Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to go to germany this summer

Options
  • 18-03-2010 2:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭

....for a few weeks. I want to go somewhere with good nightlife, but where i can meet people and speak german as well. Is berlin the best option? Should i just stay in a hostel and how would i meet other young people as it looks like ill be gong alone!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I wouldn't just stick to Berlin. You could look to any number of places, such as Freiburg, Hamburg, Nuremberg, Bremen, and so on. One of the best ways to meet young people and practice your German is to arrange a Tandem Partnership. There are many websites in Germany that facilitate this, and, in addition, many universities offer Sprachduo facilities. The norm is that you arrange to meet someone for a beer or coffee and you help them with English in exchange for them helping you with German. This website would also be a good place for you to get more advice on living in specific parts of Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭wireless101

cheers for the link, great site. :) It seems to be a better resource for people actually in germany though, and not those planning a trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Link doesn't seem to be working anymore.

Anyone know how to arrange an exchange for 16/17 yr olds? The school doesn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

The website is

www.toytowngermany.com

For exhange google popped up this site:

http://www.euexchange.org/English/6weeks2.htm

You could also get in contact with the Goethe Institute and ask if they could recommend any organisations that could facilitate one. They have an exchange page on their site, but at a quick glance it looks like it is aimed at schools and larger groups. Worth a try though:

http://www.goethe.de/ins/ie/dub/lhr/schulaustausch/enindex.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 22 midnightdream

I would recommend Cologne. Its only 4h with the ICE Train from Berlin. Not only is it a lovely City with lots of sights and good restaurants but also great Night Life and the surrounding area ist amazing.
    You should consider it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 MovingOut

Silly question but why do you want to go to Germany for a few weeks?
    When abouts? Anything in particular you want to see or do?
    How good is your German?
    If you really want to practice German get the heck out of any youth hostel at any cost.
    how old are you? What are you doing at the moment?
    ie could you look for a job from here over there for the few weeks?
    mad idea but people have done it.

Advertisement