Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Waffle

Options
  • 18-03-2010 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Any one know what the story is with Mr Waffle - went to head in there a couple of Sundays ago and it was closed with a few vans outside doing some work on it - it was either getting a bit of work done on it or closing and someone else was going in there.

Drove by it quickly yesterday to check if it was still there and there is another place there now but there was a poster on the window to say Mr Waffle was going to open in another part of Galway.

So anyone know where and when it will reopen ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

I'm chewing my nails waiting to find out.... The most unbelievable breakfast crepes there....

*Drool

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

fend wrote: »
    I'm chewing my nails waiting to find out.... The most unbelievable breakfast crepes there....

*Drool

<rant>
    Wouldn't bother me if it never reopened. Typical Galway coffee shop in the same boat as Arabica and Mocha Beans. Bland food, disinterested staff, and the signature characteristic - serve your coffee and wait till it's either gone or gone cold before bringing your food.
    </rant>

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

forumfiend wrote: »
    <rant>
    Wouldn't bother me if it never reopened. Typical Galway coffee shop in the same boat as Arabica and Mocha Beans. Bland food, disinterested staff, and the signature characteristic - serve your coffee and wait till it's either gone or gone cold before bringing your food.
    </rant>

bringing the Tea and coffe down before the food is a bit stupid all right - but the food is decent enough - makes a change from having a fry and a breakfast roll everywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Think it may be opening with an Italian cafe menu if the poster on the wall in Arabica is related to this

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

forumfiend wrote: »
    in the same boat as Arabica and Mocha Beans.

I have no proof, but:

That shop used to be an Arabica. Then it turned into Mr Waffle. Now Mr Waffle's gone (to be re-appearing elsewhere), and it's turned into an Italian theme coffee shop.

Makes me think it's a company-run (ie not franchised) Arabica site, that that used to test-run new brands.

It's a good thing for them to be doing. But does mean that you get to be a guinea pig ... and that there's company management running it, instead of a self-employed business person with a keen interest in making 100% sure the customers are happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭xdeletiax

the ppl who ran mr waffle are reopening under a different brand (some italian thing) to see if they can increase revenue. theres a poster on the window saying that mr waffle will be returning in a different location, but im not sure if thats true. not too surprised that theyr not making money- theyr nothing special and its a ****ty location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

enough italians already, my boy needs mr waffle back:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

No contracts have been signed as yet but it is likely that Mr Waffle will be opening up again over in Newcastle in the round glass building across from the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

man, I liked mr. waffle.

I'd only been there like, twice. But it was the closest thing I could get to chez cora here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

That round building opposite the hospital looks really impressive, couldn't imagine it being a Mr Waffle though?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Waffles? Where?

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Waffles? Where?

'c

Nowhere, at the moment!

(You asked)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

That round building opposite the hospital looks really impressive, couldn't imagine it being a Mr Waffle though?!

There's a couple of premises there that might be suitable, it would have a fair bit of competition in that area but also would be closer to teh stewdents.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

So it looks like it's definitely going into Newcastle, judging by the facebook page....

http://www.facebook.com/misterwaffle

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GearMaven

Opened Dec. 3 opposite the hospital! In early days, hear they even ran out of waffles with the rush!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

A run on waffles! Only in Galway! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I'm not exactly familiar with that side of town. Is it near the Bagel factory/supermacs along the newcastle road then?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yeah, it's on the same building as the new tesco. Right beside the pharmacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Cool, thanks. Going to fill up on crepes before the drive to dublin tomorrow so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Caliden wrote: »
    Cool, thanks. Going to fill up on crepes before the drive to dublin tomorrow so :)
    let us know how you get on so!

they seemed to have a fairly loyal customer base when they were in middle street, some people were devastated when they closed!
    hopefully it goes well for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Waffles? Where?

'c
    people signing off their posts with retarded taglines couldn't irritate me more

ugh your name is right there on the left anyway ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

And they could just put it in their signature, that way it's easier to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

DRakE wrote: »
    people signing off their posts with retarded taglines couldn't irritate me more

ugh your name is right there on the left anyway ffs
    rivalius13 wrote: »
    And they could just put it in their signature, that way it's easier to ignore.

You people are whats wrong with the internet. :D

Moar Wafflezzz!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

kodute wrote: »
    Moar Wafflezzz!

I think you'll find that that is what's wrong with the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

This one had better be run more professionally than the last one. I've never experienced worse service in Galway than I did in the old one in Middle St. I'd actually have refused to go in there to meet friends after the last time I was in it.

I haven't been yet but hopefully this one is better run...

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

I was in there today and thought it was pretty good. I didn't have a sweet one but a salsa quesadilla which will stand up to La salsa in taste if not size.
    Not cheap but if you live in Newcastle like me its great to have another cafe around the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

The mr.wafle on middle street was terrible,they bought in the crepe bases and pre bought the waffles.
    Hardly anything was prepared fresh there,went in to the coffee shop that replaced it and the service is stil as bad,4 moody girls behind the counter who took 10mins to bring my coffee to me with a handful of customers in the shop.
    I won`t even bother trying the "new mr.waffle" as I know they are at the same craic nothing freshly prepared.
    Rather give the fella on the St-Nic market a bit of business,he has decent crepes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

beagle001 wrote: »
    The mr.wafle on middle street was terrible,they bought in the crepe bases and pre bought the waffles.
    Hardly anything was prepared fresh there,went in to the coffee shop that replaced it and the service is stil as bad,4 moody girls behind the counter who took 10mins to bring my coffee to me with a handful of customers in the shop.
    I won`t even bother trying the "new mr.waffle" as I know they are at the same craic nothing freshly prepared.
    Rather give the fella on the St-Nic market a bit of business,he has decent crepes.

Bought-in waffles and crepes? That's very disappointing. Are you sure about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

100% sure on this,they buy them of palace foods and everything else comes in cooked and pre prepped as well.
    I have seen this happen,really put me off them.
    Found the crepes were just tasteless and expensive for a crepe.
    Waffles had a rubber taste from them and you can get better up in lidl,have not seen the prices but if they are anything like they were in town then forget about it the students won`t bother with the place.

• Advertisement

Bought-in waffles and crepes? That's very disappointing. Are you sure about this?

Ya...that guys done a course and knows exactly which product he has eaten

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement