Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby under 2 with bad cough

Options
  • 18-03-2010 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi, our daughter is 20mths and for the last 3-4 weeks hasnt been sleeping much at nights because of a cough. She only coughs when she is sleeping and it eventually wakes her up. During the day there is no cough.

Since she is under 2 there is nothing really that she can take, we give her the Honey/Lemon but we know that wont stop the cough just eases the throat, we also have a dehumidifier in the room which does help but she still wakes up every couple of hours coughing

We have been told we just have to let it run its course etc, but its now nearly 4weeks and no signs of improving, but just wondering anybody had this before and any tips/advice to help get rid of this.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

A dehumidifier removes moisture from the air which may not be helping at all. If she's only coughing at night when she's in the room and not coughing during the day when she's out of the room it may suggest that there's something in the room is causing the problem [dehumidifier] or possibly due to the fact she's lying down.

Why do you think there's nothing she can take as she's under 2? Have you had the child seen by a doctor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

What did the Doctor say?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭UnitedRoad

Mayoegian wrote: »
    I don't think you are supposed to be looking for medical advice here, or in any other forum.

The advice I would give you would be to go to your GP, and tell him/her about this. Don't worry!

Cheers I know what you are saying, we brought her to the GP early on and she said nothing we can give her as she is under 2 and have to let its run its course etc but 4wks later its still not clear

just incase anybody had any other advice - non-medical of course :) a friend told us about the dehumdifier which has helped and incase anybody had other similar advice from past experiences

Cheers for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭UnitedRoad

A dehumidifier removes moisture from the air which may not be helping at all. If she's only coughing at night when she's in the room and not coughing during the day when she's out of the room it may suggest that there's something in the room is causing the problem [dehumidifier] or possibly due to the fact she's lying down.

Why do you think there's nothing she can take as she's under 2? Have you had the child seen by a doctor?

The doctor told us any cough medicine etc was for 2+ so there was nothing that could be prescribed etc

she has moved into a new bedroom which we thought might be the problem, but she has slept in my parents house recently and she coughed then also

We tried without the dehumidifier and within 15-20mins she would be coughing and with it on she gets maybe 3-4 hrs sleep before coughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I'd bring her back to the doctor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I suggest you take the child back to the dr.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement