Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Waffle

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Ya...that guys done a course and knows exactly which product he has eaten

Nope know the repp for palace foods and he told me as much,got a good idea anyhow how it operates.
    Plenty of experience in catering and I really was disappointed with the middle street operation,think I was not the only one as it eventually closed down.

How much for a latte out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

whats a latte, is that a coffee with milk?

Basically yepp,sprinkle a little chocolate dust and you get a cappucino

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

beagle001 wrote: »
    Nope know the repp for palace foods and he told me as much,got a good idea anyhow how it operates.
    Plenty of experience in catering and I really was disappointed with the middle street operation,think I was not the only one as it eventually closed down.
    not to sound smart beagle001 but how many times did you actually dine there?
    did you know this info before you dined there?
    or was it after?

that's very dissappointing if it's true.

Guy that sells the crepes at market is a sound fella and I agree that they are the best crepes in galway but when you work weekends therefore missing his trade hours, it's nice to have an alternative and somewhere with the option of sitting in

mmm...big mick!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I really was disappointed with the middle street operation,think I was not the only one as it eventually closed down.
    it must have been a somewhat viable business if they re-opened,
    rediculous over-heads in a small company can force a relatively successful place out of business.
    rent in their new premises would be a fraction of what they would have been paying in town I'd imagine

It's never nice to see a place close down, I wish them well

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

magentas wrote: »
    I wish them well

So do I but if it's the same people who ran the one in Middle St. they would want to smarten up on the service. I was only there once and it was terrible. It always amazes me how people can do something as difficult as fund a new business, put together an innovative product or service, in a nice place with a good atmosphere, and then cock it up by not being able to organize something as simple as serving up a cup of tea and a sandwich, in sync, in a reasonable amount of time.

The place in middle st was a coffee shop that owned by same fella who opened mr.waffle,it was losing money and they thought waffle would boost it but unf went in too high on the price and product was not good.
    Same fella owns the bake house now,it's a case of he had a load of surplus equipment machines and is trying it near uni.
    I hope it works for them,I will take a look but if they are using the same crap bought in ingredients I won't sample it.
    To an earlier post ya I knew it was bought in but said I would give it a go as it was a new place.
    Never again went back and it was a ripp off then hope he learnt and is competing a bit now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Isn't the place on middle street like a test site for different business' from that one guy (who own arabica, mr.waffle, bake house)? Like nothing is ever going to be their permanently

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I always liked the middle street branch personally. The definitely did make their own crepes sometimes as I was watching them make one on the plate thingy one day. I agree the waffles were coming out of packets though.

I loved the Philly steak crepe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I'm not into waffles or crepes but I used to LOVE Mr Waffle's bacon sandwich, went there religiously every weekend for one, I didn't even notice the service tbh (though looking back it wasn't so great.. every time I went in there they seemed to have a different system) because I just wanted that amazing sandwich. Brought the parents there for lunch once as well and whatever they had (can't remember, but not waffles or crepes) was v good too. I was so upset when the Middle St branch closed! Haven't had a chance to make it to the new one though.. I'm afraid I'll make the trek out there and the sandwich won't be a feature any more..

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Just back from a late lunch there. Had a mexicano crepe - it was really nice with lots of filling. I couldn't see them making it so no idea if they whipped it up themselves or whipped it out of a packet. Still, it was tasty and the side "mexican salad" was a nice change from the usual "mixed leaves" business (ref: Arabica).
    How much for a latte out of interest?

A small latte is €2.70, a large is €3.00 (I took a copy of the menu with me ;) )
    I had a cappuccino - it was grand, similar to (if not the same as) Arabica coffee.

All in all, I would prefer if they had table service (not that I had to queue to give my order, but just my preference), but it's a change from Uni food if I don't have time to make my own lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Went on Monday morning about 11.
    Sat down and someone came to take our order.
    Got the chocolate special crepe with nutella and a grande coffee. (a large and grande americano are the same price - 2.50 iirc)

It was delicious! :D
    The other person got a waffle with nutella. The waffle was really nice and think I would get that next time.

Would definitely go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Caliden wrote: »
    Went on Monday morning about 11.
    Sat down and someone came to take our order.
    Got the chocolate special crepe with nutella and a grande coffee. (a large and grande americano are the same price - 2.50 iirc)

It was delicious! :D
    The other person got a waffle with nutella. The waffle was really nice and think I would get that next time.

Would definitely go back.

Someone took your order? When I was there, a girl was going over to tables asking people to order at the counter. Only 4 - 5 tables were occupied at that stage, so really she could have taken orders. She met a couple of people at the door with menus and gave instructions to order at the counter. :confused:

It meant as well that there was someone (who looked like a manager) wandering around with our food calling out the number on our receipt (like in Revive cafe). There's something about that approach that I really don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Had a look at the menu - place is a complete rip off... won't be touching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I was in Mr Waffle today. The service was a lot better than the previous Mr Waffle in Middle St but it was off peak so it wasn't too busy. I had something off the savoury menu. The food was fairly tasty but very pricey and the portion was far too small. The person I met for lunch had something off the sweet menu which was actually more filling than my savoury. I also thought the atmosphere was very antiseptic and the place was too dimly lit.

I think today was definitely a once off trial visit and I'd say it'll be the same for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 roscommmon1980

Visited a cousin in UHG last week, popped in to Mr.Waffle and I'd give it a 4 star review.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Glad you liked it.

Thread resurrected from 2010 closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement