Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gumtree ad

• 18-03-2010 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭

Mods please move if you feel the need.

Hilarious attempt to dupe someone into buying a €2000 laptop for €300, here is a transcript as they have pulled their ad from gumtree ( http://cork.gumtree.ie/cork/53/55653253.html ) , but they have posted another using a different address here but for a different laptop ( http://cork.gumtree.ie/cork/14/55646814.html ) which is also now pulled.

I am going to string them along for a while and see how much fun we can have, anyone got ideas for me?

Also using Mtsy Nik niktrsyu@hotmail.com for the second scam

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

stuart denis:

The final price is €300.
    The product is new, never used, and come with 1 year international warranty.After you get it you have 5 days to test it.Now i am in London, because I travel a lot with my work.This is why I will ship to you and I will pay all taxes.
    If you are ready to buy it send me your full name, shipping address and phone number so I can arrange shipping.

Thanks,

Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 07:11:40 +0000
    To: classic_brown@live.com
    Subject: Reply to your ad: ASUS G73JH x1 i7 720QM

Hi there brown, you have received a reply to your Gumtree posting "ASUS G73JH x1 i7 720QM" (ad# 55653253) from *@gmail.com

Here's your message:
    €300? I'll take it!

=========================

Me: I send you the money when I decide to keep it right?

=========================

stuart denis:

I use a 3rd party company they will protect the both sides(buyer and seller),
    I will put the item in their custody,they will send you the confirmation that the package is on the way to you.After that they will request you the money to be sent on the name of agent of them.When you will receive the invoice from them you must to complete the payment to them,and they will keep the money in a safe deposit until you will receive and test the item.

Let me know if is ok for you because i have alot of customers.

Thank you

==============================

Me: Good luck with the scam but your gumtree ads are now dead in the water and your e-mail address reported, bye

(After the ad was removed immediately from Gumtree )

Me: That was quick, have they come to kick the door in to arrest you too?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Which ad are you talking about, can you narrow it down for an old Aussie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

He'd have asked for payment by WU. Should have just kept giving him random MTCN numbers so he wasted his time going down to the shop for them. Ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

He'd have asked for payment by WU. Should have just kept giving him random MTCN numbers so he wasted his time going down to the shop for them. Ah well.

I still have to hooked via the second ad using a different address :D

Sorry they pulled their ads when they got a reply so cna't show you the original ad but the links are to the ones that were up.

Will be enjoying this one, yeah they asked for payment by WU, is the MTCN a 10 digit number? Can you help by telling me how Irish ones start as I understand that they are country specific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Hey,

Just send a random 10 digit number, they're not country specific numbers. Obviously give all fake info for yourself and yeah see what happens.

When they say they went and couldn't collect then change one digit.

The only thing that might spoil it is that you can check online for transfers so if they know that then they mightn't get as far as leaving to go to a shop but still, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Just "deposited" €200 in the name Uhu Luser with a fake MTCN. Let the games commence. :D

• Advertisement

Just busted him ROFL

Here is the transcript of the latest round. :D

Subject: RE: Reply to your ad: Toshiba Satellite P505-S8980 18.4" BluRay 500GB 6GB RAM

Date: 18 March 2010 11:08
    To: *@gmail.com

HI,
    The final price is 200£.
    The item is new(i've open to see only what is in the box),and come with 1 year international warranty.After you receive it you have 5 days to test it.Now i am in London because i travel alot with my work.This is the reason i will ship to you and i will pay all taxes.
    If you are ready to buy it send me your full name,shipping address and phone number so i can arrange the shipping.
    Thank you

Date: 18 March 2010 11:11
    To: Mtsy Nik <niktrsyu@hotmail.com>

I really need this laptop quickly how do I pay for it?

Date: 18 March 2010 11:15

Hello
    Look we can do the deal in a safe way !
    First of all I want to be sure that you have the money to buy my product and I want to ask you to deposit the money Via Western Union on any name in UK.
    You can use your father name ,mother name etc.After the money will be send please send me the scaned paper fron Western Union
    so i can ckeck the transfer status.After i will see that the money is them.I will send you the item.To do that I need you full name and address.
    After you have the product in your hands just change the name* of the with my name.
    So i can pick up the money.
    Thank you

Date: 18 March 2010 11:42

How do I do Western Union, I have never heard of them before?* Why are you selling?

Date: 18 March 2010 18:27

Ok I have asked my friend and they say this is a great laptop, can you send me details so that I can buy this form you, I really need it and so don't want to wait.

Date: 18 March 2010 19:49

Hello
    Now you need to go at WesternUnion and make a transfer from your name to your mother or father name or any name that you want but send in London so I can check the transfer. Please let me know.
    Thanks,

Date: 19 March 2010 12:49

hello
    have you sent the deposit?
    Please let me know
    THANKS

Date: 19 March 2010 13:23

Yes I have placed €200 in the name of Uhu Luser with the MTCN 2536958759

Date: 19 March 2010 13:39

Please send me the scaned paper because I've just called WesternUnion and they've told me that there is no money available.

Date: 19 March 2010 13:45

Sorry i made a mistake with the MTCN it should be 2536968759

Date: 19 March 2010 14:01

I think that you are joking with me. Please send me the scaned paper to see that the transfer has been made.

thanks,

Date: 19 March 2010 15:39

I tell you what, you send me a photo of yourself with today's Evening Standard, yourself and the "laptop" and I'll get you your money.

You have been PUNKED!!!!** LOLOLOLOL

FUnK OFF YOU SCAMMING FUnK AND STOP THIS ****, I BUSTED YOU YESTERDAY SO PLEASE STOP OR I'LL HAVE THE LADS FROM INTERPOL CALL ROUND

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Riigggght....

Advertisement