Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motor tax, hearing mixed stories.

• 18-03-2010 10:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

Recently bought a car and i still have to tax the car.
    For all i could find this meant i have to go to the motortax office and get it done there since it is the first time i ll tax this car (or any car actually)

A couple of days someone told me however that the first time they had to tax their car they just called, received a pincode and went their merry way with it.

Also, if it ends up goign to the office, what forms do i need to download and fill in. I like to have that sorted in order to spent as little time as possible there.
    I checked motortax.ie but couldnt really sort out what form would apply to me in this case.
    Car is bought from a dealer with no tax left when i bought it.
    I do have the nct cert, log book and insurance in my possesion.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

In order to tax the car online, the tax periods of the car must be contiguous, so no gaps. If the car was not taxed for a while, then you can either download the form on the motortax.ie site and freepost it to the head office in town or head into your local tax office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I presume the car has a large gap in tax. You need the form to declare it has been in someone elses ownership or that its been off the road. Can get them in the Garda Station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

If it is a new car, you get a pin code (if I recall it's the last few digits of the chassis number) that allows you to tax it for the first time without ever having to go to the tax office. If however, this is the first time you are taxing a used car with new details (i.e. new owner, new address, etc.) you have to go down to the tax office to do it. You need to fill out form RF100A and bring it down with your vehicle ownership certificate. They have no plans to allow you to do this part online in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

If it is a new car, you get a pin code (if I recall it's the last few digits of the chassis number) that allows you to tax it for the first time without ever having to go to the tax office. If however, this is the first time you are taxing the car with the new details (i.e. new owner, new address, etc.) you have to go down to the tax office to do it. You need to fill out form RF100A and bring it down with your vehicle ownership certificate. They have no plans to allow you to do this part online in the near future.

Or you can post in this form - I just did it and it worked fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Thank for the replies.

The car is 2nd hand and it does indeed have quite the gap as it comes to tax.

I guess i ll just drop by the motortax office tomorrow and get it sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

I had to do the same recently. The car hadn't been taxed for two and a half years.

download RF100A, fill it in and post it back with the VLC. You will have to pay arrears for the time since the change of ownership was made unless the car was off the road and you have a Garda stamp to confirm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

voxpop wrote: »
    Or you can post in this form - I just did it and it worked fine

Yep - you can do that -- though legally you aren't allowed to drive the car until the tax disc comes back (I know some people do and get away with it...that doesn't make it legal), and if you drop down to the tax office you get the disc immediately.

You don't need to worry about a big gap in tax if your ownership cert says that you only just bought it. When you fill in the form just say when it was last taxed, and put the rest under "previous owner", and then you only have to pay for the duration you owned the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

If it is a new car, you get a pin code (if I recall it's the last few digits of the chassis number) that allows you to tax it for the first time without ever having to go to the tax office. If however, this is the first time you are taxing a used car with new details (i.e. new owner, new address, etc.) you have to go down to the tax office to do it. You need to fill out form RF100A and bring it down with your vehicle ownership certificate. They have no plans to allow you to do this part online in the near future.

Or if you import a car and are taxing it for the first time its the last 6 digits of your VIN/chassis number.

I taxed my car on Saturday (online) and I wonder if I will manage to get the disc today (still going around with the UK disc)

Yep - you can do that -- though legally you aren't allowed to drive the car until the tax disc comes back (I know some people do and get away with it...that doesn't make it legal), and if you drop down to the tax office you get the disc immediately.

You don't need to worry about a big gap in tax if your ownership cert says that you only just bought it. When you fill in the form just say when it was last taxed, and put the rest under "previous owner", and then you only have to pay for the duration you owned the car.

I want that disc asap.
    Already got stopped once, 2 days after i bought the car, and had no tax/insurance disc to show for.
    After telling the gard that i only bought it 2 days earlier i got away with a "Oh, okay.. move along then"
    Dont think i get off that lightly again after 5 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

after picking up my car, I drover through a checkpoint, I didn't even have as much as a holder for the disks in the window.

It was insured alright but hadn't been taxed in over two years and no NCT.

The guard looked across the windscreen and just beckoned me on !! obviously using the excuse of a checkpoint to find someone in particular !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

inforfun wrote: »
    I want that disc asap.
    Already got stopped once, 2 days after i bought the car, and had no tax/insurance disc to show for.
    After telling the gard that i only bought it 2 days earlier i got away with a "Oh, okay.. move along then"
    Dont think i get off that lightly again after 5 weeks.

Have you been driving for 5 weeks untaxed :eek: If you are stopped again be prepared to have your car impounded.

DonJose2 wrote: »
    Have you been driving for 5 weeks untaxed :eek: If you are stopped again be prepared to have your car impounded.

Took almost 3 weeks to get the reg in the mail.
    Not an excuse they fall for but i guess i could only have it sorted in the last 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 rmcc1978

Take the completed RF100a and the logbook to your local tax office, they'll update the ownership details online (they keep the logbook) and they can issue you with a tax disc there and then. You only pay from the month you bought the car.

It worked this way for me with a three month gap in tax. They didn't ask for any declaration of the car being off the road and the dealer I bought the car from signed the previous owners name on the change of ownership section on the logbook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

whippet wrote: »
    after picking up my car, I drover through a checkpoint, I didn't even have as much as a holder for the disks in the window.

It was insured alright but hadn't been taxed in over two years and no NCT.

The guard looked across the windscreen and just beckoned me on !! obviously using the excuse of a checkpoint to find someone in particular !

Happened to me in a loan car once while mine was in the garage. No tax or insurance disc (temp sub done with ins co, so car was covered), only a nearly expired NCT. Guard looked at it and let me through. I was coming home from work so was in suit & tie, and the loan was a rep mobile (mondeo), so he could have assumed it was a fleet car.

Anyway, OP, anytime i've bought a used car I've kept the receipt in the glovebox until the new log book arrives. If it was a private sale, I've always gone with the seller to the post box to make sure. If your insurance company can't provide you with the disc within 2-3 days, I'm sure they could send you an email you could print off to confirm cover. I was stopped once just after buying the car, and guard was understanding once he had seen all the docs. He still wanted me to go to the garda station once I'd gotten everything sorted though. Once I received the new log book, I'd go to the tax office within 2-3 days. If you've had it a few weeks though and still haven't sorted any tax, a garda might not be so understanding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

rmcc1978 wrote: »
    Take the completed RF100a and the logbook to your local tax office, they'll update the ownership details online (they keep the logbook) and they can issue you with a tax disc there and then. You only pay from the month you bought the car.

It worked this way for me with a three month gap in tax. They didn't ask for any declaration of the car being off the road and the dealer I bought the car from signed the previous owners name on the change of ownership section on the logbook.

Wish i had just gone down the road to get mine its taking so long for them to post it out!!

Advertisement