious premium. The changeover costs are too high and the market is too good for them to consider it. Assume units are unfurnished unless otherwise advised. The default in Australia is unfurnished.

• Advertisement

Sh*t, what about 6 months? Any other options?

6 months may be possible. I think my first lease was 9 months but the lessor was financially distressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I agree, you will be pushed to go through an agency with that deal.
    and usually apartments come unfurnished too.

Try the paper rather than an agency, or look around ads in various areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

You could always take on the lease for 12 or 6 months and then find someone to replace you once you need to go.

All that happens if we break the lease is we lose the bond, right?

The bond in most of the places I'm looking at is about $2,000 -- so about $700 each.

I'd rather have it back, but it's not exactly the end of the world if I lose it !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 happo

There is a apartment building in Pyrmont called The Palladium on Miller St. They do 3 month rentals on furnished apartments(last I checked anyway). They are expensive mind. $700 or more for a two bed.

Look up the location on whereis.com and go to the building and speak with the building manager. They will tell if a place is available.

Hope that helps.

Dave! wrote: »

The bond in most of the places I'm looking at is about $2,000 -- so about $700 each.

I'd rather have it back, but it's not exactly the end of the world if I lose it !
    $2000 over three months is $153 per week. If you're willing to spend that much extra ($653 per week total) to get the three month lease then Palladium may be for you. It's a pretty high demand place though. Give them a call and see what they have available.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Or he could just avoid an agency and go direct with a landlord. Plenty of these on gumtree, i'm here over a year and haven't dealt with an agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Dave! wrote: »

as mellor said go direct to landlord, try gumtree (I know it is annoying) but prob easier in long run

Advertisement