Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degree by day and then by night

Options
  • 18-03-2010 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I have a real (crazy) question and I would like opinions, better again if someone can speak from experience.........has anybody undertaken two degrees at the same time, i.e. Uni by day and another degree or diploma by night. I want to get a degree in languages (this is supposed to be the easy one because I already speak and write spanish very well and I am learning German at the moment). Then by night I would be able to study in another area that interests me. I have worked so hard at languages that I would like to have a qualification to actually show this, well, any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

To be honest, it doesn't sound feasible to me. You'll need time in the evening to study your lecture notes for your daytime degree, as well as do essays, projects, etc.

I suppose it depends on the courses but my initial reaction would be "no way!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Could you maybe do it the other way round? ie, the night time option in languages and the day time option in the new subject? Since most night time degrees are run part time, you'd have less of a woakload compared to the full time day degree, and may be able to allocate time better for studying things you were unfamiliar with?
    I did something similar in that I worked full time and did two grad dips simultaneously for a year (starting one and finishing the other) and it was TOUGH, time management was really important and I was never as tired as I was that year. It was do-able though, but whether it'd be do-able over 3-4 years may be another thing entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Don't forget that classes themselves are not the end of it for a degree program.

There will also be assignments, projects and probably exams. In the college I work in, we give a guideline of for every 2 hours in class, you will need to do 1 hour outside the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I'll do you one better; here's a guy who achieved a double major in 3 semesters. Two courses at the same time can be done - it depends on your dedication and time management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Would it not be better to put all your efforts into one of the degrees and get a First Class honours?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Totally depends on how good you afre at studying. I would have thought no bother before I went back but its tougher than you think.

Would you be happy with 2 pass degrees?
    And would languages not be something which is pretty practical, as in you can illustrate your ability, why do you need a degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Have thought about doing this myself... different situation but a big worry for me was what if the exams clash??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Have you ever considered doing a business and language degree. It's a very popular combination. Bear in mind that a language degree can be demanding at times, so studying day and night for 2 degrees might be a headwreck. I study French and Spanish, and it can be tough going at times. Literature plays a good part of it, also Cultural/Area Studies and Linguistics is an area that you look at as well.

Since you said you can write and speak Spanish maybe you should focus on that. Language study is very much at depth, so anything you have now only has to be improved. However if you like language learning why not learn a new language.

Maybe Arts in UCD is a route you should try (3 subjects taken in 1st yr, 2 subjects after this), or if you're sure about studying just 2 languages maybe Trinity's your answer. Although there are plenty more universities to look at for different programs.

Advertisement