Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Fitzpatrick Arrested

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Lux23 wrote: »
    I would say if they have anything on him they will make an example of him. The government, police and FR are too wary of public opinion to let him get away with it.

Not a chance in hell. People like Fitzpatrick get jailed in other countries. In Ireland they get slapped on the back. That's the status quo, that's what Fianna Fail and the people who vote for them stand for, that's not gonna change overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

cornbb wrote: »
    Not a chance in hell. People like Fitzpatrick get jailed in other countries. In Ireland they get slapped on the back. That's the status quo, that's what Fianna Fail and the people who vote for them stand for, that's not gonna change overnight.

I don't think so. If he has actually done something illegal they will charge him, convicting him of anything may be very difficult. Think about it, in the past they wouldn't even have been brought in for questioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

cornbb wrote: »

I hope not, i had a chuckle when i heard he got arrested, he and many others deserve to serve serious time with the fattest filthiest rock spider in the irish correctional system, but sadly you might be right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭anto2

>>What did he do to be arrested ?

Mainly for being an ugly **** and giving himself a loan of 80 million euro . He also fiddled the books of Anglo Irish .Is that enough ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

anto2 wrote: »
    >>What did he do to be arrested ?
    ...giving himself a loan of 80 million euro. He also fiddled the books of Anglo Irish. Is that enough?

Aye.
    To repeat something I posted in the politics section on this subject - "He was moving very large sums of money from one bank account to another and back again on a regular basis to help inflate account figures and misrepresent yearly reports, etc, according to accounts of those far better than I to say such things - something like Nick Leeson was doing at one stage to cover his mistakes.
    If this is the case, and I know Sean was/is a clever, crafty man by all accounts, is this somewhere not a case of fraud?
    It will all boil down to legalities and arguments over exact words as defined in law."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Elenxor

I'd pay money to get a seat at that trial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

McTigs wrote: »
    I dunno, Lenihan appears to be pretty pissed off with him.

Important word in bold.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Important word in bold.
    This is true.
    Politics is all about what the public sees or perceives.

We still don't know the remainder for example, of the "Golden Circle" - and FF and the Greens are refusing to tell us still!
    There are many intertwines between some government ministers and the banks its suspected.
    Giving the perception then that FF and co are doing all they can to be seen doing the "right thing" don't necessarily mean they actually are.

I might be wrong in thinking that but this government has done so many twists, turns and lies, I can't help being suspicious at their every move now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Elenxor wrote: »

Ah good to see he may come in useful yet to stimulate the economy then :D

Elenxor wrote: »

I would pay E1,000 to see him being executed by firing squad .Maybe if enough people support the issue we could pay back Irelands debt .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Co45

Biggins wrote: »
    Aye.
    To repeat something I posted in the politics section on this subject - "He was moving very large sums of money from one bank account to another and back again on a regular basis to help inflate account figures and misrepresent yearly reports, etc, according to accounts of those far better than I to say such things - something like Nick Leeson was doing at one stage to cover his mistakes.
    If this is the case, and I know Sean was/is a clever, crafty man by all accounts, is this somewhere not a case of fraud?
    It will all boil down to legalities and arguments over exact words as defined in law."

It may not be ethical but its certainly not illegal to move funds from one back account to another. Can he really be charged for this? Whatever about his questionable intentions what he did is not illegal I would of thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maupat

About time he has been forcefully brought to account for his actions - he shouldn't get off Scot free. Just goes to show that white collar crime is prevalent in Ireland. Perhaps Séan Fitz's arrest is a sign of what is to come

Co45 wrote: »
    It may not be ethical but its certainly not illegal to move funds from one back account to another. Can he really be charged for this? Whatever about his questionable intentions what he did is not illegal I would of thought?
    Yes, its been said that while questionable were his actions - "illegal" is another question altogether.
    Guess it boils down to: were such actions tantamount to fraud/deceiving the public for gain(s) and can they be proven within the current defines of the law?

Time will tell.

>> Whatever about his questionable intentions what he did is not illegal I would of thought?

White collar crime seems to be invisable to some .Shake your head ,and see the reality .

Yes, its been said that while questionable were his actions - "illegal" is another question altogether.
    Guess it boils down to: were such actions tantamount to fraud/deceiving the public for gain(s) and can they be proven within the current defines of the law?

Time will tell.

Didn't he defraud the shareholders by pumping the balance sheet at year's end ?

Didn't he defraud the shareholders by pumping the balance sheet at year's end ?
    I would certainly agree. If that can be made a case of that will stick, is another legal question.
    And we can be damn sure, for person that is supposed to be unable to payback anything on loans, he will still have the best of the best legal team to get him off the proverbial hook! :(

I would certainly agree. If that can be made a case of that will stick, is another legal question.
    And we can be damn sure, for person that is supposed to be unable to payback anything on loans, he will still have the best of the best legal team to get him off the proverbial hook! :(

Well if he's convicted maybe CAB can treat him like the other gangsters and recoup what they can ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Co45

anto2 wrote: »
    >> Whatever about his questionable intentions what he did is not illegal I would of thought?

White collar crime seems to be invisable to some .Shake your head ,and see the reality .

I am looking at this purely from a legal point of view. What he did was morally wrong of that I have no doubt but is there any legislation that he broke? I am genuinely wondering if there is anything under the Theft and Fraud Offences Act that he fell foul of (not bothered reading it myself) Maybe theres a provision in there, maybe not.

Co45 wrote: »
    I am looking at this purely from a legal point of view. What he did was morally wrong of that I have no doubt but is there any legislation that he broke? I am genuinely wondering if there is anything under the Theft and Fraud Offences Act that he fell foul of (not bothered reading it myself) Maybe theres a provision in there, maybe not.
    ei.sdraob suggested in the politics section that the are part of the following he can be "got" on.

http://www.accountingnet.ie/law_regulation/1Complying_with_Company_Law_When_Giving_Loans_to_Directors_Connected_persons.php

I, myself don't know but I can hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

According to RTE his period of detention has been extended by 6 hours.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2010/0318/anglo.html
    "...allegations of false accounting under the Theft and Fraud Offences Act."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dragonbet

Does anyone know where you can watch the interview Seanie Fitz done a few years ago. It might have been on Prime Time or something, cant find it on youtube..!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Please God, let him have no TV Licence, they might let him away with everything else but they will hang you in this country for no TV Licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

WEll anglo are going to bring him to court for 90 million in loans,that,ll be worse than going to jail for 6months.ARE we to believe the board of anglo ,knew nothing about ,the share support scheme,or the transfer of the loans off the books be4 the end of the accounting year.
    IF there was fraud committed there must have been at least 5 people involved.
    THIS shows the whole accounting /bank regulation system needs to be revised.
    AN american company used british auditors to hide billions worth of debts,which meant their accounts showed them to be financially stable be4 they went bankrupt.
    Because the government foolishly gauranteed anglo its the irish taxpayer whos
    stuck with at least 20billion in debt.
    IN a proper economy anglo should have been left to go into administration.
    IF people knew how much loans were going out to anglo staff to buy shares or whatever , the share price would have decreased ,ie the problem would have fixed itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,164 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

home from England and just heard the news all i say ABOUT FOOKING TIME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

People should leave the man alone.

He built a tiny bank into a big bank and like a lot of people in Ireland ,got caught up in the property boom.

People are looking for someone to blame for the mess the economy is in and he is a scapegoat.

He didnt force you to spend 300k on a tiny flat in darndale/westmeath, didnt force you to train as a carpenter/plumber, didnt tell you to borrow loads on a credit card, had nothing to do with any of it. If people were not at that craic , developers wouldnt have wanted any money and his bank wouldnt have lent as there would have been no buyers..

An alternative view.

He built a tiny bank into a big bank and like a lot of people in Ireland ,got caught up in the property boom.

People are looking for someone to blame for the mess the economy is in and he is a scapegoat.

He didnt force you to spend 300k on a tiny flat in darndale/westmeath, didnt force you to train as a carpenter/plumber, didnt tell you to borrow loads on a credit card, had nothing to do with any of it. If people were not at that craic , developers wouldnt have wanted any money and his bank wouldnt have lent as there would have been no buyers..

An alternative view.

No.
    He instead created so big a hole in his bank that millions now have to be poured into it alone that could have gone on other silly things like hospitals, roads, housing, etc...
    O' and the rest of us tax payers are paying for it - if we bought a house or not, ran our own credit up or not... etc bla, bla...!!!

Another alternative view!

The man gets the blame for everything.

Everyone who participated in the property craze holds some responsibility for the mess the banks are in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Harney must be back from Oz!

Wounder what this is diverting media attention from! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

An alternative view.

You left out the loans, the 'Golden circle' and the overinvestment in the property sector thats created a hole Billions big.

• Advertisement

speculation

Advertisement