Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alex Chilton RIP

Options
  • 18-03-2010 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭

Reports filtering in of Alex Chilton passing away aged 59. :(

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2010/03/17/big-star-singer-and-cult-icon-alex-chilton-dead-at-59/

I saw Big Star in the Red Box years ago. At the time, I remember reading that some people weren't impressed, but I really enjoyed it, and I'm certainly glad I got the opportunity to see them. So many killer songs.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

The first three Big Star albums RULED

Seriously he did well to reach 59 in fairness.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Awww.
    Sorry to hear that. Loved Big Star.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I saw Big Star in the Red Box years ago. At the time, I remember reading that some people weren't impressed, but I really enjoyed it, and I'm certainly glad I got the opportunity to see them. So many killer songs.

I was at that concert. Chilton was a difficult bugger. He loved his rockabilly. I thought it was remarkable how Ken Stringfellow and Jon Auer were belting out the Big Star hits whereas Alex was more keen to play stuff like T-Rex's "Baby Strange" and his dreadful rockabilly. I loved the first two Big Star albums but was not a fan of "Sister Lovers" (I want power pop. Not a hard slog) nor "In Space" because of the appalling Chilton numbers e.g. Love Revolution is embarrassing, nor was I a fan of his solo stuff. I'll always remember him first and foremost for "The Ballad Of El Goodo", one of the best songs I ever heard...

Advertisement