Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well done Limerick (for once!!)

Options
  • 18-03-2010 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

I think we have a new runner for the President of Limerick (or whatever ya call it) who's the one and only bright spark in city hall who decided to put a canopy over the milk market? We need to shake this mans hand as we now actually have an amenitie that can be used all year round (Rain, Sleet or Cold Snap!!)!!:D

Looking forward to some of those german sausage-rolls with ketchup and mustard under the canopy in the rain!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Makes sense to me!!!

Also why is Limerick the only civilised Society on the Planet that has Bus Stops without a Bus Shelter?????????

- It rains so much in this Country, obviously the Planners have never gotten a Bus, anywhere, ever.

W@nkers

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Raiser wrote: »
    Makes sense to me!!!

Also why is Limerick the only civilised Society on the Planet that has Bus Stops without a Bus Shelter?????????

- It rains so much in this Country, obviously the Planners have never gotten a bus - ever.

Bus shelters don't last long. Simple as that. The one across from Punches has it's glass broken almost as fast as they can fix it, and plenty of the other bus shelters get the same treatment.

Weirdly enough the one just up from the Punches one survives pretty well. Am putting that down to the side of the road it is at, as the left hand side of O'Connell Avenue as you walk out from down is pretty bad for car mirrors etc being broken off, and that trend continues out as far as the Crescent Shopping centre, but the right hand side the whole way out does not get it as bad.

The cover over the Milk Market is a good idea. A common sense good idea at that. With luck it will see more business return to the Milk Market and some of the empty units getting filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Don't you have to pay to enter the "NEW" Milk Market?

If so, feck off. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Berty wrote: »

:rolleyes:

Where did you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Where did you hear that?

Im still unsure about this. I heard this from a stall owner(chinese whispers) but the likely hood is that the entrace fee is actually to use the space for your stall but he was ADAMANT that people would be charged(public) to enter the area.

• Advertisement

Im still unsure about this. I heard this from a stall owner(chinese whispers) but the likely hood is that the entrace fee is actually to use the space for your stall but he was ADAMANT that people would be charged(public) to enter the area.

Well it is possible there is some truth in this- There's very few good ideas that can't be ultimately ruined by our Local Authorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Kess73 wrote: »
    Bus shelters don't last long. Simple as that. The one across from Punches has it's glass broken almost as fast as they can fix it, and plenty of the other bus shelters get the same treatment.

Weirdly enough the one just up from the Punches one survives pretty well. Am putting that down to the side of the road it is at, as the left hand side of O'Connell Avenue as you walk out from down is pretty bad for car mirrors etc being broken off, and that trend continues out as far as the Crescent Shopping centre, but the right hand side the whole way out does not get it as bad.

The cover over the Milk Market is a good idea. A common sense good idea at that. With luck it will see more business return to the Milk Market and some of the empty units getting filled.

Surely they dont need to have glass in them.....cant they build them from blocks? im sure we could find one or two unemployed blocklayers around the place....

Surely they dont need to have glass in them.....cant they build them from blocks? im sure we could find one or two unemployed blocklayers around the place....

Blocks, Stainless steel, whatever it takes - also a Police Presence with the occasional prosecution helps enormously in these situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

Bus shelters are usually installed and maintained by the advertising companies who advertise on them. If they cannot make money from the advertising, then they will not place a shelter at the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

db wrote: »
    Bus shelters are usually installed and maintained by the advertising companies who advertise on them. If they cannot make money from the advertising, then they will not place a shelter at the location.

This is 100% fact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

Stab*City wrote: »
    Looking forward to some of those german sausage-rolls with ketchup and mustard under the canopy in the rain!!
    20th Feb.
    IMGP1211.JPG
    17th March
    IMGP1250.JPG
    18th March
    IMGP1259.JPG

Have to say it does look very well. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Seeing th Green Acres sign at the 2nd picture: What is that Mari woman going to do now as she has made submissions to An Bord Pleanala regarding the canopy?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

That would be nothing short of a joke if true and anti trade too I would imagine. What sort of nonsense would it be to charge someone to go shopping?
    The development looks nice and the market is one of the few good things Limerick has going for it.

Aidric wrote: »
    That would be nothing short of a joke if true and anti trade too I would imagine. What sort of nonsense would it be to charge someone to go shopping?
    The development looks nice and the market is one of the few good things Limerick has going for it.

Parking Discs.

Park Magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Parking Discs.

Park Magic.
    I assumed he was referring to a cover charge to enter the forecourt of the market itself.

Aidric wrote: »
    I assumed he was referring to a cover charge to enter the forecourt of the market itself.

Of course.

- I just meant re. the madness of charging someone to go shopping part......

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

Of course.

- I just meant re. the madness of charging someone to go shopping part......

Please name one city that allows free parking because I'm firmly convinced that this lack of "free" parking issue that keeps being referred to as Limerick city centre's main problem is not the main problem. Both Cork & Galway city centres are in much better shape than Limerick and a recent study by Limerick Chamber has found that parking in Cork is 34% more expensive than Limerick and Galway 23%. http://www.limerickchamber.ie/news.aspx?id=845

Parking in Limerick is not the issue, it's the lack of quality retail and the lack of pedestrianisation. If you take BT and the 10 or so shops left on Cruises St out of the equation, what has the City Centre got? Not much, hence my point. Cruises St was good in it's day (1991) and seven years ago, the highest rents in Limerick City were in Cruises St.

However, rival developments in other Citys have attracted shoppers from Limerick's hinterland. Anyone see Opera Lane in Cork? http://www.operalane.com/lease/images.php
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1002/1224255675851.html It's quite nice and nice and it's helping Cork City centre greatly.

In a big town, you can pull up the car outside the door of the shop and walk off for 30 minutes. Limerick is a city and needs to start thinking like one.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

And if you think we have it bad in Limerick, 47 shops have closed in Sligo since Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

was in town today, is the main support beam leaning to the side a bit?

panic_button.jpgwoman_crying_m.jpgskull1.gifpanic-button.jpg200px-Grim_reaper.jpgambulance_launch_medium.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's lovely. A matter of days/weeks before it gets wrecked I reckon however. You just watch.

It's lovely. A matter of days/weeks before it gets wrecked I reckon however. You just watch.

As long as its flame-proof, knife-proof, brick-proof, can't be clambered onto or otherwise wilfully vandalised it'll be fine.

- It is a bit ironic that constructing some form of roof would have been ruled out as being out of Character with the existing buildings aesthetics yet its perfectly acceptable to lob up an auld pole and hang a few thousand square metres of white plastic tablecloth over it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Pictures of Milk market roof here;

http://blog.munsterbusiness.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

saw on the paper that it is the tallest canopie in the country.

has anyone thought about using this as a venue for concerts? perfect for small bands, city centre location and under cover, all they need are heaters!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

fer fecks sake, The Market was grand as it was, wasting
    bloody money spent on sh1te we dont need just like that Iron floating Christmas tree. The cash would be better spent on something functional instead of some willy nilly cosmetic
    crap. What next a feckin spire in the middle of O'Connell Street !

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

bullets wrote: »
    fer fecks sake, The Market was grand as it was, wasting
    bloody money spent on sh1te we dont need just like that Iron floating Christmas tree. The cash would be better spent on something functional instead of some willy nilly cosmetic
    crap. What next a feckin spire in the middle of O'Connell Street !

~B

if the place is used as more than just a market..maybe a venue like i mentioned above it could be quite a profitable place

dave 27 wrote: »
    if the place is used as more than just a market..maybe a venue like i mentioned above it could be quite a profitable place

But is there a valid Market for OAP Lapdancing in Limerick Dave?

- IS there?

* Sorry - May have gotten my posts mixed up :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

dave 27 wrote: »
    saw on the paper that it is the tallest canopie in the country.

has anyone thought about using this as a venue for concerts? perfect for small bands, city centre location and under cover, all they need are heaters!

Bands did play there before, the hitchers played there back in the early 1990's, would be a great little venue.

Advertisement