Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance stats

• 18-03-2010 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭

We all know that young males are charged more for insurance because they are statistically more likely to crash but has anyone ever seen these statistics? Going by road fatalities so far this year it seems to be a wide range of people involved in collisions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

k_mac wrote: »
    We all know that young males are charged more for insurance because they are statistically more likely to crash but has anyone ever seen these statistics? Going by road fatalities so far this year it seems to be a wide range of people involved in collisions.

from RSA website
    Some of the key provisional statistics for 2009 include;

40% of road deaths were under 25 years of age

Also, I think accidents/crashes involving younger drivers and/or males tend to be more severe than women drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

But surely thats not enough for the drastic differences. My brother tried to get insured on a 2 litre when he was 22 and was told that he is statistically guaranteed to crash the car. Id love to see some detailed stats.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

But surely thats not enough for the drastic differences. My brother tried to get insured on a 2 litre when he was 22 and was told that he is statistically guaranteed to crash the car. Id love to see some detailed stats.

What utter rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

lol that's insane insurance companies are the devil himself when you're younger or male, afaik men are not in more crashes we just have a tendency of doing something stupid when we are such as traveling really fast into a wall or trying to drive with your feet reversed (don't try it). But basically my point is that younger male drivers cause allot more monetary damage if they do crash - but to say someone will definitly crash is crazy talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I wrote a car off when I was 19, and most of my friends did at least one each. I remember reading somewhere that the part of a man's brain that deals with risk assessment only develops around the age of 25. I'd assume that if there was an opportunity to charge young males less for insurance and still turn a profit then the ins cos would have taken it - they are, after all, here to make money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

40% of road deaths were under 25 years of age

So, that's just deaths, and does not relate in any way to who caused the accident in the first place.

Imbedded in those stats are the like of a 35 years old man/woman with their 3 young kids in the car. If they crash and are all killed those kids are in the above stat but obviously did not cause the crash.

Advertisement